Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Same image looking better in PS than in LR?  (Read 3008 times)

The View

Same image looking better in PS than in LR?
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:34:55 am »

My workflow is to do basic adjustments in LR, and then export to Photoshop.

Then it goes back to Lightroom.

I always have the impression, images look slightly different when re-imported from Photoshop into Lightroom. Photoshop seems to show more nuances in light, and the images looks better.

Have you noticed things like these?

I had planned to leave the selected images in Bridge, but then, because of workflow issues, I decided to have them fall back into LR.

I'm not so sure any more if I made the right decision, and if I shouldn't leave the best images within Photoshop.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:35 am »

What is your exact process?

The View

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:20:02 pm »

After using the Lightroom's RAW adjustments all the way, I do some adjustments in Curves and then in Hue/Saturation, followed by a smart sharpening. I also do some retouching using the dodge/burn tools.

But, generally, I have the impression, even when the image just opens in Photoshop, just coming from LR, and without any adjustments made, it somehow looks better, more alive in its light. ( Metaphors needed, as it is a subjective impression, that is not quite quantifiable in factual terms).
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

I mean exact - what file type do you export, color space, etc.?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:45:01 am »

But, generally, I have the impression, even when the image just opens in Photoshop, just coming from LR, and without any adjustments made, it somehow looks better, more alive in its light. ( Metaphors needed, as it is a subjective impression, that is not quite quantifiable in factual terms).

Check your color management settings in both apps to make sure both are using your current monitor profile. If not, that is likely your problem, But if both are configured correctly, given that LR and PS are both Adobe products and use a common color management code base, I would suspect that the image bits being sent to the monitor are identical (at least at 100% magnification), and any perceived differences are due to being framed in a different user interface, or else entirely your imagination.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:47:17 am by Jonathan Wienke »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:16:40 pm »

Check your color management settings in both apps to make sure both are using your current monitor profile. If not, that is likely your problem, But if both are configured correctly, given that LR and PS are both Adobe products and use a common color management code base, I would suspect that the image bits being sent to the monitor are identical (at least at 100% magnification), and any perceived differences are due to being framed in a different user interface, or else entirely your imagination.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166110\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Check also that you don't have the preference to "apply auto-adjust when importing" (something like that) checked.

I think it's a bug, really: even if there's some use for that option (is there?), it shouldn't be re-applied when importing a shot that's only had a round-trip to Photoshop.

Jeremy

The View

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

Thanks for your replies.

It's not that striking that the colors seem different. The colors are find in both.

It's a much more subtle difference. It's more like the difference between a good lens and an excellent lens.

The quality of light.

I know it really hit me when I first opened an LR image in PS (I started out in LR, and bought PS later).

I mean, does anybody know how it works in both LR and PS to display an image on screen in ProPhoto color space? LR is mainly Camera Raw, and can open other image formats, too.

Another comparison: in music, it's natural that the same CD sounds different on different systems.

So, I wonder, couldn't it be possible that the same image looks a bit different displayed by different software apps?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 07:29:32 am »

So, I wonder, couldn't it be possible that the same image looks a bit different displayed by different software apps?

Doubtful, since both apps are written by the same company and share a common code base, and the probability that the bits being sent to the monitor from a given image at a given magnification from both apps being identical is quite high. With the monitor being the same and the image being the same, all of the possible analog sources of variation are ruled out. Everything else is math, which doesn't generally have a unit-to-unit variation.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 07:59:28 am »

Doubtful, since both apps are written by the same company and share a common code base, and the probability that the bits being sent to the monitor from a given image at a given magnification from both apps being identical is quite high.

More so than that.. my understanding is that ACR and LR actually share the same RAW conversion enjine at their core.

Therefore.. all things being equal - a RAW conversion from ACR at default, should match a RAW conversion from LR with the same defaults. There should not be a difference.

If you are getting different results then there may be an issue with your color management settings as suggested above.

I am sure Jeff S. can confirm or deny.

Alternativley.. or rather as a side comment - my understanding [and this MAY be inccorect] is that LR generates a preview on screen based on the meta data changes made in LR for a given RAW file.  In other words... LR is showing a preview of the demosaiced file with changes you have made.. not the final file as it would be exported in TIFF. LR creates a preview on screen, which is NOT necessarily exactly equivalent [although very similar] to the finally de-mosaiced RAW file when exporting to TIFF with the LR adjustments.

Perhaps someone more noligable can confirm or correct me on this last point.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up