Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color shift / saturation loss with RAW conversions  (Read 5665 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Color shift / saturation loss with RAW conversions
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:34:11 pm »

I am trying to make the shift from DPP to Lightroom for the xtra power and controls it offers for RAW processing.

However, I am finding that when I export my RAW files into PS for pixel editing that I get a color shift and slight loss of saturation - particularly in the reds and oranges. The file looks fin in Lightroom, but when its opened as a Tiff the color has definately shifted.

Camera RAW files are from a 5D.

Have double checked my color settings in PS and I beleive they are correct and my workflow is color managed.

I dont get this shift and loss of saturation with RAW conversions from DPP.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:36:11 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:11:30 pm »

Are you exporting the Edit file in the ProPhoto color space?

If not, the red and orange problems you described are typical of going to sRGB.

Make sure to edit in 16-bit ProPhoto - always.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Josh-H

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 10:30:10 pm »

Are you exporting the Edit file in the ProPhoto color space?

If not, the red and orange problems you described are typical of going to sRGB.

Make sure to edit in 16-bit ProPhoto - always.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks I checked that.

I have tracked the problem down to Lightroom not recognising my 2nd monitor's profile plugged into my laptop.

I can see PS changinging profiles dynamically as I drag it from my laptop monitor to my main NEC 2690 [connected to the laptop via DVI] - but Lightroom doesnt seem to recognise the 2nd monitor profile.

Is there any easy way to check this?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:37:41 pm »

I don't know the answer to this, but from what I know, Lightroom is not dual-monitor aware. That is, color management through the OS is only enabled on the main display - the screen that the desktop runs on. I've heard this is true for PS also - only the primary display is truly color-managed. Hopefully someone with more direct experience can chime in...
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Josh-H

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 11:20:47 pm »

I don't know the answer to this, but from what I know, Lightroom is not dual-monitor aware. That is, color management through the OS is only enabled on the main display - the screen that the desktop runs on. I've heard this is true for PS also - only the primary display is truly color-managed. Hopefully someone with more direct experience can chime in...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much for your help.

Ive found a few forum posts that say the same thing. LR is not dual monitor aware - which makes it difficult when you want to work from a laptop with an attached monitor.
PS seems to be 2nd monitor aware as it definately picks up the new profile when dragged to a 2nd monitor.

looks like I will have to buy a desktop to use LR on my main external monitor.

what a PITA.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »

Ive found a few forum posts that say the same thing. LR is not dual monitor aware - which makes it difficult when you want to work from a laptop with an attached monitor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you running Mac or PC? Pretty sure Lightroom (as well as Photoshop) are both multiple display capable if and only if the OS allows it. In the case of Mac, that's pretty much automatic. In the case of PC, that depends entirely on the video card. A single head vid card on PC will NOT be able to be used but a dual head will or two vid cards...

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 06:28:47 pm »

Are you running Mac or PC? Pretty sure Lightroom (as well as Photoshop) are both multiple display capable if and only if the OS allows it. In the case of Mac, that's pretty much automatic. In the case of PC, that depends entirely on the video card. A single head vid card on PC will NOT be able to be used but a dual head will or two vid cards...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PC with Vista ultimate on a laptop with a high end Nvidia Quadro FXGO2500 512mb video card with DVI output for the external monitor.

From what I have seen I dont beleive LR can deal with an external  monitor plugged into a laptop that has a seperate profile of its own. At least I cant get it to recognise the profile when I drag LR onto the external monitor and there does not appear to be any way in LR to force it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:56:10 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up