Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 7 II Production Status  (Read 5745 times)

Mort54

• http://
Mamiya 7 II Production Status
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:08:44 pm »

A question for the group - is the Mamiya 7 II still in productioni? It's still listed on their site, but for some reason I thought it had gone out of production. Are they just selling leftover inventory, or are they still producing it?

Thanks.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:49:17 pm »

A question for the group - is the Mamiya 7 II still in productioni? It's still listed on their site, but for some reason I thought it had gone out of production. Are they just selling leftover inventory, or are they still producing it?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Honest, no idea. But I bought mine new in Hong Kong early last year. It is a lovely camera, destined to see a very looooong ownership by me.

Why would they stop making them? Prices on Ebay are high, in fact to same levels as I paid new in Hong Kong... add to that the smallest & lightest 6x7 with super optics.  

Regards
Anders

Mort54

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:41:32 pm »

Honest, no idea. But I bought mine new in Hong Kong early last year. It is a lovely camera, destined to see a very looooong ownership by me.

Why would they stop making them? Prices on Ebay are high, in fact to same levels as I paid new in Hong Kong... add to that the smallest & lightest 6x7 with super optics.   

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Anders. I asked for purely selfish reasons. Someone on another discussion board was arguing that instead of getting a 1DsIII, or waiting for a D3X, or whatever, for landscape shots, photographers should instead get themselves a 7 II, since the 7 II was the perfect landscape camera. I foolishly replied that their suggestion was moot, since the 7 II was discontinued, and besides, didn't they know that film was dead :-) Well, as you can imagine, a heated discussion followed, and quite a few people rightly got on my case by stating that the 7 II was still in production, and pointed out that it was still listed as a product on Mamiya's website, and for sale on B&H. I was sure I had read somewhere that it had been discontinued, but they assured me I was wrong. So in an attempt to salvage some of my dignity, I thought I'd ask here :-)

Anyway, I've always thought the 7 was a very appealing camera - small and light and relatively large format. I just can't see shooting with film anymore, even tho I still prefer the look of film in many ways.

Regards,
Mort.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:16:28 am »

Thanks Anders. I asked for purely selfish reasons. Someone on another discussion board was arguing that instead of getting a 1DsIII, or waiting for a D3X, or whatever, for landscape shots, photographers should instead get themselves a 7 II, since the 7 II was the perfect landscape camera. I foolishly replied that their suggestion was moot, since the 7 II was discontinued, and besides, didn't they know that film was dead :-) Well, as you can imagine, a heated discussion followed, and quite a few people rightly got on my case by stating that the 7 II was still in production, and pointed out that it was still listed as a product on Mamiya's website, and for sale on B&H. I was sure I had read somewhere that it had been discontinued, but they assured me I was wrong. So in an attempt to salvage some of my dignity, I thought I'd ask here :-)

Anyway, I've always thought the 7 was a very appealing camera - small and light and relatively large format. I just can't see shooting with film anymore, even tho I still prefer the look of film in many ways.

Regards,
Mort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mort

Film is not dead.    Many people still use it.    For amateurs as myself it is cheaper in many ways too. Sure, I doubt I will shoot 35mm film again, yet for medium format it is cheaper than digital, unless one have very large volume. But drum scanning is not cheap. To me they are two different medias, but indeed the industry is making film more and more expensive and selling everyone mega pixels. How about archival; life of harddrives, backups, vs. film lasting 300 years as new Fuji slides? How about todays family albums for coming generations?

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:17:16 am by Anders_HK »

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:20:00 am »

The M7 is such a cool camera and the lenses are soooo sharp with practically zero distortion. It's worth it to just pick up body with a 43mm. It's a camera that just feels right to use and forces you to consider your subject, not as much as a view camera, but enough to make a difference. It's not for everything and it doesn't focus as close as I would like, but that's why they make RZs.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:01 pm »

Yes, reputedly great lenses, but then the viewfinder defeats the whole game. The system includes a good view of the lens in the finder, so whither great framing of that wonderful picture if you have to guess? In other words, great optics as with Leica M but similar framing issues and focussing ones too if you are working to anything but zone focussing...

I seriously coveted one for a while until I tried it in the shop: no way would it suit my personal working methods or needs. I was really sad to find that out first-hand. Perhaps it boils down to having too much reflex camera experience to accommodate anything different, though that damn M6 or 7 still comes into my mind now and again, despite all reasoning!

I know some pros who have owned it at the same time as a ´blad and they tend to let the Mamiya option go...

Rob C

Ed Jack

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 10:16:46 am »

I foolishly replied that their suggestion was moot, since the 7 II was discontinued, and besides, didn't they know that film was dead :-) Well, as you can imagine, a heated discussion followed, and quite a few people rightly got on my case by stating that the 7 II was still in production, and pointed out that it was still listed as a product on Mamiya's website, and for sale on B&H.

Regards,
Mort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahhh Mort have you been "making friends" in your totally non-provocative way on other forums too ?

Mort54

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 12:23:16 pm »

Ahhh Mort have you been "making friends" in your totally non-provocative way on other forums too ?
Possibly. I have a low tolerance for fools and blowhards, and that can cause problems. Of course, occasionally (hardly ever :-) I am the fool, and I stick my foot in my mouth. But don't we all? Thankfully, this site hasn't degenerated into the free-for-alls that many others have.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:02:11 pm by Mort54 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up