Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30K APTUS 75S when CANON would do! Would it?  (Read 19081 times)

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
30K APTUS 75S when CANON would do! Would it?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2007, 12:52:35 am »

If it doesn't diminish the 1Ds3 in any way, then it must diminish the Canon lenses you are using. However, if the greater detail you see in the 22mp Aptus back is subtle and of pixel-peeping proportions, then it could simply be due its lack of an AA filter.

I'm a rational person. I have no need to give emotional support or allegiance to any particular brand or format of camera. I'm just really curious as to why in one situation a sensor that's double the area of another with the same pixel count produces a more detailed image with a greater sense of reality and 3-dimensionality (MFDBs compared with 35mm) and yet in another situation where a sensor is 4x the area (35mm compared with the Olympus 4/3rds system) no-one seems to mention such attributes of the larger sensor.

It is however sometimes admitted by owners of the Olympus 4/3rds system that dynamic range is not quite as great as in the larger 35mm format.

The other problem I have with this idea that the larger sensor itself results in this greater detail and sense of reality etc., is that no-one seems to be able to demonstrate it with properly conducted tests where FoV and DoF are matched and the best lenses are used with both formats.

It all seems mighty strange to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray,
I have no time to do the test but I can assure you that despite of what you hear from other guys, the girls on late night TV are always right when they say that size DOES MATTER.
There is the magic that only large or at leat medium size provides that can not be duplicated with small format regardless of one's skills ( I meant PShop skills).
Here are my three kids practicing with the right size camera. It still shoots and takes great pictures.
Lancaster 12"x15" serial numer#2,  AD1882
[attachment=4454:attachment][attachment=4455:attachment]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:56:20 am by AndreNapier »

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 02:07:09 am »

Profiling Leaf is however so easy that my 11 year old son can truly do it on his own even though ( because of the harsh USA under age labor laws ) he only works part time in my sweat shop studio.

Great shot of the kids, Andre! Can you ask your first born if he would teach me how to profile my AFi? In the meantime, and while I'm waiting for an AFi, your crew should start their own rock-n-roll band!

David

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2007, 02:26:48 am »

I only got one thing to say about the whole DB and Canon debate:

WHEN YOUR PICTURE SUCKS WITH A DB.......NOT EVEN 100K IN EQUIPMENT WILL SAVE YOUR IMAGE!!

So the whole tread is worthless!!!

Ray

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2007, 02:40:11 am »

Ray,
I have no time to do the test but I can assure you that despite of what you hear from other guys, the girls on late night TV are always right when they say that size DOES MATTER.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It sure does matter. It allows for a greater number of pixels. A bigger sensor with more pixels! Wow! How can the smaller sensor compete?

Lovely shot of the kids. Looks like you were practising ETTR with this one. Canon shot?

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2007, 02:49:05 am »

@Errold,
Thanks for the headsup, saves me missbuy

It can take some time before I buy, I'm now getting used to the whole TFT thing with the 2190.

Some things are different but not in a bad way, just getting used to, before I switch to a aRGB monitor prices HAVE to come down.
If the monitor I eyeballed is not in the picture anymore prices have to come down ALOT.
Most of my print work is delivered in sRGB (brrrr) because most printers can't do the conversion well themself so I get by perfectly with a standard gaumout monitor, however I want more for my free work.
My workflow is almost 100% ProphotoRGB so a ARGB monitor would be a good update.
I'm still bugged however with the dE accounted for by the calculations of the videocard which send out the data in 8 bits which is not enough for aRGB.

So I will sit and wait untill they are out there and properly tested by people I trust, or when I can get a demo unit from one of our suppliers.

AndreNapier

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2007, 03:03:09 am »

Terry Richardson is out there laughing his way to bank with a crappy little point and shoot. Dan Winters is making art with an 8x10 camera. Do you think they're posting meaningless polls on the internet? Do you think they're checking resolution charts? Do you really think they stop and think about what other photogs are shooting with?

Get real.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob,
After getting real we are all happy that you are here with us on LL making your 200+ post and not following the foot steps of Terry or Dan. At least this way your post does not sound so harsh.
Andre

AndreNapier

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2007, 03:13:43 am »

I only got one thing to say about the whole DB and Canon debate:

WHEN YOUR PICTURE SUCKS WITH A DB.......NOT EVEN 100K IN EQUIPMENT WILL SAVE YOUR IMAGE!!

So the whole tread is worthless!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nicolas,
it is 3AM Friday night. Have a drink - I am serving your choice of fine liquer. Who cares if a picture sucks at 3AM? As long as your camera looks cool, you are cool. BTW Canon zoom is a chick magnet.
Andre

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 04:27:56 am »

Especially the white ones.

Like the white knight on the white horse.

shelby_lewis

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2007, 11:44:35 am »

Especially the white ones.

Like the white knight on the white horse.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wait... I've got those lenses and it hasn't worked...

....must need a bigger sensor.  

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2007, 02:16:41 pm »

Hey Andre, Here's to the mother of your children..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM...=related&search

AndreNapier

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 08:06:23 pm »

Hey Andre, Here's to the mother of your children..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM...=related&search
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You made us laugh to tears. Thanks, it was great.
Andre
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up