Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with older, 'lesser' photo printers  (Read 2959 times)

picnic

Problems with older, 'lesser' photo printers
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:14:55 am »

This seems to be an ongoing issue in print forums--that people not using higher end newer printers have issues with Lightroom printing.  I've tried to help a number of people--walk them through the color management (seems intuitive to me but I've been doing it a long time), and with calibrated monitors, using paper profiles correctly (they say) but with printers like the older Epson 220, 290, older Canons,e tc.---they get pretty bad prints they claim.  I've recommended they ask in the Adobe Lightroom forum, but I'm curious myself.  I get excellent prints, even without softproofing (though I generally do go into PS and softproof, use PKS--esp. with FAM) and find the print module pretty easy to use.   Others find it  very difficult they say--and never get good prints.  They claim, using color management, they get good prints with Qimage, PS and PSE--so what's the problem here?  

Dianet

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:07 am »

Somewhere along the line my B9180 and LR decided they didn't like each other.  Same print settings between PS and LR will give me wildly different prints.  Now it wasn't always like that.  That just started to happen out of nowhere.  So something got its undies in a bunch but I couldn't figure out what.  Haven't tried to print via LR since I went to the new PC.  Maybe I'll give it a try again.

picnic

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:27 am »

Somewhere along the line my B9180 and LR decided they didn't like each other.  Same print settings between PS and LR will give me wildly different prints.  Now it wasn't always like that.  That just started to happen out of nowhere.  So something got its undies in a bunch but I couldn't figure out what.  Haven't tried to print via LR since I went to the new PC.  Maybe I'll give it a try again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does your new PC have Vista as OS?  When I had my new PC built this Spring, I told my 'computer gus' to put XP back on as my OS.  I'm sure I will have to move to Vista at some point, but I never crash, never have any problems--and many of the ones that seem to have problems, do have Vista (but not sure all).  Just wondering.

Ah, just noticed that you haven't tried with new PC--so obviously a change in OS isn't your issue LOL--should read closer.

Diane
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:41:23 am by picnic »

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:22 am »

I posted an earlier topic similar to this one.  In my case it seems that my upgrade to Leopard has made my print drivers obsolete on the Epson 2200.  Prior to upgrading I didn't have problems with color.

Jeff Schewe responded to my inquiry telling me that it's unlikely that Epson will make the 2200 drivers fully compatible with Leopard and recommended that I uninstall the OS upgrade.

I'm busy researching new printers and am leaning towards the Epson 3800 model but based on another thread I plan on waiting until after the PMA to see if this machine is upgraded to a 3880 model with the new Vivid Magenta.   Fingers are crossed....
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

picnic

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:35:20 am »

I posted an earlier topic similar to this one.  In my case it seems that my upgrade to Leopard has made my print drivers obsolete on the Epson 2200.  Prior to upgrading I didn't have problems with color.

Jeff Schewe responded to my inquiry telling me that it's unlikely that Epson will make the 2200 drivers fully compatible with Leopard and recommended that I uninstall the OS upgrade.

I'm busy researching new printers and am leaning towards the Epson 3800 model but based on another thread I plan on waiting until after the PMA to see if this machine is upgraded to a 3880 model with the new Vivid Magenta.   Fingers are crossed....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think most of these problems were with people on PCs, so I felt I could help.  I knew about the issues with Leopard, so usually included that as something they might want to investigateif they were on a  Mac.

Which ever way you go with the 3800, I'm sure you will love it.   I bought mine last December and haven't had a clog, printing is wonderful--what can I say???   *smile*.  It would be nice, though, if it was upgraded for the newer inks.   I upgraded from a well used 2200.  I remember reading your thread and Jeff's answer--I'm hoping that maybe he has something to offer here.  It doesn't affect me, but boy--Lightroom takes a licking from a lot of people for the printing module and I can't understand what the issues are they are having--unless they totally don't know how to set up their printing (which IS the problem with a few), but doesn't seem to be the case with others.

Diane

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:32:39 pm »

FWIW Diane and D.P. - I'm running LR under Vista with no problems, printing to my B9180 is fine - either from LR or CS3

-John

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:39:07 pm »

I had a lot of oddities with that old machine and 1.3.  Most (all?) of those disappeared with the new machine.  I'll check on this one.

MBehrens

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 07:43:53 pm »

I think most of these problems were with people on PCs,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Windows does seem to have some peculiarities with LR like profiles needing to use an .ICM extension rather than .ICC, and there have been odd issues with printers attached to print servers - Adobe claims to be printing to networked printer with no issues so this may not get resolved.

One LR feature that took me a while to get a grip on is that printer driver settings are stored in LR Presets, not just LR layout settings. After realizing this my printing issues practically disappeared.

The Page Setup... Print Settings... and Print... buttons that all bring up the same driver dialog confuses folks. I frankly never use the Page Setup... button, I should go back and read the user guide to see what it says about this button, the fact that it is in the image window and the others are in the side bar must mean something.

Morey
Pages: [1]   Go Up