Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5100 media selection on LCD panel  (Read 11281 times)

John Hollenberg

iPF5100 media selection on LCD panel
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 06:32:25 pm »

Very interesting, John. Now the next question is actually which settings were overridden. Was it just the ink load and black ink, or did it extend to include things such as suction, margins, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know the answer to that question.  Based on the test prints, I would say which black ink and total ink limits for sure.  To test the other part, you would have to select a setting at the printer with a media type that was known to, say, produce a head strike due to vacuum setting being too low and see if the head strikes went away when the correct media type was set in the plugin, but not at the printer LCD.  I don't think I will be doing those tests, though  

--John

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 05:51:11 pm »

Did we ever get resolution to the original question? I am going to do some of my own tests to see what happens. If the hardware selections at the printer for the media type and size are overwritten by the printer driver on the computer, then why have the settings at the printer at all?
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

John Hollenberg

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 06:01:15 pm »

Did we ever get resolution to the original question?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe that the results of my testing show that Media Type is clearly overridden by plugin/printer driver settings.  As to why have the settings in the print--only Canon can answer that one.

--John

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 08:24:57 pm »

I believe that the results of my testing show that Media Type is clearly overridden by plugin/printer driver settings.  As to why have the settings in the print--only Canon can answer that one.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, I believe your test only proved that the ink type and color profile were overriden by the plug-in.
Gerald J Skrocki

John Hollenberg

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 10:04:13 pm »

John, I believe your test only proved that the ink type and color profile were overriden by the plug-in.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Technically you are correct.  However, when I printed a linearization target using different Media Types, the one printed with Media Type Premium Matte set at both printer and plugin visually matched the one printed with Special 1 set at the printer and Premium Matte set at the plugin.  There were some significant visual differences between those two targets and the one printed with Special 1 set for both printer and plugin--in other colors besides the black ink.  I would have to print targets of 1000 patches or more using those different settings and measure them in order to prove this to be the case, or I could print some real photos and see if they match up.  

Either way, I am quite sure they would match.  However, I will leave this test to someone who has a burning need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Media Type set in the plugin overrides that set at the printer LCD     I always set the Media Type correctly at the printer, so it is of only academic interest to me.

--John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up