Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicated H3D Flash  (Read 9913 times)

garyleif

Dedicated H3D Flash
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »

I was told by Hasselblad that they don't sell a flash for thier H3d-39 camera.  I asked them what they recommend and they said Metz unitls, either sho mount 44, 54 or 58 MZ.  Then they said for TTL you have to use module SCA3902.  OK, I looked on various sites, B&H Photo, ect. ect. and it looks like the Flash unit is $350 plus or minus.  So then I looked at that SCA3902 and that's $170 bucks.  What the heck is this SCA3902?  Can I just plug the flash on my H3D camera and will it work?  Does teh SCA3902 attach to the bottom of the flash and remove the other base? or does it go ontop of the base that comes on the flash?  When you look for the Metz 58Mz, I don't find one for the Hasselblad.  I find them for Cannon, Nikon, but not Hasse!

Talk about being confused, they don't explain it very well.  Can someone explain this to me or tell me if there is a better flash to use?  Maybe the new flashes don't really need the TTL metering?  Any help would be appreciated, before I hang myself!!!!

Thanks,

Gary Leif

H1/A75 Guy

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:33:09 am »

Metz flash units are designed to fit various camera platforms with the addition of dedicated SCA (electronic) Adapters. The Hasselblad SCA 3902 Adapter enables Metz flash units (compatible with the SCA3002 system) to take advantage of the automatic flash control abilities of H series cameras. The Hasselblad SCA 3902 adapter slides into the bottom of a compatible Metz flash. This allows the Metz flash to be fitted into the hotshoe of of any H camera with full functionality. I have a Hasselblad SCA 3902 Adapter for sale for $99US, if you are interested.

David
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:03:34 am by H1/A75 Guy »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:31 am »

I don't shoot with Hass, but the Mamiya AFDII set-up is the same way.  If you don't need TTL, you can put just about any flash in the shoe and set it manually.  For me that 1/2 way works because usually I just need fill for outdoor portraits.  My issue with the Metz option is the size of the flash - it's BIG.  With the Mamiya it's a 44 or 54.  When all I need is a couple watts for fill, that's alot of overkill.  Of course, going back to full manual flash is bit extreme too.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:22:48 am »

The amazing thing is that there are two different modules made for the Hasselblad. One is labeled Hasselblad and the other is labeled Metz. THey are made by METZ and are basically identical except for the label and price-- about 2 times difference. I have the less expensive one and it works well on the Hasselblad H2.  The other thing I would suggest is an off camera flash.  You can buy a wired SCA model for the hasselblad H as well. I have this and then place my flash on a RRS off camera flash   bracket that connects to the L plate. SInce i use canon gear as well, I can use the same flash by just changing the module. Mark

I was told by Hasselblad that they don't sell a flash for thier H3d-39 camera.  I asked them what they recommend and they said Metz unitls, either sho mount 44, 54 or 58 MZ.  Then they said for TTL you have to use module SCA3902.  OK, I looked on various sites, B&H Photo, ect. ect. and it looks like the Flash unit is $350 plus or minus.  So then I looked at that SCA3902 and that's $170 bucks.  What the heck is this SCA3902?  Can I just plug the flash on my H3D camera and will it work?  Does teh SCA3902 attach to the bottom of the flash and remove the other base? or does it go ontop of the base that comes on the flash?  When you look for the Metz 58Mz, I don't find one for the Hasselblad.  I find them for Cannon, Nikon, but not Hasse!
 Talk about being confused, they don't explain it very well.  Can someone explain this to me or tell me if there is a better flash to use?  Maybe the new flashes don't really need the TTL metering?  Any help would be appreciated, before I hang myself!!!!

Thanks,

Gary Leif
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

garyleif

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:55:07 am »

> I have a Hasselblad SCA 3902 Adapter for sale for $99US, if you are interested.

Yes, I am interested...  Email me gary@leifphoto.com with contact information and I'll purchase it.

Thanks for your input.

Gary

garyleif

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:57:25 am »

MarkKay,

tell me more about the Wire SCA unit, you talk about.  How does that connect to the Hasselblad?  What parts do you need?  Can you use the model 58, that you can also put on the camera?  anything to help me understand would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Gary
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:57:57 am by garyleif »

MarkKay

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:20:43 am »

You need the SCA adapter for the flash as mentioned above and this. SCA 3008 or 3008A. i cannot remember which i have and i am out of town
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2382...Off_Camera.html

MarkKay,

tell me more about the Wire SCA unit, you talk about.  How does that connect to the Hasselblad?  What parts do you need?  Can you use the model 58, that you can also put on the camera?  anything to help me understand would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

H1/A75 Guy

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:25 am »

Gary, In looking at a picture of the Metz 58 AF-1 Flash Canon I'm unclear as to whether it is compatible with the SCA 3902/SCA 3008A system being discussed. Please check again with your local H dealer for compatibility.

David
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:46:08 am by H1/A75 Guy »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 12:33:01 am »

For shoe mount flashes, it looks like the 44 and 54 are the only two options -

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/da...ablitz.138.html

MarkKay

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:07:17 am »

I was speaking of the metz 54 and cannot speak to the others

For shoe mount flashes, it looks like the 44 and 54 are the only two options -

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/da...ablitz.138.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166056\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

awofinden

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:09 am »

I was speaking of the metz 54 and cannot speak to the others
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure how the TTL will work, I have had problems trying to use TTL with a metz and a mamiya 645 afd with a back on. I had a chat with the guys at B & H and they were saying that the TTL works by a sensor in the camera that measures the light that reflects off of the film and is calibrated for that whereas a digital back reflects light in a totally different manner therefore screwing up the TTL metering. I definitely had the right TTL module but couldn't get the TTL to work so I had to use the Automatic setting relying on the thyristor in the flash and it worked surprisingly well. There isn't much info on using TTL with digital backs on the internet it seems which is a pain.

paulhu

Dedicated H3D Flash
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:01 am »

I have the Metz 54-3, and a SCA adapter for Hasselblad H3D and a SCA adapter for Mamiya 645 AFD II.  I can use TTL flash on both cameras w/o any problem with this Metz flash. Metz 54 series takes all SC3xx2 series adapter for the variety of cameras.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:13:10 am by paulhu »
Pages: [1]   Go Up