Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Sling Bag?  (Read 9342 times)

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Which Sling Bag?
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:04:49 am »

I'm looking for a sling bag and my online research has helped me narrow it down to two:  The Lowepro Slingshot 300AW and the Tamrac 5769 Velocity 9X.

I haven't seen (or shouldered) either of these and wonder if anyone here has an opinion about either bag they could share with me.

I've got a bunch of different bags already - mostly various Domke bags, but none of them give me what I really am looking for now:

I want a bag I can use for working out of when I'm travelling really light.  The plan is to bring only one camera body (which would mostly be around my neck or on a shoulder) and only 3 lenses.  So two lenses would be in the bag and the third would be on the camera on my shoulder or neck.  Sound simple?  Well, it's not!

One of the lenses is my 70-200 f2.8L IS.  That lens is just fine when it's on a body, but it just doesn't fit well in the bags I've tried.  To further complicate this, I want to leave the lens hood fixed on the lens in working position.  (Long story, but the hood is held onto the lens with duct tape because the grooves that hold the hood are so worn it just doesn't stay on otherwise.)

I don't want a backpack (already have one and it's too slow to get at stuff) and would prefer either a shoulder or sling-type bag.  Is one of these a good choice?  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any comments.

Eldor

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:44:31 am »

I have the slingshot 200AW and have put a 1DS MKII in it together with several lenses and a number of accessories. I find the three point harness is only just stable enough for prolonged wear with this weight. If I had the 300AW, I would be tempted to put more in it and I really think it would be marginal.
I too have the 70-200F2.8 IS, but I do not carry it in this bag. I will be selling it anyway as I do not think it is actually that great a lens. It has quite marked vignetting at working apertures, which makes it tricky to use for stitching and with an IR converted body it produces quite a pronounced central bloom when shooting into the light(or IR if you prefer). My suggestion would be to ditch it and get the cheaper, lighter, smaller and allegedly sharper 70-200f4 IS USM, which also apparently has superior IS.
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

walter.sk

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:02:31 am »

I use the Lowepro Slingshot SS300, and it has been my main bag for over a year, or since it came out.  It will not fit the 70-200 IS with the lens hood in the operating position.  I use the bag with a !dMkII, and keep the 16-35, 28-135, 100-400 and my 15mm fisheye in the bag, below a flap under the 16-35.  I keep the camera around my neck, and keep the center compartment empty so that if I want to put the camera away so that pizza residue doesn't get on the lens, it goes in the center pocket.  I reverse the lens hoods.  

I know what you're talking about because the hood on my 100-400 is also worn.  I have nightmares of it folling off while the lens is stuck through the grating on the Empire State Bldg, but so far so good.  I don't think you will find a sling bag or shoulder bag that will hold the mounted 70-200 with the hood in shooting position.  Probably a backpack or one of the big rolling packs could be configured for that, but thqt would limit accessibility and ease of carrying the gear.

I would replace the lens hood if it had to be taped on.  The $40 or so, while high if you consider that the threads really shouldn't wear out, would be worth it to me to be able to use the SS300.  The bag is very, very lightweight, and when it is adjusted right, partly resting slightly below waist level in the back, with the supportive waist belt adjusted right I can walk around all day with no strain.  Moving the bag to the front to change lenses is fast and easy.

I'm looking for a sling bag and my online research has helped me narrow it down to two:  The Lowepro Slingshot 300AW and the Tamrac 5769 Velocity 9X.

I haven't seen (or shouldered) either of these and wonder if anyone here has an opinion about either bag they could share with me.

I've got a bunch of different bags already - mostly various Domke bags, but none of them give me what I really am looking for now:

I want a bag I can use for working out of when I'm travelling really light.  The plan is to bring only one camera body (which would mostly be around my neck or on a shoulder) and only 3 lenses.  So two lenses would be in the bag and the third would be on the camera on my shoulder or neck.  Sound simple?  Well, it's not!

