Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A700 -greater than 12bit RAW files?  (Read 12371 times)

John Sheehy

A700 -greater than 12bit RAW files?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 10:43:45 pm »

It does, occasionally, close on me as well. Do you see the values above 8190 for the colourized images?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166241\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No.  There are three different interpolation algorithms, so maybe one or two of them extrapolate a bit beyond the RAW data, if you're getting greater than 8190 after "convert a CFA image", but not applying WB.

I have seen the extrapolation in the past, but I don't remember the circumstances.

dunmunro

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 01:47:12 am »

5.52 still just closes itself on me unexpectedly when the file picker is open, like 5.50 and 5.51 did.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you use the decode RAW files option under the digital photo, drop down menu, IRIS will appear to close, but the IRIS icon will be on the windows menu bar, click on it, and you will see a window where you can drop and drag files for conversion. Click on done, and the main IRIS window is restored.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 08:25:26 pm »

David Coffin has gently given an explanation to me for this "behaviour": samples going beyond 4095 come from 8-bit decompressed RAW data. They can go beyond 4095, but they will never produce more than 4095 different non-null values.

"Hi Guillermo, Now I see what's happening. It's in the sony_arw2_load_raw()function. The Sony DSLR-A700 supports two formats: packed with 12 bits per pixel, and compressed with 8 bits per pixel (a fixedcompression ratio achieved by sacrificing quality as needed). Decompressing the 8-bit data yields values from 0 to 8191. To maintain compatibility with the 12-bit packed mode, I doubled the latter. This allows the user to specify the same darkness and saturation values for both data formats." David Coffin explained.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:59:11 pm by GLuijk »

John Sheehy

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 10:03:16 pm »

If you use the decode RAW files option under the digital photo, drop down menu, IRIS will appear to close, but the IRIS icon will be on the windows menu bar, click on it, and you will see a window where you can drop and drag files for conversion. Click on done, and the main IRIS window is restored.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No; when this happens to me IRIS is totally gone; not even listed in Task Manager.

Gone, gone, gone.

dunmunro

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 03:07:21 am »

No; when this happens to me IRIS is totally gone; not even listed in Task Manager.

Gone, gone, gone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166635\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that does happen to me occasionally, as I mentioned.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up