Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7880 vs. Canon iPF6100  (Read 2989 times)

kstraus

Epson 7880 vs. Canon iPF6100
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:58:41 pm »

I hope someone can give me a little guidance on purchasing a wide format inkjet printer. I am a photographer and artist and I am debating between the Epson 7880 and the Canon iPF6100. My goal is to print fine art photographic prints and digital art plus large format color and B&W portraits. Up to this point, I have been using an Epson 2200 (primarily for proofing) and using an outside service bureau for large prints.

I was pretty much set on the Epson 7880, particularly since I have been happy with Epson products over the years. Then I reviewed the specs on Epson and the newest Canon models and I now am in a quandary over which manufacturer will provide the best print quality and least potential problems. I’m a little concerned about the clogging issues that I have read about with some Epson printers.

My print output will strictly be large format photographic prints and fine art prints for sale... quality, not quantity is the issue. The cost of consumables is also a concern. Usage will be low volume and output speed is not a major issue.

Can someone there give me some advice as to which printer would be the better choice?

John Hollenberg

Epson 7880 vs. Canon iPF6100
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:46:17 pm »

There are too many variables to suggest which printer will be best for you.  It really depends on your needs.  The main concerns with the Epson are clogging (encountered by some, not by others) and the cost of switching black inks if you print both PK and MK.  For the Canon, there is a steeper learning curve for those accustomed to Epson printers, problems with prompt service reported in some countries, questions about longevity of prints with little data published (and none for the iPF6100 ink set).  You may want to peruse the Canon iPF Printer Wiki:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com

There are some FAQ topics that attempt to address the differences.

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up