Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what ball head ?  (Read 7190 times)

tieno

what ball head ?
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:43:48 am »

Hello every one, I am looking for a new ball head to fir my gitzo 2540 LVL tripod. My equipment is light (cannon d350 17-85mm). I will be mostly using the tripod + ball head for making panorama. Thanks you for your help! Etienne

Acratech             Arca Swiss Z1          Markins Q-Ball
                          Ultimate             SP Flip lock               Q3 Emile
Weight(g)            450                    680                          385

Max hold(kg)       11                      55                            30

Height(mm)         104                    100                          91

Ball diameter
(mm)                  38                      54                            38

Housing dia
(mm)                  60                      69                            48

Price
Europe (€)          300                     313                          285

PS; I have joined a pdf version of this table in attachment.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:47:02 am by tieno »

TMcCulley

• http://
what ball head ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:03:11 am »

Hello every one, I am looking for a new ball head to fir my gitzo 2540 LVL tripod. My equipment is light (cannon d350 17-85mm). I will be mostly using the tripod + ball head for making panorama. Thanks you for your help! Etienne

PS; I have joined a pdf version of this table in attachment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Go to www.reallyrightstuff.com and look at the BH-40 weighs 13 ounces and rated to 18lbs load.

I have used their equiment for 12 years and it has always been excellant.

Tom

PS I use the BH-55 with a lever release clamp on a 3530 LSV and several of their pano tools. Silky smooth and nothing else comes close
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:06:39 am by TMcCulley »

francois

what ball head ?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:24:11 am »

I like Arca Swiss smoothness but never compared it directly to Markins or the new Acratech. I don't  know where you're based but one point worth considering is the service options. I believe that Arca Swiss is in France (Besançon?).
Francois

GregW

• http://
what ball head ?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:08:42 pm »

There was quite a bit of discussion about this topic here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....opic=13369&st=0

I made some comments in the linked thread about the Markins Q3.  I'm still using it in a light weight setup and am very pleased with it.  When I wrote my original comments my time with the Q3 was limited.  Now I'm very much convinced.  It's super solid and hasn't needed any adjustment or cleaning since day one.  Despite being lugged and thrown around a lot it's still supper smooth.

I still use the B1 on a CF Series 3 Gitzo with my heavier setup which now includes a D3.  If and when the B1 dies I'd be quite happy to replace it with one of the heavier Markins on the basis of the B1 needing a bit more tender loving care (TLC).

My only reservation in recommending the Q3 would be the availability of some really good panoramic options including nodal point management from RRS.  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pano/  If this is your main interest you may be better of building a system around one of their own products.  Otherwise the Q3 is perfectly serviceable.

The only other thing I'd say is to treat the load recommendations from the manufacturers of balls heads and tripods with a pinch of salt.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:11:20 pm by GregW »

aaykay

what ball head ?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:26:58 am »

I had the Q3 Emille briefly for a day or so (did not use it in the field) but returned it and replaced it with the Arca Swiss Z1.  I think the closest competitor to the Z1 would be the Markins version above the Q3 (M10), even though the Z1 has more load capacity (130lbs for the Z1 vs 88 lbs for the Markins M10).  The Z1 probably has more load capacity than even the M20, I believe.

I think the Q3 is light and small and very well built, based on my brief impressions but the pricing was too close to the Z1, which is what led me to go with the Z1.

aaykay

what ball head ?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:29:25 am »

Sorry, just re-read your post that yours is a Series-2 Gitzo, in which case I might go with the Emille, since it is probably a better fit with the narrower top-plate on the Series-2.  

The Z1 might have a bottom diameter that is slightly bigger than the top-plate diameter of the Series-2.

tieno

what ball head ?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 04:19:44 pm »

Thanks a lot for your help !

aaykay you have a point. The base plate for my gtizo 2540 is 60 mm so the Z1 is too big.
I have also found the CULLMANN Magnesit 30 Nm with these data:
Hold 20 kg
Housing diameter 60mm
Weight 642g
Height 105 mm

and a price of 87,50 €!

Has anyone got any info on the CULLMANN ball heads?

.... by the way happy new year!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:45:19 pm by tieno »
Pages: [1]   Go Up