One of the lenses is my 70-200 f2.8L IS.  That lens is just fine when it's on a body, but it just doesn't fit well in the bags I've tried.  To further complicate this, I want to leave the lens hood fixed on the lens in working position.  (Long story, but the hood is held onto the lens with duct tape because the grooves that hold the hood are so worn it just doesn't stay on otherwise.)

I don't want a backpack (already have one and it's too slow to get at stuff) and would prefer either a shoulder or sling-type bag.  Is one of these a good choice?  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any comments.

Eldor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164983\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:05:18 am »

I have the slingshot 200AW and have put a 1DS MKII in it together with several lenses and a number of accessories. I find the three point harness is only just stable enough for prolonged wear with this weight. If I had the 300AW, I would be tempted to put more in it and I really think it would be marginal.
I too have the 70-200F2.8 IS, but I do not carry it in this bag. I will be selling it anyway as I do not think it is actually that great a lens. It has quite marked vignetting at working apertures, which makes it tricky to use for stitching and with an IR converted body it produces quite a pronounced central bloom when shooting into the light(or IR if you prefer). My suggestion would be to ditch it and get the cheaper, lighter, smaller and allegedly sharper 70-200f4 IS USM, which also apparently has superior IS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164988\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Drew,

Thanks.  I wonder if maybe you got a bad copy of the lens?  I love mine.

There are so many choices, even from one manufacturer, which just show that everyone's needs and tastes are different.  For example, I had both the 300 2.8LIS and 300 f4L IS lenses and got rid of the f4.  And love the 2.8.  And as far as the 70-200 goes, I'm actually looking forward to the 200 f2L IS that Canon's been talking about.  Obviously you and I have different shooting styles and tastes.

In any case, I've ordered the Slingshot 300AW.

Cheers

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:13:11 am »

I use the Lowepro Slingshot SS300, and it has been my main bag for over a year, or since it came out.  It will not fit the 70-200 IS with the lens hood in the operating position.  I use the bag with a !dMkII, and keep the 16-35, 28-135, 100-400 and my 15mm fisheye in the bag, below a flap under the 16-35.  I keep the camera around my neck, and keep the center compartment empty so that if I want to put the camera away so that pizza residue doesn't get on the lens, it goes in the center pocket.  I reverse the lens hoods. 

I know what you're talking about because the hood on my 100-400 is also worn.  I have nightmares of it folling off while the lens is stuck through the grating on the Empire State Bldg, but so far so good.  I don't think you will find a sling bag or shoulder bag that will hold the mounted 70-200 with the hood in shooting position.  Probably a backpack or one of the big rolling packs could be configured for that, but thqt would limit accessibility and ease of carrying the gear.

I would replace the lens hood if it had to be taped on.  The $40 or so, while high if you consider that the threads really shouldn't wear out, would be worth it to me to be able to use the SS300.  The bag is very, very lightweight, and when it is adjusted right, partly resting slightly below waist level in the back, with the supportive waist belt adjusted right I can walk around all day with no strain.  Moving the bag to the front to change lenses is fast and easy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164992\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Walter, thanks.

Are we talking about the same, or different bags here?  I'm talking about the 300AW and you mention the SS300.

I've ordered the 300AW and should see it by the end of next week.  I'm hoping that with the hood in place in shooting position, the lens will fit into the bag.  Without the camera body attached, that is.

I guess I really should look into getting a new hood for that lens.

I'm trying to create a travel-light, operate-quick setup here.  If I'm not going with two bodies, I'd like to be able to whip one lens out and change, putting the one from the camera into the bag.  And do this quickly.  With that in mind, I won't be reversing the lens hood, and in most cases won't even have the front cap in place.

I've got other bags for when I want to carry more gear and don't need to swap lenses so quickly.

Cheers!

walter.sk

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:10 pm »

Walter, thanks.

Are we talking about the same, or different bags here?  I'm talking about the 300AW and you mention the SS300.

