Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick collection back to library?  (Read 3514 times)

DavidLehman

• http://www.davidrlehman.com
Quick collection back to library?
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:47:01 am »

I've thrown together photos that span different folders into a Collection to make my life easier processing out selects. However, I'd like to now have those processed files reflected in their original folder locations. Is this possible? If so, how?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:50 am »

Can you rephrase that? What exactly do you mean by "reflected"? What has happened with the processed files? How precisely did you process them?

John
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:14:18 am by johnbeardy »

DavidLehman

• http://www.davidrlehman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:21:34 am »

Can you rephrase that? What exactly do you mean by "reflected"? What has happened with the processed files? How precisely did you process them?

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I put files from different folders in one collection and processed the raw files inside the collection rather than in the folders. The edits are reflected in the collection, but not in the folders they originally came from...

What I want is to have those edited raw files in the collection have their edits reflected back in the folders...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:07:39 am »

I put files from different folders in one collection and processed the raw files inside the collection rather than in the folders. The edits are reflected in the collection, but not in the folders they originally came from...

What I want is to have those edited raw files in the collection have their edits reflected back in the folders...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're still being pretty vague. In the folders in Explorer or Finder? Or in the folders in Lightroom - in which case go back to the folders in Lightroom. Where are you processing - in Lightroom or via Photoshop?

MBehrens

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:58:54 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
First image files are not edited in LR. LR is non-destructive so the original image file (RAW or otherwise) is not effected by any Develop settings - these settings are stored in a database and reapplied each time you view the file.

The Develop settings of an image will be reflected in the folder it resides in and all collections that it is referenced to. The only way to have multiple developments of an image is to create a Virtual Copy of it and apply new Develop setting to this "Copy". Note - a Virtual Copy does not create a new file on disk, it simply puts another pointer to the original image file in LR for which another set of Develop settings can be associated with.

The only way to record the developed image to a file on disk is to export it to a file.

Morey

john545

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:58:24 pm »

I've thrown together photos that span different folders into a Collection to make my life easier processing out selects. However, I'd like to now have those processed files reflected in their original folder locations. Is this possible? If so, how?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since LR is non-destructive, and saves the changes you make to a RAW file in an xmp file, the changes will not show up in the original file. The way it works in LR is that the RAW file is your 'negative', from which you can create images. You do this by exporting the RAW edit as a TIF or jpg file (I recommend TIF). This allows you to come back to a RAW file and re-process it or process it differently. This is actually a good thing.

For instance, if you hang onto the RAW file indefinitely, in 10 years, you could come back and reprocess it with the latest technology, or...well, you can imagine the possibilities.

At any rate, to answer your question specifically:

To have 'the file' show up in your folder, you export it as TIF (or jpg), named as you wish, to the folder you wish to have it appear in, saving your RAW file for future edits and exports.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up