Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The perfect backpack  (Read 8098 times)

marcmccalmont

The perfect backpack
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:54:22 pm »

I was looking for a backpack last month to hold medium format gear.
The problem that I found was all photo backpacks have way to short a torso length (about 16") causing either the load to be carried high on the shoulders and the waist belt high around the stomach or the load carried too low and the belt around the waist. I have a photobackpacker Kelty 3100 for my large format camera. It has a torso length of about 22" and comfortably carries a load up on your shoulders with the belt round your waist. The Kelty is unpadded and the protection is from the photobackpackers inserts that work great for large format and not designed for SLR or medium format. I bought a Tenba shootout large as a comprimise and was again disapointed that the torso length is too short. But the entire inner section of the shootout removes and fits into the Kelty. Now I have the best of both, a backpack that fits, is comfortable and with the proper dividers and protection for the medium format equipment.
Marc

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

[attachment=4469:attachment][attachment=4470:attachment]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:01:51 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
The perfect backpack
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:28:16 pm »

Thanks for the tip, that bag looks awesome  I must say, 4 years down the road, I never found the perfect backpack, just I did build a collection of backpacks that do the work for me.

I personally tend to prefer waist-folding bags, such as the Lowepro CompuDayPack, the Lowepro Rover AWII ( one of my oldest and favorite backpacks to this day ), and the Crumpler Opulent Rooster XL.

Right now, the CompuDayPack is my everyday notebook + small camera gear bag. And the Opulent Rooster was recently purchased in hope to replace the Rover for a camera + notebook bag for when I have to work and carry a decent amount of gear, because even if the Rover is perfect, I need to take the notebook with me, and the Rover AW II isn't a computer-enabled bag. Still, I tried the CompuRover AW, and found a terrible annoying flaw, that is the same as in another of my bags, the CompuTrekker Plus AW ( which is, I don't feel the notebook is proper padded... when it's fully loaded, I feel the weight of the gear pressing against the notebook ).

I got the CompuRover for when I need a ton of gear + notebook. It's a huge backpack, which I never managed to fully fill. Also, because I intended to buy a Medium Format camera, and I needed a bag which would allow me that much. Buying such a huge bag proved to be an illusion, it's too big, and not anatomical enough. It tends to be much uncunfortable after the first hour with it on, and I get home with my shoulders in pure pain.

So, all in all, I have around 7 camera bags, some small, some big, and one HUGE. Depending on my needs that day, I go and fetch one that works for that. Right now, the Opulent Rooster is a great bag, and could fit a Medium Format camera with 3 lenses, but would take you some time thinking on how to fit everything in.

My suggestion, as always when it comes to bags, is to go to a local store, like I did when buying the Rooster. I went for two days, on each, I tested a bunch of bags. Took my camera, some gear, notebook, and I told the shop guys, who already knew me, that I wanted to see how it felt. I tested many bags, until I could rule out one by one, and the one remaining did suit my needs. And before I went to buy, I did a lot of online research  based on my experiences on what I wanted ( a Rover II replacement with a good notebook padded compartment ).

For that, there's a site which always helps me, CamBags.com . Here's a link:

http://www.cambags.com/

I hope it helps
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:35:27 pm by JessicaLuchesi »

astanley

The perfect backpack
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:35:35 pm »

I was looking for a backpack last month to hold medium format gear.
The problem that I found was all photo backpacks have way to short a torso length (about 16") causing either the load to be carried high on the shoulders and the waist belt high around the stomach or the load carried too low and the belt around the waist. I have a photobackpacker Kelty 3100 for my large format camera. It has a torso length of about 22" and comfortably carries a load up on your shoulders with the belt round your waist. The Kelty is unpadded and the protection is from the photobackpackers inserts that work great for large format and not designed for SLR or medium format. I bought a Tenba shootout large as a comprimise and was again disapointed that the torso length is too short. But the entire inner section of the shootout removes and fits into the Kelty. Now I have the best of both, a backpack that fits, is comfortable and with the proper dividers and protection for the medium format equipment.
Marc

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

[attachment=4469:attachment][attachment=4470:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the system... I wonder, though, will Tenba sell just the liner?  I need a new daypack, and this would be just the trick.  I just don't want to pay $200 for the guts and $120 for the pack itself!

Cheers,

-Andrew

marcmccalmont

The perfect backpack
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:35:53 pm »

I like the system... I wonder, though, will Tenba sell just the liner?  I need a new daypack, and this would be just the trick.  I just don't want to pay $200 for the guts and $120 for the pack itself!

Cheers,

-Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I sent them an Email no reply yet. I'm planing on selling the Tenba backpack (w/o liner) so perhaps I can recover $75 even so with the price of photo backpacks around $250 I've got $380 invested in something that works well and is comfortable!!
Marc
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:36:58 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
The perfect backpack
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:19:08 pm »

I use exactly the same setup for my 4x5 and DSLR except with a combination Photobackpacker and Lowepro Roadrunner insert. Works like a charm. In the outer pocket for long hikes, I insert a Camelback bladder with a drinking tube.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:20:01 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
The perfect backpack
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:22:38 am »

Hi Marc,

You may find interest in my post #11 here http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=20357&hl=

I use the now discontinued Tenba PBP. It is flat the best photographic piece of equipment I own and I have travelled worldwide with it. I now also have a spare Tenba PBP because I cannot see myself in future use any other pack to carry my gear. If you come across it; buy it.

It is funny that it is difficult finding a good pack to carry gear. Most seem made by people who have no idea what carry gear and on travels actually means. I will not trade my Tenba PBP for anything. Like you I sent emails to Tenba with no reply. It is strange when in fact I direct tell them what they had before was super to carry gear. Perhaps not same competent people there anymore...

Regards
Anders

JoanneMead

• http://www.joannemeadphotography.co.uk
The perfect backpack
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:14:47 pm »

My best backpack to date is the Kata HB-205.   I previously used a Lowepro Mini Trekker.  It wasn't deep enough when I upgraded to an EOS 5D with grip and the pack didn't distribute the weight very well.  The Kata is a well-built, deep pack that protects pro-sized cameras and lenses with ease.  The pack has a really tough outer and good padding.

The harness distributes the weight really well across the lumber region and down through the hips.  The tripod holder is good too.

The only criticism may stem from the need to remove the pack and fully open the pack to remove equipment.  The rain cover is brilliant and can easily be left out to dry.  One side is black, while the other size is designed to reflect heat away from the kit inside.

Well worth a look.  You just need to check whether it meets airline cabin baggage requirements.  It's close to the limit here in the UK.  I don't fly, so it isn't a problem for me.

Jo
Jo

Herts, UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up