Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up a print server using a Mac and PC  (Read 2743 times)

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
How to set up a print server using a Mac and PC
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:13:53 pm »

I have a Z3100, and would like to use Qimage. I presently use a PowerPC Mac for my image processing and just about everything else. I recently acquired a PC from my brother and would like to use it as a print server, and I'm assuming I can use Qimage at that point.

I didn't find any threads about setting this up, but I'm wondering if someone can give me pointers as to the best workflow with this set up.

Thanks very much

Paul Litherland

garyfcampbell

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:38:31 pm »

I have a Z3100, and would like to use Qimage. I presently use a PowerPC Mac for my image processing and just about everything else. I recently acquired a PC from my brother and would like to use it as a print server, and I'm assuming I can use Qimage at that point.

I didn't find any threads about setting this up, but I'm wondering if someone can give me pointers as to the best workflow with this set up.

Thanks very much

Paul Litherland
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do exactly that.  

I share the Mac folder with the files I want to print with QImage with Windows.  I mount the shared folder on my Windows machine, and I have QImage work off of the mounted Mac folder.

It is easy to share a folder from the Mac to Windows, just turn on file sharing in system preferences, select the folder(s) to share, and turn on SMB sharing from the "Options" button on the file sharing window.

On the windows machine I map a network drive to \\mymacname and browse for the shared folder.

Make sure you have a decent network set up, 100mb should work fine.

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:07:18 pm »

I'm looking to do the same setup with my Mac to a pc server with Qimage.
Is there a recommended version of Windows that is most reliable?
I'm working with a HP z3100 printer and am on a Mac G5 but will upgrade to newer Mac Intel when they come out. I'm printing using Ethernet.
Thanks, Doug

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:56:43 pm »

I'm looking to do the same setup with my Mac to a pc server with Qimage.
Is there a recommended version of Windows that is most reliable?
I'm working with a HP z3100 printer and am on a Mac G5 but will upgrade to newer Mac Intel when they come out. I'm printing using Ethernet.
Thanks, Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you're planning on getting an Intel Mac, you might save yourself the joys of networking by running Windoze on the Mac under virtualisation software such as Parallels or Fusion. I use Fusion (by VMWare) on my MacBook Pro and for what little I need to do with it, it's perfectly adequate. I believe that there are problems with some games, particularly those using 3D graphics.

The mode which VMWare call Unity (I think Parallels calls it Coherence), in which the Windoze windows are freely mingled with Mac windows looks quite surreal when you first see it.

Jeremy

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:25:33 am »

I am finding the little windows machine I have too slow with Qimage, in printing a 28 x 38" image today, it must have taken about 30 minutes to render before spooling it to the printer. I should check the quality settings I suppose, any suggestions on that?

Thanks for the tip on using the shared folder(s), that seems to work fine.

Paul Litherland

garyfcampbell

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 05:11:25 pm »

I am finding the little windows machine I have too slow with Qimage, in printing a 28 x 38" image today, it must have taken about 30 minutes to render before spooling it to the printer. I should check the quality settings I suppose, any suggestions on that?

Thanks for the tip on using the shared folder(s), that seems to work fine.

Paul Litherland
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Paul,

I'm not sure why it took so long, you might repost your QImage performance question with more of your settings and/or PC configuration.  THere are many QImage users here.

You might also try moving the shared folder from the Mac to the local disk of the Windows machine to see if that improves performance.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up