Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideal Develop Settings  (Read 2220 times)

azicit

• http://www.azicit.com
Ideal Develop Settings
« on: December 29, 2007, 01:45:49 pm »

Lightroom automatically defaults to:

Exposure -0-
Blacks -+5
Brightness -+50
Contrast  - +25
Clarity -0-
Vibrance-0-
Saturation -0-

It has been suggested that a more ideal default would be

Blacks -0-
Brightness +25
Contrast +23
Vibrance +22
Saturation +8

Sharpening to -0-

Any thoughts???  What setting do you usually start with on import

TMcCulley

• http://
Ideal Develop Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 02:11:33 pm »

I hate to do this to you but    I think it depends entirely on the types or styles of photography that you do.  I do not think there is a single default that works for everything.  In fact I think that is the reason for using presets.  You setup the defaults for a given approach then apply the preset for that image or group of images.  Example say you are doing some sunrise/sunset studies and you have that warm glow but you want it toned down a little in all of your pictures use one preset but that night when you are shooting a volleyball, basketball, swim meet under mixed lighting you would have a different preset.

Nothing like a non-answer but I hope this helps.  

Tom

azicit

• http://www.azicit.com
Ideal Develop Settings
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:21:51 pm »

I appreciate the repsonse - I would agree that pretty much every images will need further tweaking depending on the various issues you stated.  Lightroom created a default that is certainly is not ZERO- I know a lot of photographers change the basic default starting point.

Just wondering what others have done and why

(Most of my work is Landscape as oppossed to studio work)

I hate to do this to you but    I think it depends entirely on the types or styles of photography that you do.  I do not think there is a single default that works for everything.  In fact I think that is the reason for using presets.  You setup the defaults for a given approach then apply the preset for that image or group of images.  Example say you are doing some sunrise/sunset studies and you have that warm glow but you want it toned down a little in all of your pictures use one preset but that night when you are shooting a volleyball, basketball, swim meet under mixed lighting you would have a different preset.

Nothing like a non-answer but I hope this helps.   

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TMcCulley

• http://
Ideal Develop Settings
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:03:38 am »

Azicit,

Ok I did not explain that very well. Using presets you can have defaults geared to a specific set of conditions.  Let say you are shooting three types of landscapes: early morning, late morning/early afternoon, and early evening or sunset.  You could use LR default setting (or create a specific preset for your Default)  and then you would create presets for each type of landscape (the following are not suggestions just an example of the technique).  You can set a value for every item under the Develop Tab and use that in a preset.  Which means you could have a different tone curve for each lighting type in addition to values listed below.  You could do your default capture sharpening or automatically convert to greyscale.

1. Early Morning - sunrise over the mountains most subjects are cold or somewhat blue.

Exposure -0-
Blacks -+0
Brightness -+75
Contrast  - +50
Clarity -50-
Vibrance-15-
Saturation -25-

2.  Late Morning/Early Afternoon - bright sun with some shadow detail primarily use Expose to the Right by one stop

Exposure - -1 -
Blacks -+10
Brightness -+25
Contrast  - +50
Clarity -75-
Vibrance-0-
Saturation -0-

3. Early Evening/Sunset - very warm tone
Exposure -0-
Blacks -0-
Brightness -+25
Contrast  - +20
Clarity -35-
Vibrance-10-
Saturation -30-

With these three presets you could reduce your workload by applying the preset when you do the import into LR.  Remember these are fake numbers once you deteremined the values that work for your style, location, and gear for each of the presets at least some of the pictures are done and ready to go when they are imported.  No more Post needed.

If I do not use a preset to establish a starting point I start at zero.

Tom

PS If you have only one style and only need one set of numbers then you will have to determine that from your pictures.  Someone elses numbers may work really great on the streets of LA using their camera, lenses, and computer systems but not in the mountains of Arizona using your camera, lenses, and computer systems.  When you get a new camera or different format camera you will probably have to change values to match the new equipment.  Also consider that your monitor and video card are a factor.  Have you calibrated your monitor?
Pages: [1]   Go Up