Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800/moab dbl sided matt  (Read 3869 times)

augg

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:07:55 am »

I just bought an epson 3800 and a bunch of moab double sided matt paper which is scored and drilled, from Lost Luggage. I don't normally print anything more than contact sheets on my r800.
My question is, what do I need to do to get the best prints with this combination? My monitor has been profiled with an eye one display but that's about it. Do I need to install printer/paper profiles for the moab paper? I am NOT printer savvy at all and any help greatly appreciated. A simple 'how to' set up for newbies would be ideal!

thanks,
dan

Geoff Wittig

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:57:39 am »

I just bought an epson 3800 and a bunch of moab double sided matt paper which is scored and drilled, from Lost Luggage. I don't normally print anything more than contact sheets on my r800.
My question is, what do I need to do to get the best prints with this combination? My monitor has been profiled with an eye one display but that's about it. Do I need to install printer/paper profiles for the moab paper? I am NOT printer savvy at all and any help greatly appreciated. A simple 'how to' set up for newbies would be ideal!

thanks,
dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Having your monitor profiled is a good start. Next I would practice on some cheap paper to get the hang of the printer driver's settings, like maybe Epson enhanced matte, using the appropriate profile. Once you're getting consistently predictable results, then you can take a shot at your expensive art papers. And yes, unless you have a custom profile made (or make your own) you'll want to download the paper company's profile. These can vary in quality from quite good to worthless.

augg

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 01:10:02 pm »

Thanks Geoff,

Does anyone have actual experience with the dbl sided 11x14" moab paper from Lost Luggage?

dan

" And yes, unless you have a custom profile made (or make your own) you'll want to download the paper company's profile. These can vary in quality from quite good to worthless.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

rdonson

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:00:49 am »

Dan,

Check the Moab website.  They don't make a generic double sided matte paper. See if you can figure out which Moab paper you actually got.  I have used the double sided Entrada and its a very good paper.  Their profiles are adequate but if you're looking for higher quality you'll need a custom profile.
Regards,
Ron

augg

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:29:57 pm »

It is the Moab Entrada paper. My first print from the new epson 3800 using epson enhanced matte paper is off color. The apple 23" lcd monitor, calibrated with an eye one, is much warmer than the print. Same print using moab sntrada is the same. What am I doing wrong? Should I trycalibrating the monitor again?

dan

Dan,

Check the Moab website.  They don't make a generic double sided matte paper. See if you can figure out which Moab paper you actually got.  I have used the double sided Entrada and its a very good paper.  Their profiles are adequate but if you're looking for higher quality you'll need a custom profile.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mmurph

• http://
3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:47:40 pm »

Dan,

Your monitor is probably OK if it was calibrated correctly. I would not worry about that right now.

What you need to do is to set up Photoshop correctly to use the specific profile for your paper. I don't have instructions handy, but this is pretty well documented on many sites.

Here is a link to an article by Andrew Rodney - at www.digitaldog.com - on how to use ICC profiles. He hangs out here, so he or someone else can assist if you don't understand part of the article:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/ProfileReadme.pdf

You have to set up the Epson driver to do no color management. Then you need to tell Photoshop - in the "Print With Preview" dialog box - which ICC profile to use.

I am doing the same thing as you. I just bought some Moab Entrada from Lost Luggage for my portfolio. It has not arrived yet, but I also have some regular (not pre-scored or drilled) Entrada that I bought elsewhere.

I printed on it yesterday using the profile from Moab. The prints look great, nice and neutral. I like the surface a lot too, it looks like a great paper.

To get set up, do your tests using another - cheaper - paper! Like the Epson Enhanced Matte.  Go through all of the setup steps, select the profile for that paper, etc. until you get the results you expect. Then you can make a few tweaks - substitute the correct profile and change teh paper setting if needed -  to get going with the Entada.

You should also look at the techniques to do "Soft Proofs" using the same profile.  It is all a little confusing at first, but once you get it nailed down the results are well worth it!

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Soft%20Pro...20Photoshop.pdf

Good luck.  Go slowly, ask questions, you should have no problem.  You have a great printer, the paper is good, it will all work out!

augg

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:54:00 am »

Thanks mmurph,

I'll start there. It is a little daunting!

dan

Dan,

Your monitor is probably OK if it was calibrated correctly. I would not worry about that right now.

What you need to do is to set up Photoshop correctly to use the specific profile for your paper. I don't have instructions handy, but this is pretty well documented on many sites.

Here is a link to an article by Andrew Rodney - at www.digitaldog.com - on how to use ICC profiles. He hangs out here, so he or someone else can assist if you don't understand part of the article:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/ProfileReadme.pdf

You have to set up the Epson driver to do no color management. Then you need to tell Photoshop - in the "Print With Preview" dialog box - which ICC profile to use.

I am doing the same thing as you. I just bought some Moab Entrada from Lost Luggage for my portfolio. It has not arrived yet, but I also have some regular (not pre-scored or drilled) Entrada that I bought elsewhere.

I printed on it yesterday using the profile from Moab. The prints look great, nice and neutral. I like the surface a lot too, it looks like a great paper.

To get set up, do your tests using another - cheaper - paper! Like the Epson Enhanced Matte.  Go through all of the setup steps, select the profile for that paper, etc. until you get the results you expect. Then you can make a few tweaks - substitute the correct profile and change teh paper setting if needed -  to get going with the Entada.

You should also look at the techniques to do "Soft Proofs" using the same profile.  It is all a little confusing at first, but once you get it nailed down the results are well worth it!

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Soft%20Pro...20Photoshop.pdf

Good luck.  Go slowly, ask questions, you should have no problem.  You have a great printer, the paper is good, it will all work out!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rdonson

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:58:53 pm »

Thanks mmurph,

I'll start there. It is a little daunting!

dan
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ian Lyons has also provided some very clear tutorials on that might help you.

[a href=\"http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_colour/ps10_1.htm]Color Management[/url]

Printing with Epson drivers
Regards,
Ron

augg

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:32:23 am »

Ron,

Thanks for that great link. Looks a little more like the 'step by step' that I need.

dan

Ian Lyons has also provided some very clear tutorials on that might help you.

Color Management

Printing with Epson drivers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

a_krause

3800/moab dbl sided matt
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 12:25:50 pm »

its moab entrada that you have and its pretty much the only paper i print on, so i would like to think i have some experience with it. if you got the scored paper from lost luggage and dont wanna waist it, why dont you go and get some of the same paper unscored to practice on? i think they disconinued kokepelli [sp] but thats a really similar paper that they would suggest for proofing [and a lot cheaper],  it can still be found here and there [atleast in NYC].

For Entrada I soft proof with the perceptual colorspace, i find it gives me a better softproof then when in relative colormetric. The paper wants to go warm [which i like] but still needs to be corrected for, which i do via curves or colorbalance by taking out a few points of reds and yellows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up