Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Head - Which do you use?  (Read 19319 times)

Dinarius

Tripod Head - Which do you use?
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:08:28 am »

I know that this is a pretty bog standard question for such an august forum!  

But, I am someone who has been using a Mamiya RB67 and a Sinar P2 for nearly twenty years and never had to flip the cameras on their side. (Only my 35mm/DSLRs had to be flipped.)

I am about to buy a Hasselblad and, since they don't have a revolving back, and I will be using it in portrait mode (a lot!), I need advice on tripod heads.

What tripod head do you use? If it's one of the Manfrotto's, for example, I'd appreciate the manufacturer's code or a link to it on their site.

While I realize that this is a fairly basic question, it does have real practical implications. I hope you agree.

Thanks.

D.

ps. Any of you not bother shooting in portrait mode because of all those pixels you have to play with?  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:55:52 pm by Dinarius »

ixpressraf

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 05:15:28 am »

I know that this is a pretty bog standard question for such an august forum!   

But, I am someone who has been using a Mamiya RB67 and a Sinar P2 for nearly twenty years and never had to flip the cameras on their side. (Only my 35mm/DSLRs had to be flipped.)

I am about to buy a Hasselblad and, since they don't have a revolving back, I will be using it in portrait mode (a lot!).

What tripod head do you use? If it's one of the Manfrotto's, for example, I'd appreciate the manufacturer's code or a link to it on their site.

While I realize that this is a fairly basic question, it does have real practical implications. I hope you agree.

Thanks.

D.

ps. Any of you not bother shooting in portrait mode because of all those pixels you have to play with? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just get the really right stuff L shaped tripot adapter plate for the H123. Dustback brought it to my attention and it is the best thing to get for mounting a hassie H123 on a tripod.

jonstewart

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 05:59:22 am »

Just get the really right stuff L shaped tripot adapter plate for the H123. Dustback brought it to my attention and it is the best thing to get for mounting a hassie H123 on a tripod.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use a manfrotto 410 geared head, but with the Mamiya Rotocam (I shoot AFD2), so I would concur with  iexpressraf. That won't be as quick, but any L adaptor is better
 than having a MF camera hanging at 90 degrees of a tripod head, especially if  it has a quick release plate...and I don't care what the manufacturers say the weight limitis are !
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29:07 am »

A Manfrotto 410 here as well for my Rollei 6008. Love it.
I don't have a signature.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:37:58 am »

I use a Burszynski head with RRS PCL1 pano clamp and RRS L-Bracket.

The RRS L-bracket is perfect. It is light, it fits the H perfectly. So much I leave the bracket on all the time even when shooting hand held. Only when using sync cables there is a small catch. In portrait mode you have to detach the bracket first. I now use Elinchrom El Skyport which is perfect especially with my RX flashes, so no more sync cables for me.

Portrait mode with the L-bracket is no longer a nightmare but easy and painless. I use 39MP and prefer using them all instead of cropping away a large portion to make portrait from landscape.

The Burszynski head together with the pano head give me an extremely low profile and solid head. The PCL1 has a bubble and can rotate with degree markings. Whenever I need to go wider than my 35 can handle (I use the H2) I grab the nodal slide and stitch 2 or 3 portrait images into 1 landscape.

Some brilliant mind at Hasselblad was so kind to put the nodal distances in all lens specifications

The only thing I hate is my Gitzo 1348 tripod. As soon as I can think about the Sachtler without throwing up over its price I probably get one of those.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:39:45 am by Dustbak »

amsp

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:57:15 am »

Manfrotto 229 3D SUPER-PRO

BJNY

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:00:14 am »

Found a link, correct?

http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html

I use a Burszynski head with RRS PCL1 pano clamp and RRS L-Bracket.

The RRS L-bracket is perfect. It is light, it fits the H perfectly. So much I leave the bracket on all the time even when shooting hand held. Only when using sync cables there is a small catch. In portrait mode you have to detach the bracket first. I now use Elinchrom El Skyport which is perfect especially with my RX flashes, so no more sync cables for me.

Portrait mode with the L-bracket is no longer a nightmare but easy and painless. I use 39MP and prefer using them all instead of cropping away a large portion to make portrait from landscape.

