Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectraview not recognizing Spyder2 puck  (Read 4945 times)

cn15

Spectraview not recognizing Spyder2 puck
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:31:36 am »

Recently I bought the NEC 2190uxi monitor and since I have an old Spyder2 Express kit, I decided to buy the NEC Spectraview2 software only to calibrate the monitor using the Spyder2 puck in order to save a few bucks.  I am running Windows XP SP2.  The installation went fine but SV does not recognize the Spyder2 puck which is plugged into an USB port.  I followed the trouble shooting steps outlined in the SV manual without success.  The SV2 manual specifically states that it supports Spyder2 puck.

1.  Any suggestions as to why SV does not recognize the Spyder2 puck?
2.  Should I even use the Spyder2 puck?  Since I already have the SV2 software, buying the NEC SV2 kit means paying $250 just for the Eye-one puck.  Is there a better alternative?

Thanks.
Chuong

MBehrens

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:35:27 am »

1.  Any suggestions as to why SV does not recognize the Spyder2 puck?
2.  Should I even use the Spyder2 puck?  Since I already have the SV2 software, buying the NEC SV2 kit means paying $250 just for the Eye-one puck.  Is there a better alternative?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is SV supposed to recognize the Spyder puck? If not it probably won't.

From what I've read the Spyder puck is fairly highly rated. I've been looking at upgrading from the Spyder2Express software, to a Pro version that will support setting the luminance. I was looking at the Color Eyes Display Pro that supports the Spyder 2 puck. I loaded the demo and set the luminance to 120 cd/m2 and then calibrated. It worked very well.

I reran the Spyder2Express calibration with the ColorEyes luminance settings and I cannot see any difference between the two calibrations.

The ColorEyes Display Pro could be an option for you, it run $175 I believe.

Morey

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:53:23 am »

Is SV supposed to recognize the Spyder puck? If not it probably won't.

Yes it is although its far from the best product to use with this unit.

The ColorEyes Display Pro could be an option for you, it run $175 I believe.

Waste of good money, the OP would be better off using that to buy an EyeOne Display-2. The NEC is a "Smart Monitor" using its own software and supported Colorimeters. You lose that with any 3rd party software.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:33:15 pm »

Boy I don't even know where to begin. Since this is from the 8 bits in 8 bits out guy ddc capability is irrelevant. "Smart monitors" benefit from their internal 10-14 bit luts being adjustable. But as Andrew has stated over and over and over again, it's 8 bit in and 8 bits out. Let's all remember Native white is the only choice, and we have been reminded of that by Andrew and Chris Murphy and others as late as Photo East. As far as I know there have been no new developments that would change their perspective, unless someone is being paid to rep a particular product.
So from that perspective Coloreyes will do every bit as good a job as Spectraview and probably better by using the OSD to set color and brightness and then just building a profile.
And while we're on that subject, as a third party vendor of software, we think monitor makers with "smart monitors" not making sdk's available to ALL third parties does not sever the customer well. Someone with an Eizo or LaCie or Samsung certainly would rather use one piece of software for any new monitor they buy than have to run two or more. It just makes sense.
Unless of course you think NEC will take over the world in which case it's a great strategy. However from what I've seen, Samsung might have something to say about that, and Eizo has pretty good market share too.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:01:52 pm »

I'll stick with my original advice, I don't have a software product to peddle around here....

Yup, its still 8-bit in and out.

Its pretty obvious why someone like good ol' Jack would come back after all these months and like his partner on the ColorSync list cry about this SDK nonsense. You two will have to take this up with NEC. But lets look at the costs and benefits to the customer and the history of what Jack will prefer me to call proprietary software driving a reference display (PressView, Barco, Sony Artisan). Is it any surprise he's not happy with the results and the advise of color geeks like Chris, myself (and Karl Lang)?

It would certainly benefit Jack's bottom line if he could drive the NEC, that much is sure.

As to "ColorEye's will do every bit as good a job as Spectraview and probably better, well that's up to Jack to PROVE.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:53:07 am »

1.  Any suggestions as to why SV does not recognize the Spyder2 puck?

Did you install the Spyder2 drivers included on the SV CD-ROM?

cn15

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 03:46:20 am »

Did you install the Spyder2 drivers included on the SV CD-ROM?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for pointing out this obvious detail to me.  I didn't realize that the driver for the Spyder2 puck is included in the SV2 installation CD.  So I uninstalled the original Spyder2 Express software and installed the Spyder2 driver from the NEC SV disc and it worked.  I am just amazed at the level of customized calibration I can do with SV2 and this monitor.

I much appreciate all the inputs.
Chuong

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:20:56 am »

As usual Andrew you have forced the discussion away from the actual technical issues by suggesting our comments are purely money driven. I personally am getting really bored with that and hence spend very little time here listening to you try to divert a relevant point to a personal slam.
If the only way this works is 8 bits in and 8 bits out, then the internal monitor lut is completely irrelevant. Having software to adjust a high bit lut, that has no benefit, as Andrew has stated makes that point very clear. So why buy software that is specific built for only one monitor that adds no value to that monitor. Stop running away from your words. They have been blunt and on going.
As for my take on NEC it won't represent a big financial gain for me. Actually my point is that it would be a better deal for them to support ALL third party vendors. Customers who have eizos will not be fond of the idea of buying an NEC and having to run two separate pieces of software for calibration. It's a stupid idea. It's not about money, it's about customer support and it's long past time you stopped trying to spin this with personal assaults.
There's no point taking this up with NEC, they're not interested. Customers need to demand what they need. And by the way this is really no different than you hollering on and on and on about the reason we need DNG. It's about open support for the customer.
Please spare me the personal financial gain crap again. This is not the place, you don't know us at all.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

D_Brown

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:02:12 am »

"But lets look at the costs and benefits to the customer and the history of what Jack will prefer me to call proprietary software driving a reference display (PressView, Barco, Sony Artisan). "

Fine reference point actually........  All three strongly positioned quality products that insisted on standing alone "proprietary" in the marketplace.  None of them are players now(at least like they were).  The modern display companies are all designing to industry standard communication protocals.

As far as the 8 bit issue without trying to stray too much here, it maybe helpful to some viewers to compare this to printer profiling.
"If" you can calibrate to printer (reads "linearize it") before making the profile of said printer, your 8 bit print data (gradients, for example) is less likely to be banded thru the profile transform since there will be less correction work actually needed by the profile itself.
This is where you can compare monitors with downloadable LUTs.  This is very similar on the surface to the print profiling example above.  Fine tuning the monitor hardware will better "render" you 8 bit display data with less artifacts.
The less work one has to perform on the 8 bit video card the more hands off the data the monitor profile can be.  This translates into smoother gradients with the 8 bits you have.

And lastly, the user of the Spyder2, i did find out that there was a brief period where there were specific serial number sequences that didnt talk but only to specific versions of colorvision software.  If your spyder2 is 18months(ish) old or newer you should be ok.  Off hand I dont recall what serial number lot group those were, my apologies.

Derrick, Integrated Color

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:33:28 am »

As usual Andrew you have forced the discussion away from the actual technical issues by suggesting our comments are purely money driven.

No, just you and your partner.

The problem is solved, without resorting to hocking a product the OP didn't need. Which is the reason we have such forums and why I replied with suggestions and a solution.

If you wish to start another thread about how NEC is evil for not producing an SDK (which is like Apple suggesting Adobe should provide an SDK for Vibrance so they can use it in Aperture), go for it bud. Start a new post about 8-bit in and out, DDC or Smart Monitors (or how you think your product makes any off the shelf display into a reference unit). OP is up and running, happy with the product. I've done me job. All without peddling anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up