Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your trusted DVD/CD Backup Media?  (Read 30933 times)

Johnny V

What's your trusted DVD/CD Backup Media?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 12:36:45 pm »

My Dell laptop sports a Sony DW-Q58A DVD burner.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray,

Your firmware could be out of date with the Dell/Sony burner. Could be the reason for the bad burns...the new optical disks could be foreign to the burner and will guess at a burn strategy.

Go to the middle of the below page and find Sony DW-Q58A Dell firmware update...looks like it's version UDS2 for the Dell. Check it against your Dell/Sony burner. Also at the below link you have the option to use the Sony firmware update UYS4...I'm going to guess that's the latest update but Dell didn't update on their end.

[a href=\"http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=14&manufactor=30]http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?cate...4&manufactor=30[/url]

> They were 8x Maxell discs manufactured by Ritek.

Ritek is one of the worst medias...stick to Verbatim media that are made in Japan/Taiwan.

Last year I was on vacation and at the end of my trip I had over 2000 images that I downloaded to my sister's 5 year-old Dell computer ready to burn to DVD to take home with me. Of course I reformatted all my CF cards ( I learned my lesson). I purchased Sony DVD+ media, no Verbatim at Staples, but could not get a readable burn. The disk would burn but disk would speedup and down the whole burn process and when I tried to read it the Dell would take about ten minutes to open it and would take another ten minutes to open one file. To make a long story short Dell did not have a firmware update for the burner, so I searched all over the internet and found a third party firmware update and was able to burn the Sony DVDs fast and reliably.

Best,

John V
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:38:13 pm by Johnny V »

Ray

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 02:51:36 am »

Go to the middle of the below page and find Sony DW-Q58A Dell firmware update...looks like it's version UDS2 for the Dell. Check it against your Dell/Sony burner. Also at the below link you have the option to use the Sony firmware update UYS4...I'm going to guess that's the latest update but Dell didn't update on their end.

John,
Thanks for the advice. I tried UYS2-4 and none of them matched the Sony DW-Q58A UDS2. Also checked the Dell service centre and found no firmware updates for the DVD burner.

This whole issue of optical media reliability seems to me to be confused by general software/hardware incompatibility and lack of perfect quality control of disc manufacture.

Nothing's perfect. It may well be the case if one buys only Verbatim discs that one will get fewer rejects. I suppose on average maybe 2-3% of all the discs I've bought over the years have turned out to be rejects at the recording stage for one reason or another. Is it worth paying perhaps double and triple the price to reduce that figure to, say 0.5%.

My experience has been, once a disc is successfully recorded it remains successfully recorded. The ones that contain errors don't seem to get worse with the passage of time (although I admit I have only one example of a faulty recording that I've kept for a number of years).

An issue which I think would be useful to focus on is the reliability of software verification procedures. Verifying the recording immediately after burning can take almost as long as the burning process. It's something that sometimes, when one is in a hurry, one might neglect to do. I wonder if anyone has had the experience of burning a disc and verifying it successfully only to find that the disc is unreadable a few days later (or a few weeks or months if you like).

I think it's a reasonable assumption that something that's designed to last 20, 30 or 50 years is not going to chemically destruct in a few weeks or even a year or two, provided it's stored and handled properly.

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »

Talking about recording and backup...

I'd like to know if every recorded disk is issued some sort of ID which could be retrieved later. For instance, when I deliver a CD to a very slick client, I could have a receipt for "CD ID#78908901723829A", instead of a signed receipt for "a CD".

Reason being, to prove that a CD which went to wrong hands, went to wrong hands from their own hand, not mine.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up