Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battle of the Barytas - Pricing Discussion  (Read 3231 times)

hbb

Battle of the Barytas - Pricing Discussion
« on: December 22, 2007, 11:26:46 am »

Michael,

first of all thanks for the very interesting review of the Baryta papers. I am using the Hahnemühle and the Harman myself since two weeks on a Epson 3800 and came to a quite similar feeling without having the capability to measure gamuts, DMax etc.

I would like to comment on one of your criteria. From my point of view, pricing is very hard to consider on a global basis. The prices of the three papers at one of leading German retailers (www.monochrom.de) are in this moment (including 19% VAT):

Hahnemühle Baryta 20 Sheets of 13x19" = € 94,00
€ 4,07 / sheet

Harman Gloss FB Al 15 Sheets pf 13x19" = € 58,00
€ 3,87 per sheet

Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk 50 Sheets of 1x19" = € 118,00
€ 2,36 per sheet

There are two observations on these prices:

1) In Germany the Hahnemühle paper is most expensive one. Hmm, it is manufactured around 150 km from the location of the above mentioned retailer, that might be the reason ;-).

2) All papers are much more expensive in Germany. If you compare the prices without VAT on the current exchange rate to the US $ (I assume you have used this and not the CAN $), it's around 30 % more. Again, all these papers are manufactured in Europe, they seem to drop some value while flying over the Atlantic Ocean ;-).

BTW: If you want to buy a 1Ds III in Europe, you can fly Business Class to New York and buy at B+H, that's cheaper.

My major question based on these observations is if pricing in one country is a solid criteria for a product review on a global website?

What do you think?

Best Regards

Bernd

michael

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:06 am »

Your point is well taken. But.

The reality is that 65% of this site's readers are from the US, and so US pricing is highly revenant. Secondly, many people from other countries buy from US vendors, again increasing the relevance.

Finally, with readers in some 130 countries it would be impossible for me to sample pricing in even a handful of countries, and so I don't. I assume that anyone that's interested in a product which I mention or review will take the few minutes required to check with local dealers to see what their pricing and availability might be.

Michael

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:23:18 pm »

Hooray - looks like the paper manufacturers have come to Epson's rescue.

A very affordable printer like the R2400 would now seem to be sensible for low-volume printing as we now don't need to worry about the matte black issue.

A box of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and away we go.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:24:22 pm by peripatetic »

Roberto Costa Pinto

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 06:33:21 am »

A very affordable printer like the R2400 would now seem to be sensible for low-volume printing as we now don't need to worry about the matte black issue.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hy everyone,
This is my first post, but, for a long time, I learn a lot with all of you, and especially with Michael. My especial thanks for him.
I agree with you.
I have a Epson 7800 and unfortunately resisted to use a matte paper because of the  waste of ink (that is very expensive here in Brazil and made the change of ink cartrige not economically viable), Now I am very interested in this new papers. I will try to find one of them here and, as son as it becomes available, I will try it.
Congratulations,
Roberto.
PS. Forgive any mistake. I'm not a native English speaker.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 07:06:57 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That may be the case - cetainly as the glossy papers have improved in feel I have started using them more and I also started to consider the 7880 as a possible contender when I get a 24 inch printer, whihc to date hasn't been the case!

A bit easier for me also as my main use for matte paper is for book printing which I tend not to exceed A3 or A3 plus that my 5000 is perfectly able to manage

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up