Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Vests  (Read 5628 times)

Philip Weber

Photo Vests
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:28:08 pm »

I am looking at photo vests and want to know if anyone has used or has info on the "Vested Interest" vests. They look great but also expensive. Money isn't the biggest concern but rather quality, so if anyone can shed some light on this company and their product, I would very much appreciate it as I haven't found much at all on the forums about them.

Thanks!
Phil

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Photo Vests
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:24:46 pm »

I am looking at photo vests and want to know if anyone has used or has info on the "Vested Interest" vests. They look great but also expensive. Money isn't the biggest concern but rather quality, so if anyone can shed some light on this company and their product, I would very much appreciate it as I haven't found much at all on the forums about them.

Thanks!
Phil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure on those.. but I can tell you I have a Domke that is about 10 years old and still going strong. Very happy with it.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
Photo Vests
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »

Phil,

I too have a Domke and have had it for years. I don't find myself wearing it much anymore. I find myself wearing a belt system or carrying a shoulder bag. The trouble I had with the vest was that on many days the vest was fine in the early morning when I started out, but as the day got hotter I wanted to take it off....but I couldn't because it had all of my crap in it.

stamper

Photo Vests
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:38:42 am »

Phil,

I too have a Domke and have had it for years. I don't find myself wearing it much anymore. I find myself wearing a belt system or carrying a shoulder bag. The trouble I had with the vest was that on many days the vest was fine in the early morning when I started out, but as the day got hotter I wanted to take it off....but I couldn't because it had all of my crap in it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Go into a fishing store Most fishing vests have small pockets but there are some with large pockets that would do the job and are cheaper

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Photo Vests
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:31:43 am »

Phil, I too have no experience with the Vested Interest vest, but wanted to suggest that I think getting the "right" vest is a very personal thing.  Ideally you'd be able to walk into a store, try on the vest, load the pockets with stuff and see how you feel about it before buying one.

I wasn't able to do that, and ended up first buying a Kazah vest and when I found it just didn't feel right to me, I ordered a Tenba.  That too never allowed me to get comfortable.  Finally I ordered a Domke vest and that's the one I've been using now for a couple of years.  I'm really happy with it, and when I wear it now it feels like I'm with an old friend.

The other vests sit in a cupboard.

Good luck in your quest...

Eldor

Philip Weber

Photo Vests
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:34 am »

Thanks everyone! I agree that trying it on first is the best idea and that's what I did with my camera backpack. I have a Lowepro that I can wear but it also has wheels and can be pulled like regular luggage. It's not too heavy and works well.

However, I was watching one of the older LL videos with Michael and Steve in slot canyon and they were mentioning the need for a vest there due to the tight quarters of the location. I may do a shoot in the area later this year and want maximum flexability so I was thinking of a vest when I need it and using the backpack the rest of the time.

I'll continue to look at options and appreciate everyone's feedback so far. I was really impressed with the design of the Vested Interest vests as the Khumbu model has large lens pockets, a spot for my new Gitzo 3540 LS & they're custom made for your size. But...they are expensive and I don't know how much I'll use it so maybe a less expensive vest is the way to go!?

Phil

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
Photo Vests
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:58 am »

I have had their top of the line (kumbu, or some such name). Top notch construction. I believe the very best in vests. However, if you are looking to carrying gear on longer hikes or over rough terrain while retaining access there are some problems with vests in general and in my opinion the only solution is a belt system.

While the Kumbu has lots of pockets, it is not comfortable when heavily loaded (I doubt that any vest is for that matter). On this one, the back pockets are not very accessible (which somewhat defeats the purpose of a vest). To get to lenses in the back side, I tied strings to them. This still required some contortion to reinsert them after use. Had the pocket been angled, they would be much more useful. The central huge pocket can hold a 500mm, tripod, or water. However, I found that with a 500, not surprisingly, I had to remove the vest to take it out. Furthermore, long walks with a large lens so stored was out of the question. If I were to get their vest I would stick to one of their smaller versions.

I have found a much better solution in the Kinesis system. I regularly use the belt, harness and camera holster. Large lenses such as the 500 can be carried with their large lens bag, or, as I have done in a lens pouch within their pack (however, either way getting to the 500 does require removal of the system, a terrible bother).  The belt system and a front mounted holster can give you immediate access to a lots of gear while enabling long hard hikes with remarkably comfort. I have given up on shooting with a 500, and instead am organizing to use their hydration pack and a rigging system for holding a medium sized tripod on the back ontop of the hydration pack that will allow me access to the tripod without removal of the harness.

