Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Head - Which do you use?  (Read 19318 times)

Ken Tanaka

• http://www.KenTanaka.com
Tripod Head - Which do you use?
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 11:51:28 am »

Another vote for the Manfrotto 410 geared head here.  My Mamiya RZ67 has a rotating back so I am not faced with the need to rotate the entire camera.
- Ken Tanaka -
 www.KenTanaka.com

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 02:47:10 pm »

I use this one :  http://www.kirkphoto.com/lbracketso.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i use the rrs bracket on my h1 with a kirk ball head. i like the look of the kirk version of a bracket, looks more  sturdy than the rrs type.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 04:10:20 pm »

Another vote for the Manfrotto 410 geared head here.  My Mamiya RZ67 has a rotating back so I am not faced with the need to rotate the entire camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jsut to be clear to people though. This head does rotate 90 degrees quite easily.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

David WM

• http://
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 08:52:59 am »

I'd agree with that. By the look of the Kirk L bracket the synch cable plug is inaccessable, which would make it useless to me.
I use the Hasselblad H quick release plate and I'd be very reluctant to leave it. It is easy to use, positive and safe, critical when you think about the value of what it is protecting if you don't quite fit it right (which is something I did once with a Manfrotto hex plate, cost me a new prism finder for an RZ, but today that same mistake could cost a DB).

It would be great if Hasselblad could make a L bracket which fits the body as nicely as the standard plate. I'd certainly prefer to clip the camera off the mount and on again to turning it on its side when attached to a tripod/studio stand.
David

What is needed IMO is a 90 H1 QR plate ??

So the QR plate bottom is left on the tripod then one either attaches the camera or the camera via a 90 adapter

I like to be able to get my camera off the tripod fast

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 03:22:27 pm »

By the look of the Kirk L bracket the synch cable plug is inaccessable, which would make it useless to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too had trouble with shutter release until I ordered the block that attaches to the side - now no problems whatsoever.

don

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2008, 10:30:49 am »

This is an update on my post regarding this Mamiya device.

The thing came in and I was so eager to see it and test it that I opened the box inside the elevator to my apartment...

but... it is no good. Size and looks are perfect, and it moves nicely but does not lock at all on the portrait or landscape positions.

I don't know what Mamiya was thinking when they designed this. I think I will sell it back on eBay, so don't get it if you see it....

... unless you shoot with flash ...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:32:35 am by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

jonstewart

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:45 am »

This is an update on my post regarding this Mamiya device.

The thing came in and I was so eager to see it and test it that I opened the box inside the elevator to my apartment...

but... it is no good. Size and looks are perfect, and it moves nicely but does not lock at all on the portrait or landscape positions.

I don't know what Mamiya was thinking when they designed this. I think I will sell it back on eBay, so don't get it if you see it....

... unless you shoot with flash ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like the rotacam; if yours is too loose there is obviously something wrong. Mine is excellent, and does lock in both portrait and landscape. Perhaps the springs in yours are knackered?

EDIT: Mind you...just seen the attached thumbnail, and if that's what you bought, it is NOT the rotocam, and does look a bit duff!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:49:41 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2008, 05:34:14 pm »

I think that I will get a Kirk Enteroruce L-bracket. It looks like the most robust and minimalist alternative...

Sounds like the rotacam; if yours is too loose there is obviously something wrong. Mine is excellent, and does lock in both portrait and landscape. Perhaps the springs in yours are knackered?

EDIT: Mind you...just seen the attached thumbnail, and if that's what you bought, it is NOT the rotocam, and does look a bit duff!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

Snook

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 08:13:57 am »

I think that I will get a Kirk Enteroruce L-bracket. It looks like the most robust and minimalist alternative...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am about to pick up an RRS BH55 head.. has anybody got any complaints about RRS ball heads?
I will be using it with quick release plates and with a AFDII , RZII and Canon.
Thanks
Snook

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 01:11:34 pm »

I have been using the RRS BH55 for quite a while. I used a Kirk before I switched to the RRS head.  I recently changed to the quick release lever, which I like better than the standard knob clamp.  It's a terrific head.

I also use the RRS L brackets on both my Hasselblad and my Canon cameras.  Recently I was using my 1Dsmark3 and the new L bracket had not arrived yet ... I forgot how much these L brackets simplify and sturdy up the camera when shooting a vertical.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:35 am »

I am about to pick up an RRS BH55 head.. has anybody got any complaints about RRS ball heads?
I will be using it with quick release plates and with a AFDII , RZII and Canon.
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168764\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only one small nit, the finish is not the usual RRS "Military Black" anodizing which I like but a flat black finish that might be more susceptible to scratching (time will tell). Functionally it is superb.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Snook

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:01 am »

Only one small nit, the finish is not the usual RRS "Military Black" anodizing which I like but a flat black finish that might be more susceptible to scratching (time will tell). Functionally it is superb.
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169147\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Guys..
I picked up the BH55 and the Screw quick release plate because supposedly the Lever type plate does not work well with the KirK plates which are only ones that make the Mamiya 645 AFDII plates still..?
Actually they are back by popular demand..:+}
So I was told to  go with the screw type quick release plate..
Sure looks nice.. cannot wait to try it out..:+}
Snook
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up