Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IS lenses + long exposures  (Read 1898 times)

Mike W

IS lenses + long exposures
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:07:51 am »

Hi folks,

I'm kinda new to the whole Image Stabilisation-thing, mostly because I shoot medium format film.
Lately I'm shooting landscape at night, long exposures with a Canon 5D, mirror up, cable release and tripod.

I don't have a need for IS for most of my work, and also no access to them.

I wonder however if IS stays active for the entire duration of the exposure? This would be useful to negate effects from e.g. a passing train, traffic or a single gust of wind.

thanks

Mike

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:57:59 am »

IS is active during the entire exposure.

IS does nothing to reduce subject movement.

For long exposures, (>1 second) IS is not helpful because it "drifts" slowly and will increase blurring.

Mike W

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:49:27 am »

Thanks, jonathan.

I wasn't talking about freezing a moving train, but about negating "seismic vibration" when a train passes the camera on a tripod (when standing on the platform). I was hoping IS could solve that inconveniance.

thanks for the reply.

John Sheehy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 01:45:46 pm »

I wasn't talking about freezing a moving train, but about negating "seismic vibration" when a train passes the camera on a tripod (when standing on the platform). I was hoping IS could solve that inconveniance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like Jonathan says, it will drift if it's active, because it doesn't see; it responds to motion.  Now, at some time in the future, "Live view" could be used in conjuction with IS to help it see, and then it may work well on a tripod for long exposures (or even hand-held), but that would require a new IS communication with the body, for lens-based IS.

BTW, Some IS lenses disable the IS when they sense tripod-like stability, even when the switch is on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up