Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoid Cliches  (Read 17293 times)

Er1kksen

Avoid Cliches
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:21 pm »

Sunsets and flowers and the half-dome are not necessarily cliches.

If you want to create an image of, say, the half-dome that has artistic merit, you could either

a) look at what's been done and what flaws other images have had, and try to eliminate those flaws and perfect the traditional approach to the image or

look at what's been done, and once there figure out what hasn't been done, and try to find a new approach to the image that makes it fresh, rather than cliche.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a typical flawed cliche photograph for the purpose of memory.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Avoid Cliches
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 04:08:30 pm »

the problem with viewing lots and lots of other peoples' photo beforehand is that ALL tourism photos tend to seem like clichees after a while. Then you end up with little else to shoot.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Avoid Cliches
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:08 pm »

I find the easiest way for the world to open up into amazing vistas, the light to do wonderful things is to go out without your camera!!!!!

In fairness, a lot depends on how much time you have. I like to hang around some place and after about 30 minutes the best ideas and shots often come without "forcing" them too much.
image examples are at my website  [url=h

jsstiff

Avoid Cliches
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »

You may not want to worry about avoiding cliches. Instead, ask yourself why you are making the image in the first place. If you are a professional with the intention of making money, the question shouldn't be "is it cliche?" but "will it sell?". Thomas Kincaide has been repeatedly berated for being "cliche". However, he is also one of the best selling artists of recent years.

panoak

Avoid Cliches
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 12:45:03 am »

I agree that one should shoot the cliches, along with everything else.  Living in Las Vegas, it's hard to see anything that hasn't been (isn't being) shot to death.  For my shot of the Paris fountain, I waited until there were no people in the frame.
     The subject has been well covered so far, and I agree with most of it, except for looking at a lot of other peoples' shots of the same thing.  Maybe it's just me, but I tend to confuse the memory of someone else's' work with my own confirmation of a good shot, and end up shooting a copy.  For me, spontaneity is important.  A lot of potential shots present themselves, and I pass them over.  Part of "vision" is to pause and look at the scene as a still, and shoot for yourself.
     I also disagree with shooting things that abhor me.  Driving a cab in 'Vegas, I see corpses, crashes, fights and fires and mayhem.  What good is that?  If a scene from life is not aesthetically pleasing, why would I wish to record it?  My studies in light must remain free of those dark views, if I am to remain true to my own photographic aims.  In presenting images for others to see, I should hope that it helps to turn their view away from the darkness in their own life view.
     Shoot it all, and when you go back to edit later on, ask yourself what compelled you to pause, and notice that scene.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Avoid Cliches
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 02:23:43 am »

Shoot anything you want.

Except...

1.  Antelope Canyon.
2.  The Wave.
3.  The place with the black, dried up trees and the red sand.
4.  The place with the black sand and the bleached white trees.

I may be missing a few, but those are the biggies.

Since Jan 1, 2008 those places have been declared World Cliche Heritage Sites, it is now a misdemeanor to take new ordinary photographs in any of those locations, and a second degree felony to take HDR photos.

Other than that, go for it.

John Camp

Avoid Cliches
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »

Shoot anything you want.
Except...
1.  Antelope Canyon.
2.  The Wave.
3.  The place with the black, dried up trees and the red sand.
4.  The place with the black sand and the bleached white trees.
I may be missing a few, but those are the biggies.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

5. Any nude woman sitting on what appear to be sharp rocks, next to a stream.
6. A cowboy with a weathered face next to the weathered boards of a shack.
7. Your girlfriend, in any state of undress. (Although these might not *necessarily* be cliches; if you would like to post those, we could make a judgment here.)
8. A really big cloud hanging over phone poles and the tops of nearby houses.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:14:49 pm by John Camp »

amcinroy

Avoid Cliches
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 06:42:44 am »

My advice to you.

Shoot what you enjoy shooting.

If it's good and it's not a cliche, then it soon will be.

Andy
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
Avoid Cliches
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 09:09:29 pm »

First of all, THANK YOU everyone.  The discussion has been truly useful.  I was surprised for the vigorous and intelligent defense of "cliches" but the advice I think is best can be summed up as "If it feels (looks) good - do it".

If the assembled colleagues may kindly look at my online galleries and run up my hit count numbers, leave pithy comments and links to cool stufff, preferably of their own, that would be great. The welcome mat is open at www.pbase.com/goodlistener.

Rob C

Avoid Cliches
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 01:56:32 pm »

First of all, THANK YOU everyone.  The discussion has been truly useful.  I was surprised for the vigorous and intelligent defense of "cliches" but the advice I think is best can be summed up as "If it feels (looks) good - do it".

If the assembled colleagues may kindly look at my online galleries and run up my hit count numbers, leave pithy comments and links to cool stufff, preferably of their own, that would be great. The welcome mat is open at www.pbase.com/goodlistener.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174725\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the invitation to visit, but does the site meet John Camp´s item no. 7?

Ciao - Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up