Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The case for open monitor standards  (Read 1260 times)

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
The case for open monitor standards
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:33:19 pm »

1. I speak from substantial experience when I say that customers want to learn to use one monitor calibration product and would rather not change if it works. The bigger the organization the more effort is directed toward that goal.
2. DDC was intended to be an open standard. It is a set of commands that was intended to provide all parties the abillty to talk to monitors.
3. Capture One clearly saw the benefit of supporting multiple camera platforms as has Adobe, Raw Developer, Bibble and many others. If camera manufacturers would not release the info as Nikon originally did not there would be a firestorm of complaints. Forcing third party providers to hack their way through camera support in the end is not a good message to send the buying public.
4. Selling a monitor that is only supported by one piece of proprietary software seems from recent history to be a bad decision as Derrick noted, Barco, Pressview and Sony are all pretty much out of the game.
5. Conveniently or not there is no way to verify whether the proprietary solution is really better than any other third party solution.
So while it is continually suggested that this discussion is driven purely by financial concerns on my part, it is exactly the opposite. This is about providing the customer with ALL the options and not forcing them to have to run multiple pieces of software for different brands of monitors.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:14:07 pm by jackbingham »
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker
Pages: [1]   Go Up