Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture & Nikon D300 Raw  (Read 19113 times)

daleeman

• http://
Aperture & Nikon D300 Raw
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:31:33 am »

My D300 came the week after Thanksgiving and I really enjoy the innovations and the resolution increase over my tired and well worn D100. Presently I can not get Aperture to see the D300 Raw files. I did what I thought to be the latest upgrades and it is not working with the D300 Raw files. Has anyone had success with this issue?

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:12:45 pm »

My D300 came the week after Thanksgiving and I really enjoy the innovations and the resolution increase over my tired and well worn D100. Presently I can not get Aperture to see the D300 Raw files. I did what I thought to be the latest upgrades and it is not working with the D300 Raw files. Has anyone had success with this issue?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have Aperture, but I have read that currently they do not have anything in place to handle the new NEF files from the D3 or D300. It will be coming, but when is the big question. On the otherhand Lightroom was able to handle the new NEF's when the cameras started to ship
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Roy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:17:04 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Support for raw files on the Mac is built into the OS, and that is what Apple applications rely on. (Lightroom and Photoshop use Camera Raw and do not rely on OSX for raw conversion.)

Built-in OS raw file support is handy in many ways, for example, even basic applications such as iPhoto and Preview can open raw files, but it means that support for new raw file formats only comes with OS upgrades. It also means that to have ongoing support for new cameras, a user must stay up to date with OS upgrades. You will probably see support for the D300 in release 10.5.2 of the OS which is rumoured to be immanent. It is unlikely that there will be an upgrade to Tiger (OS 10.4) to support new raw files.

The current raw file support status is at:
[a href=\"http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/cameras.html]http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/cameras.html[/url]
Roy

Krug

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:59:20 am »

Support for raw files on the Mac is built into the OS, and that is what Apple applications rely on. (Lightroom and Photoshop use Camera Raw and do not rely on OSX for raw conversion.)

Built-in OS raw file support is handy in many ways, for example, even basic applications such as iPhoto and Preview can open raw files, but it means that support for new raw file formats only comes with OS upgrades. It also means that to have ongoing support for new cameras, a user must stay up to date with OS upgrades. You will probably see support for the D300 in release 10.5.2 of the OS which is rumoured to be immanent. It is unlikely that there will be an upgrade to Tiger (OS 10.4) to support new raw files.

The current raw file support status is at:
http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/cameras.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Our Nikon friends are not alone with this problem it also applies to a number of other quite important cameras.
I recently went to the Aperture Users' Professional Network (on the basis that with a name like that it might have some influence with the appropriate Product Managers at Apple) to complain that my G9,  Sony A700 (so as to use years of accumulated Minolta glass), and 1DsIII were not supported and pointing out that Adobe supported each of them BEFORE public release.

I was initially greeted by an intemperate rant that one should not buy a new model until Apple were prepared to support it which they would do when they were good and ready ! - and in any case nobody really needed RAW as he made his living without it !!!
 Subsequent and rather more polite, intelligent and better informed responses took the line of 'explaining' the problem of Apple's architecture needing a major OS update to enable new support.

The first response does not deserve to be dignified by a resonse.
However the second rather misses the point in my view. Even Apple with all their success and advantages needs to acknowledge the real - and competitive - world and if necessary adjust to it.
Do I remember a business adage that being second means you need to try harder? And whatever the position of other Apple products Aperture, whilst it may be best in some minds, is definitely not first in its specific market.
However much we love many of their products and offerings sentiment has its limits - even if one crosses them reluctantly!

With such reluctance I have just bought Lightroom- and a couple of lightroom instructional books.
I have no wish whatsoever to spend more time with the computer learning an 'ambidextrous' workflow but for a time I will have to do that - but how long until frustration and practicality lead to changing over to a single non-Aperture system ?

I know that in myself I am totally insignificant in calculations at Apple - but I wonder how many others have similar feelings and how loudly they are prepared to voice them? Because I am sure that the best way not to get any change is to say nothing and just wait patiently - I am also certain that does not serve well the best long term interests of Apple itself.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

GregW

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:58 pm »

I have quite a lot of sympathy with your point of view.  There are many advantages to integrating peripherals in to the OS if you can keep up-to date.  The issue comes when either due to a decision or lack of resources you are not able to keep up with demand.  

One example of this was a couple of years ago when Apple simply refused to support the Nokia 6230(i).  At the time it was the most common/popular business phone from Nokia in Europe.  What followed was a concerted campaign including the support of Nokia.  By the time Apple relented the phone had been superseded!

