Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combine Arrow Buttons With Sliders in Develop?  (Read 7170 times)

jkooi

Combine Arrow Buttons With Sliders in Develop?
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:23:21 pm »

I prefer clicking on arrow buttons (as in Quick Develop) to adjust values but would also like to see sliders/numbers (as in Develop) at the same time.  Was hoping there was a config setting to enable this but haven't been able to find anything.  Have I just missed it or is this not possible?

seanmcfoto

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:49 pm »

You've missed the difference between them completely. Quick Develop makes relative adjustments, whereas Develop makes absolute adjustments.
When you are working a number of files with differing settings, Quick Develop respects those differences, where Develop will brute force them all to the same numerical value.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

jkooi

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:45:50 pm »

You've missed the difference between them completely. Quick Develop makes relative adjustments, whereas Develop makes absolute adjustments.
When you are working a number of files with differing settings, Quick Develop respects those differences, where Develop will brute force them all to the same numerical value.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I didn't state what I was after very well.  This wasn't a question about usage of Quick Develop vs. Develop--I'd simply like to be able to use arrow buttons for fine adjustments along with sliders (for ballpark adjustments) actually in ANY Adobe photo-editing app.

Like a lot of people I make ballpark adjustments with sliders then click in the value field associated with the slider and then do incremental adjustments using the arrow keys.  Why not just have small arrow buttons right above the slider, or simply make the value field a spinner?  Then gross and fine adjustments could be made more quickly/efficiently with just the mouse.

Andy M

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:51:45 pm »

100% agree

Brentbat

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:56 pm »

Why not just have small arrow buttons right above the slider, or simply make the value field a spinner?  Then gross and fine adjustments could be made more quickly/efficiently with just the mouse.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I assume you are aware that you can click on the exposure slider and then use your keyboard arrows (up, right) to increase and (down, left)to decrease.... One direction is coarser than the other (can't remember which off the top of my head).

woffles

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:08:52 pm »

You can also click and hold on the value to the right of the slider and do fine adjustment by moving the mouse left and right.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:56:34 pm »

Holding the alt or shift keys down when you use the arrows also changes how big the change is. And you don't have to actually click, you can just point with the mouse to which slider you want to change.

I point with my right hand and use the arrow keys with my left. It's a little awkward but it works.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 06:28:50 pm »

I point with my right hand and use the arrow keys with my left. It's a little awkward but it works.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Use the mouse left handed. A bit odd at first, but you get used to it. This means I can use the Wacom tablet with my right. I use which ever hand works best depending on what keyboard things I'm doing and it also helps reduce RSI.
We were born with two hands, always seemed a bit daft to me to only use one of them!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:29:32 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jkooi

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 06:43:30 pm »

I assume you are aware that you can click on the exposure slider and then use your keyboard arrows (up, right) to increase and (down, left)to decrease.... One direction is coarser than the other (can't remember which off the top of my head).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but now it seems you're actually forced to click in the value field to get the finest adjustment increment.  In PS/ACR, once you click on the slider, the field is highlighted and you can use the arrow keys immediately for finest adjustment.   Once I've played with the slider I'm typically ready to go right to finest adjustment, so going first to an intermediate/coarse adjustment level with the arrow keys is not very useful to me.

It would be so much nicer and more straigthforward just to have the coarse/fine "chevron" buttons available right above the slider.

Satch

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:32:16 am »

I'd also like to be able to use the arrow buttons for coarse/fine adjustment in Develop.  Seems like such a no brainer.  Hello LR Dev Team?  You actually have someone who has gone to using the mouse with their left hand because (as another respondent put it) it's "awkward" to come over with the left hand and use the arrow keys for fine adjustment.  Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to do it interface-wise, either (since it's already been done in QD).  For people that don't want to see them, just make it a config option.

jjj

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:46:21 am »

