Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Me, my hasselblad H3DII31Mp, myself and I  (Read 4374 times)

ixpressraf

Me, my hasselblad H3DII31Mp, myself and I
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:23:28 pm »

At the end of last year i decided to go for the H3dII 31 series camera. I have been using leaf, phase and hasselblad digital back's for over nine years now and the last years i felt very happy with my 39CF back. However: i do a lot of shooting in heavy industry, often under bad light conditions, and the H3dII31Mp seemed the answer to my prayers.......
It is a god's sent. Before, i had to use my wonderful Canon 5D when high speed iso was demanded but now i can perfectly use my Hassie.
There is a lot of discussion about the MFB against the new DSLR cameras and i can assure you that when shooting under a mixture of sodium, tungsten, TL, mercury vapor etc. wich are   often used as  industrial light sources, you will get nowwhere with a DSLR.
They simply do not have the file quality to correct those difficult lighthing differences in a for the human eye pleasing way. The hasselblad CF39/CFH22 i previously used simply did do the job perfectly.
But now back again to my new "working tool of perfection".
The nice thing about the H3d 31mp is the abillity to shoot 800 iso standard out of the box and this at a quality level that easally surpasses my 5d. But it gets even better: when under exposing up to 2 stops ( that is 3200 iso for who is interested :-) ) and set the exposure correction slider in Flexcolor to +2 stops you will get perfect usuable images of almost the same and often surpassing my 5D's IQ . And as mentioned before: also under the most demanding light mixtures.
As for the ugly IR-filter related blooming i have not been able to achieve a picture or setup where this phenomena became visible, so i suppose it has been fixed with the new IR filter.
The capability to upsize the files, lets say up to 200 percent  is in one word perfect, and the nicest rendering i ever had with any of my backs. Almost no artifacts and very clean detailed images of more than 300 Mb where the result.
The only thing i have to do now is order the 28mm because i really loved the 35 on my H2d.
The 100mm 2.2 becomes with the slightly smaller sensor my favored all purpose people and things lens. The buttersweet bokeh, combined with the extreme shallow DOF makes it a dream to use. And combined with the 1.7 converter a powerfull telephoto lens comes available without the need to carry an extra (heavy) lens. Writing speed to the CF cards also seemes faster than on my CFH, but this might also be a feeling and not actual be the case. Mirror slapping also improved and small details made a very good product even better. For my Mamiya RZ and fuji GX680 i am now waiting for a CF22 to arrive because i still love to use those camera's in studio for still-live and more. However, i still love to work with the ixpress 96C because of its nice big pixels and square format i think the H3DII31 will rapidly become my most used camera and making the 5d staying in the camera bag more than i ever hoped for.
For those who are interested, i am not a pixel peeper i use my camera's as they are supposed to be used: like the hammer of a carpenter or the trumpet of a musician and not to examen wheter the investment is really better than my DSLR( wich ofcourse can easely be seen)        
Goodnight and good luck :-)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:32:38 pm by ixpressraf »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:25:45 pm »

As for the ugly IR-filter related blooming i have not been able to achieve a picture or setup where this phenomena became visible, so i suppose it has been fixed with the new IR filter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What does this look like in a file?  I've been seeing some magenta colored blooming on the P25 and can't figure out if it is caused by the back or the lens.  It seems like it could be sensor bloom, but I'm not really sure.  The Phase specs state the new Plus backs have 10 stops of anti-blooming vs 8 stops with the non-Plus backs.  I've been trying to figure out what exactly "anti-blooming" means in Phase lingo and when the improvement would be apparent.

EgillBjarki

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

Congrads on the H3D 31 II, very good specs and a desirable combo. I went for the H2 with P30+ and thus envy your secure feeling in Hasselblads upgrade ladder for the future. But do not regred my choice, happy shooting mate.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:47:30 pm by EgillBjarki »

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:12:36 pm »

What does this look like in a file?  I've been seeing some magenta colored blooming on the P25 and can't figure out if it is caused by the back or the lens.  It seems like it could be sensor bloom, but I'm not really sure.  The Phase specs state the new Plus backs have 10 stops of anti-blooming vs 8 stops with the non-Plus backs.  I've been trying to figure out what exactly "anti-blooming" means in Phase lingo and when the improvement would be apparent.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John - from a poster on PDN's form early last year with his H3D

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:28:33 am »

Greg - I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for, so the multi-color highlights in the upper left is my guess.  Haven't seen that on the P25.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 03:39:55 am »

Hmmmm.....

Couldn't you have posted this after I upgraded my 384 to a CF22MS or CF39MS, now I have another option to consider

Well, I still have at least 6 months before I will take that step so I have lots of time to figure out what to do.

CF22MS, H3DII39MS, CF39MS or H3DII31. A pity that every choice has its own pro's and con's, none of these have everything I want.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:44:36 am by Dustbak »

ixpressraf

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:49:25 am »

Hmmmm.....

Couldn't you have posted this after I upgraded my 384 to a CF22MS or CF39MS, now I have another option to consider

Well, I still have at least 6 months before I will take that step so I have lots of time to figure out what to do.

CF22MS, H3DII39MS, CF39MS or H3DII31. A pity that every choice has its own pro's and con's, none of these have everything I want.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It all depends what you want to shoot. i will also keep my multishot back for studio and fine art reproductions but i needed the high iso ratings and the ~H3d  simply fits my needs best. maybe in the near furure we get to shoot together on a job    and we can talk about this in real life.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:00:43 am »

That is in the preparation phase and is making progress, looking forward to that

My main problem with upgrading 1 back to H3DII is that I cannot use my other back on that body or the H3 back on my H2. Which actually means I would also have to upgrade my CF39 making it a really costly operation (upgrading 2 backs where one is already 39Mpix and of a current line). I would have to get a 3rd back to be able to use  my beloved Digiflex II.

The other option of upgrading to Cf39MS would give me the room to buy another H2 and have interchangeable backup for almost everything but.. I miss out on the better IR filter , the 28 and possibly the TS lens adapter everybody is speculating about.

Choices, choices, choices...    

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:12 am »

@ GregShapps

AFAIK - that issue has been addressed by Hass in the H3DII series w, a new IR filter. I've been testing my H3D22 for that issue and cant come up with it

I think what John is seeing is something else, and it's a P1...

magenta blooming doesn't sound to me like the refracting image posted...
Pages: [1]   Go Up