Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 v4  (Read 1995 times)

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
C1 v4
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:40:01 am »

I am not sure if this is the right section as the RAW section of these forums seems to be very specific to two other apps.
Anyway, i was wondering about the new version of Capture One, v4.  on all the blurb, it says it is an upgrade from the LE version not the pro version, yet it seems to support many pro bodies/backs and now even DNG.

Does this version obsolete previous C1pro 3.7x versions?

Can anyone say whether the treatment of IPTC/xmp info will now directly write into preocessed files?

Any feedback about the actual RAW processing?

Cheers
Rodney

DarkPenguin

C1 v4
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:49:42 am »

Beats me but here is the other Capture One version 4 thread ...

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=21802

Mike Arst

C1 v4
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:54:49 am »

C1 v.4 does support DNG. Recently some users in the C1 forum on PhaseOne's site reported problems working with DNGs...until someone learned from PhaseOne's tech support team that you must apply a capture profile to the DNG files. I don't recall if that is fully documented (there are a lot of problems with v.4's documentation).

> Does this version obsolete previous C1pro 3.7x versions?

I never used v.3.7 -- hated its UI -- but judging by comments I've seen in discussion forums: people who are long accustomed to a v.3.7 workflow should probably not remove v.3.7 from their systems at the time they install v.4. Instead, work with v.4 for a while to find out if it has too many 'pain points' and you need to go back to 3.7. PhaseOne has a lot of problems yet to fix in this program, IMO.

A potentially big problem for some 3.7 users: no utility provided with v.4 that translates 3.7 conversion settings from older files you might want to re-process in v.4. (v.4 uses not a central database but a kind of 'sidecar' file saved in a subdirectory of the one containing the raw image). Already I've seen one message in which someone (not a PhaseOne employee, though) said why that can't be done, realistically speaking. Well...if these devs are clever enough to design extremely complex conversion algorithms, why can't they also work out at least a rudimentary 3.7-to-4 translation -- at least to transfer enough settings to get the user into the ballpark, as it were? (But I'm a bit cynical about developers. I've seen too many cases of it can't be done that actually meant I don't want to.)

> Any feedback about the actual RAW processing?

I've been impressed by the v.4 conversions. Good color rendering; very good highlight/shadow recovery; and v.4 does the best job of rendering fine image detail of any converter I've used yet (ACR, Lightroom, SilkyPix, and, ugh, Canon's DPP). I will definitely use it -- how much, I don't know yet. (Because I didn't use 3.7, I can't compare v.4 raw conversions with 3.7 conversions.)

Lightroom has image-organizing tools that C1 can't begin to match. Both LR and SilkyPix have good HSL color correction tools -- no such thing in C1, which uses a somewhat crude (IMO) color-wheel control for color correction -- it's like, so 1999. There are enough brightness/EV/gamma/shadow/highlight controls in C1 to keep a person happy -- though I think Lightroom's curve controls beat everyone else's at the moment.

IOW: there's good news and bad news. If you want to hear more than you ever wanted to know about the bad news, also check out the message threads in PhaseOne's C1 v.4 forum.

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
C1 v4
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 02:10:18 am »

Thanks.
Caught up on other thread in this forum and will check Phase One site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up