The Burszynski head together with the pano head give me an extremely low profile and solid head. The PCL1 has a bubble and can rotate with degree markings. Whenever I need to go wider than my 35 can handle (I use the H2) I grab the nodal slide and stitch 2 or 3 portrait images into 1 landscape.

Some brilliant mind at Hasselblad was so kind to put the nodal distances in all lens specifications

The only thing I hate is my Gitzo 1348 tripod. As soon as I can think about the Sachtler without throwing up over its price I probably get one of those.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165391\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:48:35 am »

That is the head allright. The clamp shown on that image doesn't come with the head. I use the round RRS PLC1 for a clamp. It is round, has an integrated bubble, turns and is of excellent build quality.

I have tried all sorts of heads, clamps, panoheads. This I am really happy with (not including the tripod).

The head does fall into the tripod very nicely when you have no center column but a flat plate. What I don't like about the Gitzo are the tightenings for the legs. I have the older model that you need to turn apparently the newer ones have tightenings that lock with halve a twist I have been told.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:00:59 am by Dustbak »

Russell Price

• http://
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:01:01 am »

The Really Right Stuff 55 ball head is fantastic. The whole series are quite well made.  A friend of mine only shoots with a monopod and he uses the 25 and loves it.

They make incredible products.  I don't think you can go wrong with an RRS head.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 11:27:56 am »

H3D22 mounted on a RRS L bracket mounted on Manfrotto 410 geared - best in my opinion. I've used this setup for a few years now, my fave

PdF

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »

I'm generally using the Manfrotto 229 Super Pro Head for the MF, and the 400 geared head for the Sinar P2 (with Sinarcam2 and 43 HR digital back).

Everythink works fine since many years, and in many heavy circumstances (especially for the MF...)

PdF
PdF

rgold1963

• http://www.rongoldmanphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

I use both the 410 geared head and a Markins ball head. It really depends on where and what I am shooting. I have an "L" plate on my 645AFDII and the only complaint I have about it is that the shutter release cable is a little tight and is slightly in the way when mounted vertically.
I think Kirk Photo makes the Arca style plate that fits into the 410 head so you can use an L plate on it. I use my 410 a lot more now that I have that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:59:43 pm by rgold1963 »

Dinarius

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 01:15:25 pm »

Two points.........

1. Is this the RRS plate you're talking about?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?...tatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

2. I've used the Manfrotto Triaut tripod for years now. Fabulous piece of kit. The quick release legs are indispensible once you get used to them - even with the Sinar.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfro...id=68|69&idx=70

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the 229 3D Super Pro head.

D.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:25:55 pm by Dinarius »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 01:35:58 pm »

That is the RRS Plate we are talking about. Remember you also need a clamp with that.

I use this one:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Customkiti...DElem%2DPkg&eq=
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:38:37 pm by Dustbak »

LA30

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 03:52:27 pm »

Markins M20 head is amazing.  I really like the RRS L brackets, on my 5D and H2.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:57:51 pm by kenscott30 »

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 04:05:26 pm »

I have a H2 with L bracket from RRS, and frankly i'm not entirely happy with it .
There is some flex movement on the bracket that I do not like ..
It is mounted correctly , I'm not sure if my bracket was slighlty out of specifications ...
I know most people love RRS gear , but still ,my Wimberley regular plate on Mark 3
has way better fit .

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »

Manfrotto 405 Gear Head - it's the big brother to the 410.  Had the 410 before that, but prefer the 405 for the finer control.

RicAgu

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »

RRS stuff all around.

B55

B40 and L plates on Canon and Hasselblad.

Flat plates on RZ

If you use all RRS plates then the flip lever is amazing.  if you use various then the "Pro" which screws in to tighten.

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 06:46:54 pm »

Manfrotto 405 and a Novoflex panorama plate with click stops.
[attachment=4558:attachment]

Bernd B.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 07:58:12 am »

From 1989 until October 2007: Gitzo PL5 from 35mm to 8x10 inches.

Now mostly my new manfrotto 405 with my 5D, H3D and Hassy V.

Bernd
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up