Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad 50-110 construction changes?  (Read 6790 times)

NicholasR

Hasselblad 50-110 construction changes?
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:02 am »

I hate to even ask this, but searching around in the forums hasn't really gotten me anywhere.  I also hate to lend weight to camera equipment breaking reports on the internet, as if I believed them all nothing would ever work!

I am considering this zoom, for primarily tripod mounted work.  I shoot interior architecture (a minority for this lens as I usually shoot wider) and landscape/fine art.  I am aware of the size and weight.

So, question is...  Did Hasselblad reengineer this lens at some point for more durability?  I prefer to purchase used lenses when I can, is there a serial number I can check dates with, or should I just bite the bullet and purchase new so I have a warrantee?

I'm also relatively hard on equipment, things get banged around in my world. Should I just stick with the primes?

Thanks for any thoughts, and please lets not turn this into a 'blad bashing!  

Regards,
Nicholas

michael

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42:04 am »

This subject is a black hole. There is no reliable information beyond what's already been discussed, and Hasselblad has nothing to add on the topic.

It appears that the bad lenses may have been from a batch, because many people have had no problems whatsoever. My replacement lens has been perfect.

Michael

NicholasR

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:47:28 am »

This subject is a black hole. There is no reliable information beyond what's already been discussed, and Hasselblad has nothing to add on the topic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Got it.  Thanks for the response... probably why I coudn't find out anything!   I think I'll buy new.

Regards,
Nicholas

kevinwilson

• http://www.kevinwilson.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »

Got it.  Thanks for the response... probably why I coudn't find out anything!   I think I'll buy new.

Regards,
Nicholas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the 50-110 zoom and it is a MIGHTY fine lens, it is heavy and needs a tripod.
Kevin

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:13:45 pm »

I have a HC 50-110 that you are welcome to try before you buy. Just don't overly abuse it before you make a decision, is all. Hopefully you are in the US. Which H body are you using?

David

NicholasR

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:21:08 pm »

I have a HC 50-110 that you are welcome to try before you buy. Just don't overly abuse it before you make a decision, is all. Hopefully you are in the US. Which H body are you using?

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What, you don't want me to put it through a 'torture test' to be sure it won't break?    

I'm using a H3D.  Well, to be more precise, I *will* be using an H3D, as it shows up tomorrow!   Before I lay any more cash down I'm going to shoot with the 80 for a week, but if everything goes as expected and I keep the camera I'll check in to see if your lens has sold.

Regards,
Nicholas

stewarthemley

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 01:06:11 pm »

My dealer told me to stand the lens on its bayonet end, not the front element end as the zoom element can fall forward - an almost exact quote. It's a new lens, couple of weeks old so I imagine the old lenses need the same loving care. Not ideal for a working camera but I'll cope as it's such a great performer. Just glad I don't do aerial!

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »

, and please lets not turn this into a 'blad bashing!  

Regards,
Nicholas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have 50 and 80 and the front has come loose/wobbly on both of these (my 35 is perfect)

No Nikkor or Mamiya lens I have ever owned has EVER had any problems - even the nikons bought 20 years ago - they are still gonig strong

It is bloody annoying becuase both HCs need to go away to service

I keep these lenses in a billingham bag with front element pointing towards the floor - the billingham has a double thickness bottom

I have loaded them with the body attached - but never dropped the bag or suchlike

It is my opinion/guess that H series lenses are weak when subjected to loads of this nature ie a compression load along its axis

And therefore some users may have had problems while others may not dependant on load method

A nikon does not fit in a bag this way being taller than its depth so I have not loaded nikons this way

Once the lenses are repaired I will load them front element up and with the body down - annoying because I will no longer be able to 'quick draw' and also if I load the body downwards the DB will be subjected to the impact of bag drop - and in the long run I would prefer to bereak an HC than my DB - maybe there is a solution with custom cutting some foam so that the body/back supports its own wieght with the lens suspended below

That the 50 has failed with minimal abuse (Ive only had it 2 months) and its hardly ever on the camera still makes me beleive that they are poorly designed havinging in effect failed under its own weight when stored/transported upright

SMM
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:24:03 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

stewarthemley

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:20:30 pm »

I had 2 Mamiya RZ lenses fall apart, a 110 and 50. In both cases I was attaching them to the camera - carefully. I've also had a Canon 24-70 lose its front element. I'm quite careful with my stuff so either I'm unlucky or more lenses disintegrate than we realise.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »

Right now the 50-110 is my only lens, I purchased it new this year. After reading all of the problems on this forum I decided it was one lens worth getting new. I think they probably have been improved, but the documentation that comes with the lens warns against even setting it on a table with the front element facing down.

