Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with H2 viewfinder mask for Phase P30  (Read 4769 times)

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
Problem with H2 viewfinder mask for Phase P30
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:55:41 pm »

Hello all,

First of all, a big happy new year to everyone on this board.

I'm having a problem with the Phase P30+ viewfinder mask for my H2. The Phase instructions indicate that it should be installed underneath the focusing screen, but mine seems to be acting like a shim and altering the focus in the viewfinder. Without the paper backing, it lessens the effect, but it's still there.

I would prefer to have the mask opaque, as opposed to grayed-out.

Any secrets to installing it? Anyone else have this problem? My dealer suggested that I try installing it above the focusing screen, but I can't get it to sit correctly.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Bernd B.

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 03:21:59 am »

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with the Phase P30+ viewfinder mask for my H2. The Phase instructions indicate that it should be installed underneath the focusing screen, but mine seems to be acting like a shim and altering the focus in the viewfinder. Without the paper backing, it lessens the effect, but it's still there.

Any secrets to installing it? Anyone else have this problem? My dealer suggested that I try installing it above the focusing screen, but I can't get it to sit correctly.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,

I can´t answer your question, but I remember that there was a whole thread on this problem this year. Did you browse the archive?

Bernd

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 04:52:56 am »

Hello all,

Thanks.

i just had a look at my h1, the mask can go around both ways, and mine sits in a recess, slightly below where the focusing screen sits. it doesnt hold the screen up in anyway.
looking down at the camera, the mask has side with the two tabs facing right. the tabs on the mask misses the three points that hold up the focusing screen.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:00:08 am »

I have my mask on top of the screen. It is just a plain sticker nothing more  

No, it is not perfect but having worked with 6x6 finders without mask and sensors ranging from 24x36, 43x32 and 49x37 I have no real problem using no mask at all.

It does seem like asking for problems to install the mask below the screen. I have never tried that but can imagine your manual focussing will be off afterwards (unless the mask doesn't lift the screen).

I have no focus problems with my H2.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:21:56 am »

Gregory,

Here are two possible work-arounds for your issue:

1.  Pull off the paper adhesive and use a Sharpie to black out the mask area.

2.  Place the mask under the ground glass and use the eyesight adjustment wheel to pull
     your focus in to line.

I hope that one of these help you. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Happy New Year!

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration

(404)234-5195   Cell
(404)522-7662   Atlanta
(305 )534-5701    Miami
(877 )217-9870   National
www.captureintegration.com
chris@captureintegration.com

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:27:27 am »

I have my mask on top of the screen. It is just a plain sticker nothing more  

No, it is not perfect but having worked with 6x6 finders without mask and sensors ranging from 24x36, 43x32 and 49x37 I have no real problem using no mask at all.

It does seem like asking for problems to install the mask below the screen. I have never tried that but can imagine your manual focussing will be off afterwards (unless the mask doesn't lift the screen).

I have no focus problems with my H2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have placed the viewfinder mask on top of the screen too. My H2 focuses much better than my 1D Mark3. Much much better even in dark.

Hasselblad has premasked viewfinder screens but I don't know if they have it for P30 size sensors.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

j.miller

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:05:23 pm »

Gregory,
      You might have a look at the focusing screens for the H3D/H3DII Series cameras. These screens are masked with any entirely opaque mask for both 36x48mm (22MP & 39MP) and 33×44mm (31MP) sensors. I have seen these used in place of stock focusing screens with H1's and H2's, in conjunctions with Hasselblad CF-Series backs, as well as Leaf Aptus backs. It is a much more elegant solution than adding masks to the stock screen.

Here are the Hasselblad part numbers:

#3043328 - Focusing Screen for H3D-22/39
#3043330 - Focusing Screen for H3D-31

These screens cost around $234.00.

Bare in mind these screens might have a very slight effect on accuracy of the metering system of the H1/H2, given change in apparent viewfinder size, etc.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Hello all,

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:08:55 am by j.miller »

G_Allen

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 12:34:32 pm »

Great --thanks for all the help. I'll give the suggestions a try, and will definitely look for one of the hasselblad screens.

One other question -- can the new magnified "digital" prism be used with the H2? Or is it H3D only? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 12:41:13 pm »

Bill Maxwell of Maxwell Precision Optics may be able to help you.  He has several screen options and several modifications that he will be able to help you with.  This is the information that I received from his unofficial site:

Bill Maxwell
Maxwell Precision Optics
maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net
(404)244-0095

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration

(404)234-5195   Cell
(404)522-7662   Atlanta
(305 )534-5701    Miami
(877 )217-9870   National
www.captureintegration.com
chris@captureintegration.com

RicAgu

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:47:33 pm »

I would also advise Bill Maxwell screens.

I tried the drop in masks and they were horrible.  

The Hassy screen is just fine.  I had one.  

But then I got a Maxwell screen with the exact crop lines and it is simply amazing.  Completely brightens up the image and give you what appears to be a bit more accuracy.

Best of luck and well worth the money.

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:47:56 pm by RicAgu »

G_Allen

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:03:26 pm »

I'll have to see about the Maxwell screens.  I once tried to order one for my Contax, but it was going to take a month or so I didn't go through with the order.

A maxwell screen with the magnified digital prism could be a very interesting combination, if the new prism fits the H2.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 01:48:28 pm »

I'll have to see about the Maxwell screens.  I once tried to order one for my Contax, but it was going to take a month or so I didn't go through with the order.

A maxwell screen with the magnified digital prism could be a very interesting combination, if the new prism fits the H2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i sent an email around a few hasselblad people and they thought the new finders wouldnt work with an h1/2.  i not convinced though, i will take my h1 and test with a collegees h3d soon.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

j.miller

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:45 pm »

Gregory,
     The HVD90X prism (from the H3D/H3DII) will not work on an H1 or H2. The camera body will display an error message and will not allow operation until the prism is removed.

Regards,

Jordan

Great --thanks for all the help. I'll give the suggestions a try, and will definitely look for one of the hasselblad screens.
One other question -- can the new magnified "digital" prism be used with the H2? Or is it H3D only? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:08:38 am by j.miller »

G_Allen

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 04:01:34 pm »

Wow, that's too bad. Thanks for the info.

Gregory,
     The HVD90X prism (from the H3D/H3DII) will not work on an H1 or H2. The camera body will display an error message and will not allow operation until the prism is removed.

Regards,

Jordan
DTG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up