In short, carrying gear in a manner that makes it accessible and yet not hinder long hikes is beyond the capability of vests IMHO. Since photo packs are a) inaccessible and b)designed with 1960 backpack mentality, they do not solve the problem. Solutions such as a sling bag (I have the lowepro 300) are ok for light loads and mostly urban environments. Don't have any experience with the rotation 360 but does not look very workable to me. Seems like belts and harness is it. The only down side is that you wont make it to the cover of GQ in that outfit!

yoni

Photo Vests
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:38:05 am »

One other addition....

If you are looking for a means to simply carry equipment a short distance and yet keeping it all handy, the best solution I know is a no longer made Krist bag that can be occasionally found used. IMO beats vests, belt and harness, and anything else I have tried. Further advantage is that with it  GQ cover is a real possibility.

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Photo Vests
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »

What does "GQ cover" mean?

I have the Bob Krist bag (got it from LL Bean's years ago) and I love it.  It's the only bag I've found so far that allows me to store a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens WITH the hood in shooting postion.  It's comfortable to wear as a shoulder bag and for heavier loads where you want to travel further between getting into the bag, it can be used as a conventional backpack.  It's really one of my favorite bags.

It's a shame it's not available anymore.

Cheers!

One other addition....

If you are looking for a means to simply carry equipment a short distance and yet keeping it all handy, the best solution I know is a no longer made Krist bag that can be occasionally found used. IMO beats vests, belt and harness, and anything else I have tried. Further advantage is that with it  GQ cover is a real possibility.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yoni

Photo Vests
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:10 pm »

What does "GQ cover" mean?

I have the Bob Krist bag (got it from LL Bean's years ago) and I love it.  It's the only bag I've found so far that allows me to store a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens WITH the hood in shooting postion.  It's comfortable to wear as a shoulder bag and for heavier loads where you want to travel further between getting into the bag, it can be used as a conventional backpack.  It's really one of my favorite bags.

It's a shame it's not available anymore.

Cheers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

GQ is a men's fashion magazine. Trust me, I for one won't be included even in the back pages whatever bag I have!

I agree its a great bag. I don't find it comfortable as a backpack if loaded, but for short jaunts it can be carried that way. I am always amazed by the amount of stuff it will swallow.

wtlloyd

Photo Vests
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:37:04 am »

Here's a BirdsasArt newsletter, a bit dated, that discusses the vest. Artie still uses one.

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn61.htm

Thanks!
Phil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Philip Weber

Photo Vests
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 05:55:36 pm »

Here's a BirdsasArt newsletter, a bit dated, that discusses the vest. Artie still uses one.

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn61.htm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great find, thanks! Their vests look to be very good and I noticed they have a "drop cloth" of sorts to lay the vest down on, which it would appear one would do a lot to access the back pockets. Is this better than a backpack? I'm really not sure but it looks to me like, just as there isn't one best bag/backpack for every situation, this provides another alternative when it's appropriate. Again, it's not inexpensive but it looks like it will last.

Thanks much to everyone for their insights so far!
Phil

Hank

Photo Vests
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 06:30:10 pm »

One of my frequent shooting partners has it.  His works great, and his only complaint is the ease of stuffing it way too full.  I've used Domke for years (two actually- an XL for summer and an XXL for winter wear over bulky coats), but much as I love them I'm tempted to pick up the Vested Interest.  My pard and I are really active in our field work, and even with heavy loads his remains comfortable while providing security and easy access to his gear.  How can you beat that?

adamdbates

• http://www.shutterspeedtravel.com/
Photo Vests
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:45:54 am »

I have a Domke and find it pretty good.  It it not too bulky and therefore looks fine.  For me the key point is for trips to Africa.  In Kenya on the light planes into the Masai Mara your check-in and hand luggage is weighed.  If you are over 20kg, you pay for every kilo.  Hence I fill all the pockets with bodies, batteries, short lenses and other stuff.  I reckon I can put 10kg into a Domke.

yoni

Photo Vests
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 08:07:56 pm »

Saw a used one avail on fm http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/605168.

Disclosure: I am not associated with seller and don't know him/her.

yoni
Pages: [1]   Go Up