I've ordered the 300AW and should see it by the end of next week.  I'm hoping that with the hood in place in shooting position, the lens will fit into the bag.  Without the camera body attached, that is.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the Slingshot(SS)300AW.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:07:03 pm »

I use the Tamrac Velocity 9X. I carry a Canon EOS 1Ds with 70-200 2.8 IS attached, 24-70 2.8L, 580EXII flash, remote cable, off camera flash cable and various batteries, CF cards and polarizers in the bag. The sling bag is a great tool to keep your camera at ready position the bag. The top of the bag opens away from you for easy access.
Gerald J Skrocki

Jay Kaplan

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:31:09 pm »

I use the Tamrac Velocity 9 and carry a Pentax SpotMatic with the 100mm Macro attached. I still have room for my 300mm tele, 28 mm wide angle, a flash, about a dozen rolls of film and assorted other stuff.

For point of reference, the SpotMatic is about the same size as the Canon 20D and subsequent models.

The bag is roomy, comfortable and not so large as to become a problem. Also, with the top/front opening, I can easily get to the camera and the other stuff without having to take the bag off of my shoulder.

Very practical.

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:39:01 am »

It's the Slingshot(SS)300AW.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Walter, in your first message you mentioned "mounted" when talking about the bag not holding the lens.  Just to clarify, are you saying that the 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens, with hood attached in the shooting postion WITHOUT the camera body attached, will NOT fit into the Slingshot 300AW bag?  Or that with a camera attached to that combo it won't fit?

As I said, I've ordered the bag already and I'm really hoping that the lens, with only the hood attached (no camera) WILL fit.

If it doesn't fit, does anyone know if the Tamrac Velocity 9 will handle it?

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:45:54 am »

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments!

I'm really not interested in carrying the lens WITH CAMERA ATTACHED in the bag, but I do want to put the 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens into the bag with the lens hood attached in shooting position (without camera).  Can you confirm that this will fit into the bag?

The camera with lens without the hood is shorter than the lens without the camera but with the hood in shooting position.

I called around here in Montreal but couldn't find a dealer with either of these bags.  Closest I got was a 200AW which is of course smaller than the 300AW.  So I had to go mail-order.   My dealer (Allen's Camera) had both bags in stock but strongly recommended the Lowepro over the Tamrac in terms of build quality he said so that's the one I ordered.  Looks like I'm going to have to order the Tamrac as well.

A man can never have too many camera bags.  SIGH

Eldor

I use the Tamrac Velocity 9X. I carry a Canon EOS 1Ds with 70-200 2.8 IS attached, 24-70 2.8L, 580EXII flash, remote cable, off camera flash cable and various batteries, CF cards and polarizers in the bag. The sling bag is a great tool to keep your camera at ready position the bag. The top of the bag opens away from you for easy access.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:48:36 am »

Thanks for the report, Jake, but it still doesn't tell me if the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens will fit into the bag with the hood attached in shooting position but without a camera body attached.  Which was the point of posting the question.

I use the Tamrac Velocity 9 and carry a Pentax SpotMatic with the 100mm Macro attached. I still have room for my 300mm tele, 28 mm wide angle, a flash, about a dozen rolls of film and assorted other stuff.

For point of reference, the SpotMatic is about the same size as the Canon 20D and subsequent models.

The bag is roomy, comfortable and not so large as to become a problem. Also, with the top/front opening, I can easily get to the camera and the other stuff without having to take the bag off of my shoulder.

Very practical.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:18:03 am »

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments!

I'm really not interested in carrying the lens WITH CAMERA ATTACHED in the bag, but I do want to put the 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens into the bag with the lens hood attached in shooting position (without camera).  Can you confirm that this will fit into the bag?