I'd also like to be able to use the arrow buttons for coarse/fine adjustment in Develop.  Seems like such a no brainer.  Hello LR Dev Team?  You actually have someone who has gone to using the mouse with their left hand because (as another respondent put it) it's "awkward" to come over with the left hand and use the arrow keys for fine adjustment.  Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to do it interface-wise, either (since it's already been done in QD).  For people that don't want to see them, just make it a config option.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No I use my left hand as I have two hands and it seems pointless to use just one. I walk to the shop, not hop even though I'm goofy footed [the equivalent of left handed with feet when on skateboard or snowboard].
I just mentioned this way of working making lots of things easier, for instance using arrows and mouse.

jjj

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:55:46 am »

Also there's another way of making sliders less fiddly, make them much bigger.

This is my set up and that's across two monitors 2560 wide desktop.
seems a bit odd, but I did it to get around LR's not recognising two monitors, the added benefit being greater finesse with sliders.

Go to Jeffrey Friedl's blog and tweak LR's interface in ways Adobe won't let you.
http://regex.info/blog/2007-03-13/395
You have to do a little quiz to prove you aren't an idiot and won't screw up LR. And if you can read/follow instructions, it shouldn't be a problem.
Other useful stuff there too.

Satch

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 12:26:27 pm »

No I use my left hand as I have two hands and it seems pointless to use just one. I walk to the shop, not hop even though I'm goofy footed [the equivalent of left handed with feet when on skateboard or snowboard].
I just mentioned this way of working making lots of things easier, for instance using arrows and mouse.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167339\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What???  In direct response to someone that said, "I point with my right hand and use the arrow keys with my left. It's a little awkward but it works.", you suggested using the mouse left-handed.  This person (as I am) is already using two hands but feels it's awkward.  Now you're saying no I just switched to using the mouse left handed because I like to use both hands?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:27 pm »

I was just about to add to the complaints, but after playing around with the UI a bit I discovered (at least in Windows) that if you click into the actual numerical value text-field:

[Up-Arrow] [Down-Arrow] will adjust the value, for exposure, in tenth stop increments.  The [Tab] key will move you to the next value text-field, [Shift]+[Tab] to the previous.  

What *was* thowing me off previously is that when LR loses focus, it also loses any existing focus on a control - you have to re-select control focus with the mouse.

hth - John

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 03:56:09 pm »

I was just about to add to the complaints, but after playing around with the UI a bit I discovered (at least in Windows) that if you click into the actual numerical value text-field:

[Up-Arrow] [Down-Arrow] will adjust the value, for exposure, in tenth stop increments.  The [Tab] key will move you to the next value text-field, [Shift]+[Tab] to the previous. 

What *was* thowing me off previously is that when LR loses focus, it also loses any existing focus on a control - you have to re-select control focus with the mouse.

hth - John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
THANK YOU! I had completely missed that one. I see if you hold down the shift key and use the up/down arrows it moves in one third stop increments. Cheers, David

jjj

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 12:27:26 pm »

What???  In direct response to someone that said, "I point with my right hand and use the arrow keys with my left. It's a little awkward but it works.", you suggested using the mouse left-handed.  This person (as I am) is already using two hands but feels it's awkward.  Now you're saying no I just switched to using the mouse left handed because I like to use both hands?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try reading all the words in postsm in the order written and you won't get so confused.

I simply suggested using left hand for mouse as it's easier for task in question [and many others as it happens], nowhere did I say I used my mouse left handed due to LR's flaws. I used my mouse with both hands before LR was even in deveolpment!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:28:52 pm by jjj »

Satch

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 01:42:17 pm »

Try reading all the words in postsm in the order written and you won't get so confused.

I simply suggested using left hand for mouse as it's easier for task in question [and many others as it happens], nowhere did I say I used my mouse left handed due to LR's flaws. I used my mouse with both hands before LR was even in deveolpment!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167804\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You just (unwittingly) proved my point.  You do it because it's "easier for the task in question".  For the many of us that aren't ambidextrous or don't have a work environment set up for switching from left to right hand mouse use, it would be easier to just have arrow buttons.  Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?
Pages: [1]   Go Up