Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Camera System?  (Read 5124 times)

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
Which Camera System?
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:51:40 pm »

Dear forums members,

I want to ask your opinion on the best camera system for my needs.  As my hobby is slowly turning into something more serious, artistic and business wise, I find myself wondering if my current setup is optimal for my future needs.

My photo needs are for printing nature and landscapes up to 24x36 therefore resolution is at the top of my list.  I use a tripod 95% of the time and use multiple exposures for HDR quite a bit.  The following is a list of features I consider very important for me in a camera system.

1. resolution:  needed to print large scale and to allow for cropping
2. viewfinder:  large and bright.  Some may disagree, but I consider this to be one of the most important aspects of a camera.  We spend so much time looking through the viewfinder and it shapes the way we do photography.
3. tilt & shift capabilities:  At least tilt capabilities since a good pano head can be used for panoramas
4. interactive:  one thing that really anoys me is a slow camera, meaning, slow turn-on, slow wright speeds, slow LCD, etc.
5. digital: not willing to consider film.
6. panoramas:  it is important for me to be able to make panos easily.  I find Shift lenses a great tool for this.
7. good dynamic range

So, based on the above requirements and a max $ amount of $10K, which camera system satisfies most of them?  At this point, I'm open to all suggestions, from 35mm to large format.

Looking forward to your comments and let me know if you need for info.

Araz

EgillBjarki

Which Camera System?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:45:27 pm »

Dear forums members,

I want to ask your opinion on the best camera system for my needs.  As my hobby is slowly turning into something more serious, artistic and business wise, I find myself wondering if my current setup is optimal for my future needs.

My photo needs are for printing nature and landscapes up to 24x36 therefore resolution is at the top of my list.  I use a tripod 95% of the time and use multiple exposures for HDR quite a bit.  The following is a list of features I consider very important for me in a camera system.

1. resolution:  needed to print large scale and to allow for cropping
2. viewfinder:  large and bright.  Some may disagree, but I consider this to be one of the most important aspects of a camera.  We spend so much time looking through the viewfinder and it shapes the way we do photography.
3. tilt & shift capabilities:  At least tilt capabilities since a good pano head can be used for panoramas
4. interactive:  one thing that really anoys me is a slow camera, meaning, slow turn-on, slow wright speeds, slow LCD, etc.
6. panoramas:  it is important for me to be able to make panos easily.  I find Shift lenses a great tool for this.
7. good dynamic range

So, based on the above requirements and a max $ amount of $10K, which camera system satisfies most of them?  At this point, I'm open to all suggestions, from 35mm to large format.

Araz
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Canon 1Ds Mark III and optics for 10.000$ budged.

You might also consider waiting for Nikons other FF camera witch will likly come at some point in 2008?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Which Camera System?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:25:28 pm »

Let's see...  Ultimate resolution, won't consider film and a $10K budget...  That sure doesn't leave you many options.

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Er1kksen

Which Camera System?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:16:19 pm »

Right now your only real options given those criteria, as far as I can see, would be an old 1ds ii (though those are still quite close to the mark iii price), or a new 1ds mk iii. That's still going to hit you at about $8000, and then you'll have to try to find some glass including some shift lenses within $2000. I suppose you might be able, with good technique, to get good 24x36 prints from a canon 5d or the new Nikon D3, either of which would leave you more money for lenses.

If this isn't a pressing concern, I'd wait for the higher-res Nikon that's still in the pipeline, and then see how it stacks up against the 1ds iii.

OR: http://www.adorama.com/MYZD645AFD2.html?se...amiya&item_no=3

That comes in at the limit of your budget, but has an advantage over the 1ds due to the larger sensor. I'm not sure about shift optics, but if there are any available you could probably sell the included lens and put the money towards it.

I'm not sure about it, but you may be able to get a medium-format or large format view camera that's compatible with digital backs for less than the ZD and pair it with one of the lower-spec (but still adequate) digital backs available. But I don't know too much about that.

TMcCulley

• http://
Which Camera System?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:48:17 am »

Dear forums members,

My photo needs are for printing nature and landscapes up to 24x36 therefore resolution is at the top of my list.  I use a tripod 95% of the time and use multiple exposures for HDR quite a bit.  The following is a list of features I consider very important for me in a camera system.