NicholasR

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:50:29 pm »

Interesting the problem with the primes. Shame you have had so many issues.  I guess I'll know soon enough, I figure if I am able to break a 1Ds then these fujiblads won't have a chance!

I just can't see myself storing the camera/lenses in my bag and worrying about their orientation.  I'll just use them as I always do and hope for the best.  

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 02:30:12 pm »

I purchased a used 50-110 about a year and a half ago and I haven't had a problem with her or any of the other HC lenses. Go for it!

Dinarius

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:48:35 am »

If there have been issues with the zoom, I would be grateful if those of you who have bought in the last few months would post the serial number of your copy. I am about to buy and I want a recent model - naturally!

Thanks.

D.

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 10:01:06 am »

I store my 35, 120 and 210 with the front towards floor in a pelicase padded roller. No issues, and they roll around a bit. The 100 is stored on the camera lying down, but i guess they are all at about a 50-60 degree angle when actually rolled around?

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »

My original ´blad lenses for the 500C and CM series came in plexiglass cases: you would bayonette-fit them into the base of their case and then screw the clear upper part of the case back on... don´t these people even supply proper cases with their lenses any longer?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:19:40 pm »

Thinking about this falling-apart lens scenario has quite ruined my snack. I have been mulling over the concept of it instead of enjoying the food.

So, for what it´s worth: any camera system that will sell lenses that fall apart, that demand special carrying orientation, is, in my mind, a system that doesn´t meet with current fitness for purpose legislation. Frankly, save your money and let such cavalier manufacturing attitudes reap their own reward: bankruptcy. They damn well deserve it!

With threatened indigestion - Rob C
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:48:07 pm by Rob C »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 12:09:29 am »

in my mind, a system that doesn´t meet with current fittness for purpose legislation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166549\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I kind of agree with that statement BUT thinking about loading/storing/carrying the lense face down with the body attached does load the lens in a quite unpleasant way especially a lens like the 80 which extends as focus changes

Further I would add that my 80 has had three years of this abuse and still functions, the 50 was purchased used so has been subjected to unknown previous abuse

There are engineering limits to any system - for example everyone knows that one should not carry a DSLR by the body when there is a 600 f4 attached - that is why 600s have thier owns handles and straps

I do not think that this problem IF it exists is enough reason to avoid the H system

One just needs to realise that is is not as rugged as a nikon F2/3 or canon F1 with a 50 1.8 attached

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 02:02:36 am »

I would think a written disclaimer that warns against setting the HC 50-110 with the front element facing down would be indicative of a lens that has been re-engineered for less durability. You are probably better off getting a used 50-110 that has never exhibited an orientation issue. My 50-110 has always been stored big end down. How the hell else are are you going to store it? Top heavy and off-balance on the bayonet end? That's non-sense. I guess I could get the barrel to extend under its own weight if I held it upside down and helped it along by grabbing the front element with a vise-grips and giving a good pull. But it's late and I'm too tired to try that.

David
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 02:08:59 am by H1/A75 Guy »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 09:35:25 am »

I don't baby my 50-110mm; it sits in my bag, objective side down. I hike with it, use it in all weather, not a problem. I did purchase a used one. Now a days, with new lens purchases, the lens booklet explains the dos and don'ts with the 50-110.

The bulk of the weight is on the objective end, so it's not like picking up the 80mm or any of the other lenses. It has a lopsided weight feel to it.

As was said above, if there was/is an issue, it's no reason to discount the H system or to make a back-handed disparaging comment towards Hasselblad. I have not seen any recent remarks about 50-110 lens problems either.

NicholasR

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 11:41:27 am »

I think the comment about not treating this equipment the same as a Nikon F or a Canon 1 series is spot on.  

Personally I am just not going to worry about it.  I'll purchase one, continue shooting, and life will go on.  My only reason for the posting was to determine if there was concrete information about a change at some point with the lens.  My question was answered in Michaels first post.  I do appreciate everyone elses input though, this seems a particularly civil and professional group.

Regards,
Nicholas
Pages: [1]   Go Up