Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting RAW Images from Canon G9  (Read 9264 times)

sanking

Converting RAW Images from Canon G9
« on: December 25, 2007, 02:07:45 pm »

Hello,

I have a new Canon G9 and am using it to make RAW images. From the Adobe website I downloaded the Photoshop plugin that allows me to open the RAW files with Photoshop CS3. I can open the files, but they open in 8 bit, not 16 bit. I was told that they should open in 16 bit but I am unable to find a way to make this happen. Can someone tell me how to open the files directly in Photoshop as 16 bit.

I have been able to process the RAW images using Canon's ImageBrowser software that was provided with the G9 but if possible I would like to do this directly in Photoshop if possible.

Thanks for any advice or information on this.

Sandy King

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 02:25:20 pm »

At the bottom of the camera raw window there is a line that says something like "Adobe RGB (1998); 8 bit; 3888 by 2592 (10.1MP); 240 ppi".

Click that line.  Change it to 16 bit.

sanking

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:53:34 pm »

At the bottom of the camera raw window there is a line that says something like "Adobe RGB (1998); 8 bit; 3888 by 2592 (10.1MP); 240 ppi".

Click that line.  Change it to 16 bit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How neat. Thanks so much.

BTW, has anyone done a good comparison of using Canon's Image Browser versus the Photoshop plugin to open Canon G9 RAW files. I opened the same file with both and the two images look pretty different to me, especially as regards noise where the ImageBrowser file appear to have a lot less noise.

Sandy King
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:02:52 pm by sanking »

DarkPenguin

sniper

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 05:20:31 pm »

I have heard claims that Canons DPP produces a better conversion because it's designed for that one format by Canon rather than lots of different formats like Photoshop, I haven't personally tested it though.  Wayne

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 05:52:38 pm »

How neat. Thanks so much.

BTW, has anyone done a good comparison of using Canon's Image Browser versus the Photoshop plugin to open Canon G9 RAW files. I opened the same file with both and the two images look pretty different to me, especially as regards noise where the ImageBrowser file appear to have a lot less noise.

Sandy King
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you just leaving both programs at their default settings? You should be able to make excellent raw conversions from both ACR and the Canon program, with very little difference between them. It may take some effort with the Details window in ACR, and with the color and exposure controls.

I would highly recommend the book Real World Camera RAW, for your version of Photoshop. It explains the controls and the theory behind them. Very useful book.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

sanking

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 06:04:02 pm »

Are you just leaving both programs at their default settings? You should be able to make excellent raw conversions from both ACR and the Canon program, with very little difference between them. It may take some effort with the Details window in ACR, and with the color and exposure controls.

I would highly recommend the book Real World Camera RAW, for your version of Photoshop. It explains the controls and the theory behind them. Very useful book.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I am leaving both programs at their default settings. I am very experienced at scanning and working with digital files, but totally new at working with RAW camera files , so appreciate all of the advice about setting and additional literature.

Sandy King

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 06:32:32 pm »

I have heard claims that Canons DPP produces a better conversion because it's designed for that one format by Canon rather than lots of different formats like Photoshop, I haven't personally tested it though.  Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The G9 doesn't come with DPP.  It has a horrible little application instead.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 06:35:27 pm »

Yes, I am leaving both programs at their default settings. I am very experienced at scanning and working with digital files, but totally new at working with RAW camera files , so appreciate all of the advice about setting and additional literature.

Sandy King
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Real World Camera RAW would be a good book to get.  There is also Tapes RAW without FUD over at rawworkflow.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up