Araz

Your requirements specifications suggest to me that what you need is similiar to what Michael our host uses.  He uses a Pro level Canon DSLR, Lieca M8, a MF with a Phase One Back, and a Linhof 645 with the Phase One Back.   To support these cameras he has a variety of top line lenses and most important he only shoots a subset of nature and landscape photography.  To suggest that you can duplicate this range of capability on a 10k budget is somewhat optimistic.

The very first thing that you are going to need to do is rigorously define what you mean by nature and landscapes.  The very breadth of that statement includes lenses from 10.5mm to 600mm.  It also could include macro lenses and gear.  There is also various support gear like filters (polorizing, neutral density, color correcting and so on), flash especially with wildlife and macro.  If birds are included in nature then you are going to need 600mm and a Wimberly tripod head on a heavy duty tripod.

Now that you know what you are going to shoot pick the part that you are best at purchase whatever gear fulfills that area of photography.  As your photography generates cash flow you can start expanding your gear.

Lastly, this is a business and your purchases have certain tax advantages but the purchases also need to make good business sense

Tom

PS  Lets say a natural disaster wiped out everything and the insurance company gave you a big pile of cash.  I think it would take a minimum of $75,000 to put a pro photographer back in business and realistically would take more than $100,000.00

PS2  I shoot Nikon but my suggestion is you go with the Canon 5D and whichever of the Canon TS lenses plus whatever lenses that spends the rest of your budget as a starter system.

Marsupilami

Which Camera System?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:36:48 am »

Canon 5 D is a good choice for the money together with some fine lenses, but that is the problem, at wide angle there are not many fine canon lenses. the 14 / 2,8 L II is good but damn expensive, the 17-40 and 16-35 are usable but nothing more and the 24 TSE shift/tilt I found to be a bad joke in terms of sharpness and chromatic aberrations - photoshop did a better job. So my advice is not to think to much about shift lenses in the digital age. Even depth of field can be extended with software, so also no real need for tilt which is very hard to use with the tiny viewfinders of SLR cameras (thats still a plus for large format). Because of the weak wide angle lenses maybe a look to nikon and his new line of zooms which are said to be excellent is worth doing.

Good luck !

Christian

araz

Which Camera System?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:30:53 am »

The real question behind my original post is "should I consider MF + DB"?  I didn't ask the question directly to not bias the answers but most replies suggest to go with 35mm format.  I'm currently using a Canon 1DmkII with a selection of good lenses (L and primes) but I feel something is missing.

What that something is, I have not yet figured out exactly.  When I look through the viewfinder of my 1DmkII, I am rarely "wowed" by the image presented to me but when I open the file in PS I do see "it".  I also see it when printed within the limits of the resolution.  Maybe it's a disconnect between myself and the camera...?  I'm not sure.  I know I'm not making any sense but I'm questioning myself if the 35mm format is the right one for me and if MF is a better solution?

Nobody around me uses a MF so I can't ask anyone to try it out and I have never seen MF cameras in stores here in Montreal.

Has anyone else gone through this kind questioning?

Araz
You can see my online gallery here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting/showgal...bcheck=0&page=1

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Which Camera System?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:31:05 am »

You shoot with shift lenses. This means EOS, as no one else has much out there. A used 1DsII may be your best bet. Or wait until PMA and the 5D replacement's anticipated announcement. That will put more downward pressure on prices.

(I have made 30x40 and 40x60 prints from my 1DsII from my Antarctica trip, and no one has ever said either was lacking in any way. )

If mega-res is your aim, and you carry a tripod, then the pano-stitching capacity of CS3 and a good pano-setup from Really Right Stuff is your ticket (for around $500).  This might also free you from shift lenses, and allow you to consider a wider range of cameras and lenses.  All of the latest offerings are top-notch, so your choice should follow from personal preference for use more than anything else.

What you really need to consider, however, is how you're going to print that large. Any printer that size will burn most of your budget.  Plus, few people are inclined to buy photos that large, as they are massive when matted.  This may allow you to scale down your perceived equipment needs.

All the best,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
Which Camera System?
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 01:32:31 pm »

I have no experience of it as a piece of kit, but I did stumble across one of these on the internet recently.

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/...8/d927/f850.cfm

Shooting with a 50mm or 35mm prime to minimise distortion and maximise resolution, then building some 10-15 shot panoramas would seem like a possibility worth trying first.

