Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rollei on alpa  (Read 5822 times)

berg

rollei on alpa
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:15:26 pm »

Hello
I will get my Afi7 in a matter of days. I have the Cambo Wide and the Ultima 23(wich is very nice).
However i am not so satisfied with the Wide DS, and was thinking to replace it with Alpa XY or better
the Alpa 12 Max. The good thing is that i can use my Rollei/Afi lenses with the Alpa ( i know rollei lens control and adapter ) but will the lenses, even covering 6x6 be up to it in terms of CA etc.
Lens quality is a major issue for me so can anyone tell me if the lenses are up to it or if i should get the schneider or rodenstock lenses.
Just to say i would keep my wideangle schneider lenses just konvert them to the alpamount. I am only thinking of the longer rollei lenses 40 mm 50 mm 60 mm 90 mm and so on.

ynp

• http://
rollei on alpa
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:39:55 am »

I have been using the Rollei - ALPA adapter on my SWA for copying work for more than a year. I used the 80mm/ 2.8 AF and 90 mm Makro on the copying stand and the 180 mm. on a tripod. I used  the eMotion 22 and later the eMotion 75LV. The Rollei-ALPA combo is a very useful configuration. All lenses worked very well with the 22 mpx back even with movements (I use shifts to control reflections on the paintings when I have no polarisers on my lights with some limited success), no noticeable CA with shifts about 12 mm. I tried the e75 with the 90mm Apo Symmar with shifts and CA was there, nothing extreme, easily controlled with the Brumbaer DNG Konverter.
Yevgeny

berg

rollei on alpa
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:04:22 pm »

I have been using the Rollei - ALPA adapter on my SWA for copying work for more than a year. I used the 80mm/ 2.8 AF and 90 mm Makro on the copying stand and the 180 mm. on a tripod. I used  the eMotion 22 and later the eMotion 75LV. The Rollei-ALPA combo is a very useful configuration. All lenses worked very well with the 22 mpx back even with movements (I use shifts to control reflections on the paintings when I have no polarisers on my lights with some limited success), no noticeable CA with shifts about 12 mm. I tried the e75 with the 90mm Apo Symmar with shifts and CA was there, nothing extreme, easily controlled with the Brumbaer DNG Konverter.
Yevgeny
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much Yevgeny
I am a not happy to hear that you found CA on the macro 90mm, its meant to be one of the best
lenses in the range?
best
Berg

ynp

rollei on alpa
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:32:17 am »

Berg,

It was not my intention to bash the 90mm Makro, indeed it is one of the best, and INHO better (sharper with digital) than the older 120mm Makro. Sorry, wrong choice of words.

I was trying to say that there was NO CA when I used the 90 mm lens on the ALPA without shifts or on my 6008AF, and I noticed a minor cast with shifts. I cannot say that it  was lens' fault of a problem with the eMotion 75 (33 mpx). I had no CA (at least visible ) with my eMotion 22 even with extreme movements, and some other users on this forum said that 33 mpx. dalsa sensors are more prone to CA.
All the casts were very easily dealt with the Brunbaer DNG tool (white shots through the opaque plate) and corrected automatically in the software. I am sure that Sinar CaptureShop and Leaf Software can do the same kind of corrections. BTW  for focusing Rollei lenses on ALPAs I use a small tethering program Stephan Hess (Brumbaer) very kindly sent to me. It is enough to get a correct position of the lens, evaluate the exposure and then switch to shooting to the CF card. Very easy.
Yevgeny

Thank you very much Yevgeny
I am a not happy to hear that you found CA on the macro 90mm, its meant to be one of the best
lenses in the range?
best
Berg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:34:05 am by ynp »

berg

rollei on alpa
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:57:38 pm »

Yevgeny thank you.

That sounds very good i thought you meant Chromatic Aberration, i can live with Color Cast no problem to solve that.
The thing with you describe for composing is it like a little computer or how does it work and look lige.......... please fill me in????

berg

ynp

rollei on alpa
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:36:42 am »

Dear Berg,
I use my MacBook Pro tethered  for focusing. I just hope Apple will introduce something smaller this year.  I do not own a Ground Glass plate+ bag.
I am attaching the files with my  setup.
The camera is  the ALPA WA Special Edition, no shift. I have no Lenscontrol here  in my office (my day job) to include in the images. The Back -  Sinar eMotion 54LV.
Yevgeny
Yevgeny thank you.

That sounds very good i thought you meant Chromatic Aberration, i can live with Color Cast no problem to solve that.
The thing with you describe for composing is it like a little computer or how does it work and look lige.......... please fill me in????

berg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:38:26 am by ynp »

berg

rollei on alpa
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:12 am »

Dear Berg,
I use my MacBook Pro tethered  for focusing. I just hope Apple will introduce something smaller this year.  I do not own a Ground Glass plate+ bag.
I am attaching the files with my  setup.
The camera is  the ALPA WA Special Edition, no shift. I have no Lenscontrol here  in my office (my day job) to include in the images. The Back -  Sinar eMotion 54LV.
Yevgeny
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Yevgeny
Thanks for the pictures. I use Mac book pro myself to teather to my Aptus75 soon to be Afi, but like
you, i would prefer something smaller to compose and sharpen. I find Live Video so much more precise, than using groundglass. I have asked leaf, to get live video directly on the back, since they have the big screen already, but i guess it will eat to much power and get to hot.
I have my rollei lenses. They are a bit heavy compared to the smaller non retrofocus lenses designed for Alpa. Do you think there is to much stress at the joint between rollei lens and alpa body in regards to the weight of these lenses
best
berg

ynp

rollei on alpa
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 11:30:42 am »

Dear  Berg,

I use Live Video and find it very useful.

Rollei Lenses and the adapter: I think that the ALPA Rollei adapter is very well made (as all the things ALPA does) and sturdy , the heaviest lens I own is the 180 mm and I did not notice any problems with the adapter (even with the heavy Format filter holder) in the horizontal position.

I noticed that in the vertical position (on the copying stand) longer Rollei lenses can "unwind" (I hope that is the right word?). I mean that under its own weight it sometimes can lose focus and I was advised  to tape the lens barrel in one piece and move the camera instead.

Have a good weekend,
Yevgeny

Dear Yevgeny
Thanks for the pictures. I use Mac book pro myself to teather to my Aptus75 soon to be Afi, but like
you, i would prefer something smaller to compose and sharpen. I find Live Video so much more precise, than using groundglass. I have asked leaf, to get live video directly on the back, since they have the big screen already, but i guess it will eat to much power and get to hot.
I have my rollei lenses. They are a bit heavy compared to the smaller non retrofocus lenses designed for Alpa. Do you think there is to much stress at the joint between rollei lens and alpa body in regards to the weight of these lenses
best
berg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

berg

rollei on alpa
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »

Dear  Berg,

I use Live Video and find it very useful.

Rollei Lenses and the adapter: I think that the ALPA Rollei adapter is very well made (as all the things ALPA does) and sturdy , the heaviest lens I own is the 180 mm and I did not notice any problems with the adapter (even with the heavy Format filter holder) in the horizontal position.

I noticed that in the vertical position (on the copying stand) longer Rollei lenses can "unwind" (I hope that is the right word?). I mean that under its own weight it sometimes can lose focus and I was advised  to tape the lens barrel in one piece and move the camera instead.

Have a good weekend,
Yevgeny
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Yevgeny
Thank you for answering my questions, i will get the lens adapter and rollei lens control.

I know what you mean by lens unwinding out of focus. I guess it has nothing to do with the adapter fitting.

Thanks again
best
berg
Pages: [1]   Go Up