Eldor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eldor,

I just tried fitting my 70-200 2.8 IS L in the Tamrac Velocity 9X bag with the lens hood attached in shooting position (off camera) and it does fit, the top of the bag closes with no problem.
Gerald J Skrocki

walter.sk

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:56:28 am »

Walter, in your first message you mentioned "mounted" when talking about the bag not holding the lens.  Just to clarify, are you saying that the 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens, with hood attached in the shooting postion WITHOUT the camera body attached, will NOT fit into the Slingshot 300AW bag?  Or that with a camera attached to that combo it won't fit?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just tried fitting the 100-400 with the lens hood in shooting position into the center compartment in the bag.  With the rear lens cap on, the lens is a bit tall for the compartment, but if you lean it slightly to one side, it is still possible to zip the top.  It might take some adjustment of the placement of the partitions to make the center compartment a bit wider than the way it ships, but that is easy to do.

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:18:25 pm »

Thanks Jerry (and Walter)!

Looks like I'm going to have to order the Velocity 9 after all.  From reports, the Slingshot 300AW isn't going to be big enough.

As I said though, you can't have too many camera bags, so I plan on keeping the 300AW as well.  It sounds like it's somewhat smaller and may be suitable for other uses.

If I'm prowling urban areas looking for shots and travelling light, I like to take my 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS.  But if I'm shooting a model (and travelling light) I prefer the 35 f1.4L, 50 1.4, 85 1.2L and 135 2L.  And if I can manage it, my 300 2.8L IS also (I just love the "instant background" I get with that lens when shooting it wide-open).

Cheers!

JohnIgel

• http://www.igelimages.com
Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »

I used one of the Slingshot bags and it did not last even one year before the stitching on the shoulder strap gave way from the bag.  I do not recommend the Slingshot if you want something that is going to last a while.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:21:43 pm by JohnIgel »

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 09:29:58 am »

Thanks for commenting, John.  That's discouraging information though.  My mail-order dealer (who I've bought a lot of gear from and have a very good relationship with) had both bags in stock and he recommended the LowePro over the Tamrac because he said it was built better.  I hope your experience was not the norm with those bags.

In any case, I guess for the relatively low cost of these bags, if after heavy use I need to replace it in a year or so, it's not the end of the world.

I'd rank comfort and ease of use (suitability) higher than durability in this case.  

Are any of these sling bags offered in left and right versions?  One thing that I see from all the photos of these bags is that the Slingshot 300AW appears to be worn so that the bag comes forward on the shooter's left side.  The Tamrac Velocity 9 seems to come forward on the right side.  It doesn't look like either of these bags can be used the other way.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with a bag coming forward on my right side.  After 50 years with bags on my left, I doubt I could change.

I've got the 300AW arriving here by Wednesday (I hope) and I think I'll test it out before ordering the Velocity.  My main hesitation about the Velocity is that left-hand right-hand issue.  The bag might be great but having it on my right just won't work for me.

Cheers!

I used one of the Slingshot bags and it did not last even one year before the stitching on the shoulder strap gave wave from the bag.  I do not recommend the Slingshot if you want something that is going to last a while.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DonWeston

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 12:25:47 pm »

FWIW, I have had a Lowepro AW200 for over a year, been across the states and to Europe with it, never a problem. Small enough to fit on most if not all planes. All camera bags wear, but have never had a Lowerpro fail, tear, break or whatever in over 20 yrs of using their bags......

Jay Kaplan

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 04:38:24 pm »

I have the Velocity hanging on my right shoulder so the bag is on my left hip. The Velocity will work from either side of your body, and the main strap in nicely padded. Also, to keep it from moving you can use the additional strap to hold it tight to your waist.

Eldor

Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:09 am »

Just to finish off this thread with the answer to my orginal question...  My LowePro Slingshot 300AW bag arrived yesterday and I promptly filled it up.  

YES, the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens, with hood attached in the shooting position DOES fit into the middle part of the bag.  (Without the camera attached - but with the hood reversed the lens would fit with the camera body attached.)

Looks like the bag will suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Eldor

andreart

• Photographer Andrejs Zavadskis
Re: Which Sling Bag?
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:14 am »

I love my Pompidoo Tokyo leather bag ! Link to bag
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up