Good luck with Lightroom.  I bought Aperture 1.0 but shortly after Lightroom was released in beta I started testing it extensively and eventually migrated to the production release.  I've been very happy with the transition.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:53:09 pm by GregW »

daleeman

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »

I have to thank you two for opening my eyes to the idea that if you are # 2 you just relax and not support the masses. Last years release is just that, last years release and we should be proud to bow and kiss the feet of those that gave us the release last year.

I do not feel I am up to buying lightroom, I imagine Adobe believes its feet need kissed too. My CS2 will not open the raw files and I expect a firwarer update in the D300 might make CS3 useless too.

Certainly glad I enjoy using my film cameras even today. I have never had to reboot my Leica M2 or my SLR cameras. I've started to find a string of new clients who opt for a traditionaly photographed weddings or portraits. I've been trying to sell some on the idea of 1000 year photographs, (Platinum Prints) but that has not yet materialized.

I will not give up on the D300 issue, but will live within the bounds of partially working software.  I do wish I had an email address for the product manager at Apple for Aperture. I imagine we could hunt up some support for a mass emailing to him/her from other camera owners.

I have quite a lot of sympathy with your point of view.  There are many advantages to integrating peripherals in to the OS if you can keep up-to date.  The issue comes when either due to a decision or lack of resources you are not able to keep up with demand. 

One example of this was a couple of years ago when Apple simply refused to support the Nokia 6230(i).  At the time it was the most common/popular business phone from Nokia in Europe.  What followed was a concerted campaign including the support of Nokia.  By the time Apple relented the phone had been superseded!

Good luck with Lightroom.  I bought Aperture 1.0 but shortly after Lightroom was released in beta I started testing it extensively and eventually migrated to the production release.  I've been very happy with the transition.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Roy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:43:01 am »

I will not give up on the D300 issue, but will live within the bounds of partially working software.  I do wish I had an email address for the product manager at Apple for Aperture. I imagine we could hunt up some support for a mass emailing to him/her from other camera owners.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you want to give some general feedback, go to:
[a href=\"http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html]http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html[/url]

Or get on the phone and ask to speak to Joe Schorr, Apple's Aperture Product Manager.
Roy

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 01:00:44 pm »

The rumor mill suggests an update to OS-X in January to coincide with Macworld Expo (starts 15th Jan). There is nothing that I've seen in any of the rumors to confirm any additional RAW formats - but then there's no confirmation about the rumors either!

I'm getting fed up waiting now and am seriously considering migrating to Lightroom. I had to wait for months after purchasing an M8, and it appalls me that Adobe can provide support so quickly yet Apple seem unable to respond. If the Lightroom interface and dual monitor support was as good as Aperture I'd have switched by now...
Pete Truman

plawrence

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »

The rumor mill suggests an update to OS-X in January to coincide with Macworld Expo (starts 15th Jan). There is nothing that I've seen in any of the rumors to confirm any additional RAW formats - but then there's no confirmation about the rumors either!

I'm getting fed up waiting now and am seriously considering migrating to Lightroom. I had to wait for months after purchasing an M8, and it appalls me that Adobe can provide support so quickly yet Apple seem unable to respond. If the Lightroom interface and dual monitor support was as good as Aperture I'd have switched by now...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164823\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In fairness to Apple, I do find that Aperture converts my D200 RAW files better than Adobe Lightroom, which is one reason I still prefer Aperture over Lightroom.

BUT...

Apple really needs to be quicker in supporting pro bodies like the D3 if they want Aperture to succeed. Myself, I'm a serious amateur photographer, so while I'm annoyed that my new D300 isn't supported yet on Aperture, my livelihood isn't being impacted.

I know a couple of pro friends who had to make time consuming adjustments to their workflow because their D3 isn't yet supported by Apple.  It's also hurting their learning process of the D3 because they can't easily compare their D3 RAW photographs side-by-side by those taken with their D2Xs bodies (and converted with Aperture).  It's adding needless complications to their established workflows.

Adobe is probably benefiting greatly from Apple's slow response.

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:40:49 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164823\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Seems to be Apple policy to not comment on rumours or announce plans, which is fair enough, but some general statement of intent as regards Aperture support for significant Nikon cameras would be comforting to those of us who are starting to question Apple's long term support for this area of business.

I've downloaded a LR trial, and while I'm not over-enamoured of it, if Aperture doesn't support my D300 NEF files by the time the demo license expires, I'll likely buy it and bin Aperture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up