Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not clour management by printer?  (Read 3445 times)

LKCH

• http://www.christianehoej.dk
Why not clour management by printer?
« on: January 08, 2008, 04:59:48 pm »

There seems to be general agreement, that when printing from LR you should select your printing profile in LR and turn of colour managent in the printer driver.

However, after a few tests i generally find that my prints are closer to the screen version when I do the opposite, that is instructs LR to let the printer manage colours and turn on ICM in the printer driver.

Of course I could just go on and be happy with that. However - I wonder if there are some drawbacks with this method, that I might have overlooked?

Yours
Lars

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:43:44 am »

Hi,

I guess it's fine if you are satisfied. That essentially means that:

- You can't use paper specific profiles (except those built into the printer)
- You probably loose some color gamut

Best regards
Erik

There seems to be general agreement, that when printing from LR you should select your printing profile in LR and turn of colour managent in the printer driver.

However, after a few tests i generally find that my prints are closer to the screen version when I do the opposite, that is instructs LR to let the printer manage colours and turn on ICM in the printer driver.

Of course I could just go on and be happy with that. However - I wonder if there are some drawbacks with this method, that I might have overlooked?

Yours
Lars
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

Damir

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:12:43 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I guess it's fine if you are satisfied. That essentially means that:

- You can't use paper specific profiles (except those built into the printer)
- You probably loose some color gamut

Best regards
Erik

I dont know about every printer in the market but I can add ICC profiles to my HP printers.

Probably or for sure?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:21 am »

It'll depend on the printer model and driver, and driver settings.

In some cases you can load external profiles directly into the driver; in some cases you cannot.

If you use application-managed color, then as long as the application (e.g., LR) has a general mechanism for loading profiles, then you can print with whatever profiles you wish, regardless of the printer model. Of course, if the profiles themselves are problematic for some reason, the results won't look good ...
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up