Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 bits in....  (Read 1969 times)

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
8 bits in....
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:22:19 pm »

Well it was suggested that I post this and so I will.
I don't get it. For years Andrew and company have been saying that monitors with internal high bit luts are all marketing hype and nothing else. The video card outputs 8 bits and that's all you get. LCDs should never be used at anything other than native white.
So the first thing I don't get is if you only want to use native white and high bit luts are just marketing hype why are we hearing NEC, NEC, NEC out of Andrews lips constantly these day. DDC is irrelevant if you don't want to make color adjustments in the monitor lut and even more so if Native is the only choice.
 A high bit monitor lut allows you to make critical color matching adjustments so your monitor can match your viewing light source without having to force those corrections in an 8 bit video card. I'm unclear about why we can't interpolate 8 bit video card data up to 10 or 12 bit in the monitor lut. Way smarter minds then I have decided otherwise. There are countless examples of prepress companies using high bit lut monitors and ddct to make their monitors critically match their view booths. But again if native is the only option and 8 bit is all you get, why bother hyping NEC and their software so heavily. None of that stuff works, or so we've been told.

Secondly, why NEC. There have been  other monitors that have done as good or better than NEC. Eizo immediately comes to mind, and from what I've recently seen Samsung is set to kick everybody's ass. Why NEC?
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
8 bits in....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:44:41 pm »

Most of the newer video cards output 10 bit. I agree with your opinion about Samsung.  Their LED monitor technology is about to level the playing field with accurate, affordable, wide gamut monitors.  The XL20 has been out in the US for about a year now and they are about to release the XL24. LED monitors have the advantage of even backlighting and increased color accuracy.

Marketing pays the bills for a lot of people in the graphic field.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up