Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused how LR saves changes  (Read 2155 times)

Littlefield

Confused how LR saves changes
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:57:50 am »

Ok I import raw files from my hard drive work on them . How do you save the changes ?
They are on my hard drive in raw and LR will not save the changes unless you export a tiff or jpeg right ?
I mean when you get the raw how you like it in LR you should save it with a tiff or jpeg  or will LR keep those  changes in the develop mode unless you alter them .
I am printing in LR so do I need to save what I did to my hard drive by export ?

How do you export changes to metadata?

Thanks this is new to me .
Don

genemcc

• http://pixveritas.com
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 06:49:07 am »

As you've already found out LR has no SAVE button.  That's because every change you make to an image is stored in LR's database.  If you want to push these changes out to the file (jpeg or DNG or XMP in the case of RAW) then you can choose save metatdata to file from the metadata menu or press Ctrl+S.  

You can also turn on Automatically write changes into XMP on the Metadata tab of your catalog settings.  This will write all changes out for you.

Now, until you export your image to jpeg or TIFF or PSD, etc, the changes aren't "baked in".  The point of LR editing is to be non-destructive so the database remembers everything you did.
Gene
Li

Littlefield

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:41:22 am »

As you've already found out LR has no SAVE button.  That's because every change you make to an image is stored in LR's database.  If you want to push these changes out to the file (jpeg or DNG or XMP in the case of RAW) then you can choose save metatdata to file from the metadata menu or press Ctrl+S. 

You can also turn on Automatically write changes into XMP on the Metadata tab of your catalog settings.  This will write all changes out for you.

Now, until you export your image to jpeg or TIFF or PSD, etc, the changes aren't "baked in".  The point of LR editing is to be non-destructive so the database remembers everything you did.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the reply you explained that well.
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up