Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO Warning!!!  (Read 4962 times)

sjprg

DXO Warning!!!
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:23:06 am »

Be aware that if you install the trial version of DXO that it also installs another another program named Interlok without telling you, in your root directory, that you cannot remove. IMO this is tresspassing and I am up in arms about it. It produced a conflict with other programs on my computer and required a reformat and reload of all my programs to get rid of it.
Paul

Arizona

DXO Warning!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:25:18 am »

I hope you are not using any Adobe products then or you will be as disappointed as you are with DXO.

Direct from Pace web site; " Hundreds of world-class software companies, from Adobe to Corel to Disney, trust PACE to solve their anti-piracy problems."
Glen

sjprg

DXO Warning!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:36:31 pm »

As a ligitimate purchaser of a product I feel that no product has a right to invade my computer and do anything EXCEPT the process it was purchased for. The practice of installing hidden files for the sellers protection is not in my interest and IS the same as hacking my system. How the seller controls the copying of his product is not my concern BUT he cannot be allowed to corrupt my computer system in any manner. The seller has legal recourse to pirates. He has no rights to my computer. PERIOD, NONE.
Paul

Tim Lookingbill

DXO Warning!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:37:19 pm »

Now how and why would a hidden file cause incompatiblity with another program? I was over at PACE site and couldn't find anything that would point to the cause.

This is the first I've ever heard of PACE, but not the first to know major=(expensive) programs install anti-priracy/license agreement enforcer files.

How did you go about proving it was the interlok file that caused the incompatibility?

Very interesting.

If this is legit, then this could be why so much of the general computing public, thinking they can steal from these companies and remain under the radar, have so many problems with their computers.

I heard of one individual who was trying to start a business using a used computer from a buddy of his that came with a full install of CS2 without having the serial number or the CD. And he keeps having difficulties printing and color matching.

Never realized a file like this could cause problems.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
DXO Warning!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 01:10:04 pm »

The issue of "software piracy" is  a tricky one. I remember back in the day that I had a legit copy of After Effects with it's ADB dongle. But I'd just got a new USB mac (shows you how long ago this was) and needed therefore my dongle swapped for a new USB one. This took a few weeks, so in that time I was without AE. But I'd downloaded the dongle "crack" so I could use my legit software in the meantime. Here was a case where the pirate had an easier time and more functionality than the legit user. At the time I was reviewing software for a print magazine in the UK, and in  the review of AE I'd noted that the dongle was a negative. Now you'll find  that Adobe have realized  this and got rid of the dongle.

You really have got to treat your customers better than the pirates, or your customers will join the pirates. That's the bottom line. There's very little you can actually do about piracy, but what you cannot afford to do is alienate your greatest resource, the paying customer. You should also treat people like you'd like to be treated yourself.

I remember the days when an edit suite would have a chain of maybe 10 dongles trailing off the back of it for  all the software and plugins. That chain would be physically unstable, and could crash the system. Why should a legit customer put up with such crap that makes them worse off than the pirate?

Logic used to be dongle protected, now with Apple's ownership, that has gone too. Of course, every dongle ever made has  been cracked....

Now it seems that invasive hidden software is the new "solution". It's not a solution, but a problem waiting to happen.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with copy protection on software, but it should not be designed to give the legit user a "user experience" that is worse than that of the pirate.

Graeme

kers

• Pieter Kers
DXO Warning!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:30:22 pm »

Be aware that if you install the trial version of DXO that it also installs another another program named Interlok without telling you, in your root directory, that you cannot remove. IMO this is tresspassing and I am up in arms about it. It produced a conflict with other programs on my computer and required a reformat and reload of all my programs to get rid of it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am using DXO for some time now ( apple osx4.11) but interlock does not seem to harm the system. DXO does a great job removing lens distortion- but the raw coverter is a bit crude ( 4.5)

I am using the program Little Snitch for some time now because some programs report to base about the serial you use... or something else... anyway- without my permission!
That should be illegal I find.  Little snitch reports the outbreak and ask me if it is allowed-
the program should be part of the operating system...
by the way you can remove everything if you log in as a superuser or root
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up