Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya AFDII 120mm macro Now or Later? Help  (Read 2585 times)

Snook

Mamiya AFDII 120mm macro Now or Later? Help
« on: January 02, 2008, 12:05:17 pm »

Just wondering if anybody know if the New 120mm macro is all that different, how much they will be "retailing" for, and when they will be available?
I have been wanting a 120mm macro for my Mamiya AFDII.
I currently have  a 35mm and a 55-110 which do not really impress me that much.
The reach on the 55-110 is strange and you can not focus from short distances!!
So I need a good portrait lens and have heard rave reviews on the Mamiya 120mm macro.
I would love to pick one up soon and was wondering if anybody thinks it would be worth it to wait for the new one or is there going to be any major differences..
The 120mm macro "N" Older 120mm macro is out of the question as you can not use it on people really.. Or at least I do not see how people are using it..?
In any case was wondering what others thought also...
Thanks a lot for any insight..:+]
Snook

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:21:54 pm »

Just wondering if anybody know if the New 120mm macro is all that different, how much they will be "retailing" for, and when they will be available?
I have been wanting a 120mm macro for my Mamiya AFDII.
I currently have  a 35mm and a 55-110 which do not really impress me that much.
The reach on the 55-110 is strange and you can not focus from short distances!!
So I need a good portrait lens and have heard rave reviews on the Mamiya 120mm macro.
I would love to pick one up soon and was wondering if anybody thinks it would be worth it to wait for the new one or is there going to be any major differences..
The 120mm macro "N" Older 120mm macro is out of the question as you can not use it on people really.. Or at least I do not see how people are using it..?
In any case was wondering what others thought also...
Thanks a lot for any insight..:+]
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the new "D" macro, but as I have never owned the previous model, I can't give you any comparative data. My understanding is that it is priced the same as the old - certainly true at my dealer.

Initially I thought my macro was faulty (it just didn't seem as sharp as the 75-150 D zoom) and sent it back to the dealer who checked it out and assured me it was fine. He feels my tests were erroneous.

I got the lens back from him today and am going to test it more carefully and rigorously. It may be that I wasn't focussing it accurately. This is puzzling because I've been a photographer for over 50 years and figure I know how to focus a camera! Or it may be that at non-macro distances the zoom IS sharper. One other owner of the zoom has told me (in this forum) that he hardly uses the macro any more because he finds the zoom sharper.

I will find out this weekend and post my findings.

Bill

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:05:22 am »

It would be interesting to know how many lemons are mixed in with each batch of oranges.

I tend to trust my eyes when comparing colors

Edmund

Initially I thought my macro was faulty (it just didn't seem as sharp as the 75-150 D zoom) and sent it back to the dealer who checked it out and assured me it was fine. He feels my tests were erroneous.

This is puzzling because I've been a photographer for over 50 years and figure I know how to focus a camera! Or it may be that at non-macro distances the zoom IS sharper. One other owner of the zoom has told me (in this forum) that he hardly uses the macro any more because he finds the zoom sharper.

I will find out this weekend and post my findings.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164918\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up