Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MLU, self-timer, Canon and Nikon  (Read 2313 times)

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
MLU, self-timer, Canon and Nikon
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:26:01 pm »

Regarding MLU, what I find most annoying in the Canon 1 series is not that there is no dedicated button for the function, but rather that self-timer doesn't automatically combine with mirror prefire, requiring you to activate/desactivate both, and in the process incur the inconvenience of a lack of easy MLU access.  

True, for uses for which precise timing is important, MLU cannot be replaced by mirror-prefire.
However, for all other uses, mirror  prefire is vastly more practical, because it does not require the use of a cable release - DLSRs all use electronic releases that are quite bulky.

Typically, if you do a mix of tripod and hand-held work (as in travel photography) its very convenient to be able to just switch to self-timer mode with mirror prefire when the camera is on the tripod, and out of it when the camera is hand-held. If you used MLU, you'd have to constantly attach and remove the cable release when switching from tripod to hand-held.

Back in the 90s, when I was a Nikon user, one of main gripes against Nikon bodies was that they did not support mirror prefire. Bodies other than F series did not have MLU. My first Canon body, the EOS A2/5  had mirror prefire whenever the self-timer was activated (I think it was a custom function). This was a major improvement.

So why did Canon remove this feature from the 1 series ? It's not that a new button is necessary, probably no more than a few lines of code. Moreover, I see absolutely zero drawback on always associating self-timer and mirror pre-fire, so why not make it the default option ? Don't you think that any lobbying efforts towards Canon should be directed there first, because it is probably such an easy change to implement ?

As to Nikon, they clearly have learned a lot from Canon in a decade (IS, USM, aperture setting by dial, Af start button,...), but still no mirror pre-fire option at all ?

As a side note, despite the new "My Menu" in the mark 3 bodies, I find that MLU actually requires just as many button clicks than on the mark 2 bodies, so no progress there. The mark 2 bodies memorize where you were in the menu, so if all you used in the menu was MLU, you could access it as fast. On the mark 3, live view provides a one-click access to MLU, but because of increase battery use and possible sensor heating, I am reluctant to use it. Besides, it is still not as convenient as mirror-prefire automatically associated to the self-timer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:37:22 pm by luong »
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:14:08 am »

On the 40D I have put MLU on two of the custom functions (one with live view and exposure bracketing, which eliminates the mirror slap between the shots).

Can't you do the same with a 1D?
Gabor

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:22:38 pm »

Nikon cameras have for quite some time had a mirror pre-fire mode, although it's not linked to the self-timer function. It's called exposure delay, and on past cameras the delay between raising the mirror and taking the exposure was only about 40ms; not really enough time although I suppose it could help somewhat. On the D3 and D300, the delay is noticeably longer, about a full second. That may still be insufficient for longer focal lengths, but for normal and wide lenses it's probably sufficient as long as you have a decent tripod.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »

I have never found the self-timer option makes much sense other than in a closed set situation, where you know nothing will disturb the scene nor the space between it and the camera.

I´ve tried to use it for outdoor shots, and it seems to be part of the Sod´s Law thing that a gentle breeze will spring up out of nowhere almost immediately you press the button. As someone wrote, you want the mirror up and well asleep before you trip the shutter itself! It´s nice to be able to wait until the world stops and THEN take your shot. At once.

I had a Nikon F4s for a while - until it drove me to the edge with loading glitches, but the electronic cable release for it was perfectly functional. As I no longer do much of that ´considered´ photography anymore, I have no more releases; however, should the day arise when they mean something to me again, an electronic one would be the way to go. Very smooth.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up