TMcCulley

• http://
Which Camera System?
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:06:15 pm »

The real question behind my original post is "should I consider MF + DB"?  I didn't ask the question directly to not bias the answers but most replies suggest to go with 35mm format.  I'm currently using a Canon 1DmkII with a selection of good lenses (L and primes) but I feel something is missing.

Nobody around me uses a MF so I can't ask anyone to try it out and I have never seen MF cameras in stores here in Montreal.

Has anyone else gone through this kind questioning?

Araz
You can see my online gallery here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting/showgal...bcheck=0&page=1
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Araz,
You know that Michael does one on ones for a full day.  I know that most of the time it is about printing but why not give him a call and see if he could do a one on one shooting day using MF.  Here you could get information and instruction from an expert and even if it used 2k of your budget it would be money well spent.

You are not going to get into digital medium format for 10K anyway.  Your current system already offers the widest selection of lenses that you can buy.

Also I find it very hard to believe that there are no MF or LF Photographers or local organisations or businesses in the Montreal area to check out.

Good luck
Tom
PS I checked your gallery. Looks very good to me.

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Which Camera System?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 07:19:42 pm »

Hi Araz,

Happy New Year!

I'll be back in the office on Thursday... please give me a call.

My 1DMkIII is FINALLY going to be arriving around the end of the week.   What is it, more than 6 months now since you bought my MkII?

Anyway, I'd like to talk to you about perhaps exhibiting in our gallery (we moved and the new gallery is wonderful!).  And I also got a Canon iPF6100 printer (24") and it's giving us amazing results.  You should see the prints I'm making!

As far as your quest goes, people I've been talking to are really looking forward to the replacement for the 5D, but I think everything is just rumor at this point.  Another friend (John... I think you met him) is about to order a 1DsMkIII (he's got a MkII now).

Regards...

Eldor

araz

Which Camera System?
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 09:30:30 pm »

Hi Araz,

Happy New Year!

I'll be back in the office on Thursday... please give me a call.

My 1DMkIII is FINALLY going to be arriving around the end of the week.   What is it, more than 6 months now since you bought my MkII?

Anyway, I'd like to talk to you about perhaps exhibiting in our gallery (we moved and the new gallery is wonderful!).  And I also got a Canon iPF6100 printer (24") and it's giving us amazing results.  You should see the prints I'm making!

As far as your quest goes, people I've been talking to are really looking forward to the replacement for the 5D, but I think everything is just rumor at this point.  Another friend (John... I think you met him) is about to order a 1DsMkIII (he's got a MkII now).

Regards...

Eldor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Eldor,

Really good to hear from you again.  Has it only been 6 months, wow, it feels like years have gone by.  

Congratulations on the new store and gallery.  I have not been able to figure out the location yet.  I look for it from the street when I drive by that area but can't figure out which side it's on...

I also bought a 24" printer and I'm also loving it, it's an Epson 7800, got a good deal on lespac.

Lots to catch up on, I'll give a call on Thursday then.  Do you have a new number? Send me a PM if needed.

Take care,

Araz

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Which Camera System?
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 12:25:30 am »

Dear forums members,

I want to ask your opinion on the best camera system for my needs.  As my hobby is slowly turning into something more serious, artistic and business wise, I find myself wondering if my current setup is optimal for my future needs.

1. resolution:  needed to print large scale and to allow for cropping
2. viewfinder:  large and bright.  Some may disagree, but I consider this to be one of the most important aspects of a camera.  We spend so much time looking through the viewfinder and it shapes the way we do photography.
3. tilt & shift capabilities:  At least tilt capabilities since a good pano head can be used for panoramas
4. interactive:  one thing that really anoys me is a slow camera, meaning, slow turn-on, slow wright speeds, slow LCD, etc.
6. panoramas:  it is important for me to be able to make panos easily.  I find Shift lenses a great tool for this.
7. good dynamic range

So, based on the above requirements and a max $ amount of $10K, which camera system satisfies most of them?  At this point, I'm open to all suggestions, from 35mm to large format.

Araz
Hi
Canon 1Ds3. I am very impressed with it. Very bright view finder & Canon has the best AF system on the market. 5d is a great camera for the money but it will be replaced some time in the new year as it is over 2 years old.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: [1]   Go Up