Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR burned jpegs.... How to import automatically  (Read 4017 times)

Peter F

LR burned jpegs.... How to import automatically
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:33:08 am »

I like the way photos in LR can be edited in PSE5.0 and will "pop" back into the LR library.  

But I don't like it that I can't do the same with LR burned Jpegs.  I have exported/burned a number of jpegs for uploading to zenfolio or buying prints online.  But I find I have to manage my growing list of LR-burned jpegs through Windows Explorer, or manually re-import to LR which is a pain.

Any way to burn them and have them "pop" right back into the LR library?

Peter F.

thebatman

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 02:31:02 pm »

I would love to see a solution to this, as well.  Currently I burn my jpgs from LR, then right click the folder and "synchronize" to pull the jpgs back into LR, but there must be a better way!

seanmcfoto

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 01:38:37 am »

Do you mean the file from the CD/DVD or in the burn folder on the drive?
On the drive, you could select the watch folder as the export folder, but not sure about how to do the CD/DVD import automatically.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

Peter F

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:08:59 am »

Sean:  After editing in LR I will burn jpegs (export) to create a file that I can use for printing (via snapfish, etc.) or uploading to zenfolio.  In actuality I mean the finished edited LR image gets exported to the harddrive as a jpeg and from the hard drive I can uplaod to Zenfolio or email to Snapfish. There is no CD involved, I am using the "burned" term because that seems to be what LR wants to call the process of creating a jpeg finished copy that is usable.

The problem is that I can't figure how to bring the jpeg image back into lightroom where I can keep track of it in the Library... short of importing them which seems a big cumbersome.  This leaves me with Windows Explorer as the means of managing/finding these "burned" jpegs.

I wish a thumbnail of the exported (from LR) jpeg copy would be created in LR... just the way a PSD thumbnail is created when exporting to photoshop.

Thanks.

Peter F.

seanmcfoto

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:17:23 pm »

Okay, there's 2 ways to get exported files in.
The first is as mentioned. Export to a folder that is watched by Lightroom's Auto Import function,
The second is to add a shortcut to Lightroom itself in the Export Actions folder and choose this as your Post Processing command.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

Peter F

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 08:11:02 pm »

Any hints as to how to create this shortcut.  Can't quite figure anything out from the help screen, and Scott Kelby's book isn't helping me out either.  The watched folder is not the way to go for me, as I like the keep the LR-burned jpegs in the same folders as the original image.

Thanks for any direction to Internet sites or whatever.

Peter F.

Okay, there's 2 ways to get exported files in.
The first is as mentioned. Export to a folder that is watched by Lightroom's Auto Import function,
The second is to add a shortcut to Lightroom itself in the Export Actions folder and choose this as your Post Processing command.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:31:54 pm »

Any hints as to how to create this shortcut.  Can't quite figure anything out from the help screen, and Scott Kelby's book isn't helping me out either.  The watched folder is not the way to go for me, as I like the keep the LR-burned jpegs in the same folders as the original image.

Thanks for any direction to Internet sites or whatever.

Peter F.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nothing to it. You have a shortcut to LR on your desktop, right? Right click on it and choose Copy.

Go into the LR library, select a photo and hit Export to bring up the dialog box. At the bottom, click the drop-down list for After Export: and choose Go to Export Actions Folder Now. This will open an Explorer window with the Export Actions folder highlighted. Right-click on the folder and select Paste Shortcut. Close the Explorer window, go back to the After Export dialog drop-down and you should now see Lightroom as a choice. Click on it and you're done!

Now when you export a jpeg, the Import dialog box will open. You'll have to uncheck the Don't re-import suspected duplicates item if you export the jpegs under the same filename as the raw files.

Now a question for you: Why keep the jpegs and put them in the catalog? Unless you're doing additional PP on them, it's easy enough to just export them again if you need to and you don't have a bunch of duplicate files cluttering up the Library and your hard drive. Just a suggestion.....

HTH,

Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

Peter F

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:30 pm »

Bill,

Thanks for the information!  I never would have figured it out.

Burned jpegs?  Well,... I guess I never thought much about there being an other way.  I have been burning jpegs for each variation of an image.  I guess there is no reason to do it that way.  Would you suggest that burned jpegs just be simply filed in a "Lightroom Burned Jpeg" file to be deleted sometime in the future after being used, and that I instead learn to use the "Snapshot" feature in LR to maintain my different variations??

Thanks.

Peter F.

Nothing to it. You have a shortcut to LR on your desktop, right? Right click on it and choose Copy.

Go into the LR library, select a photo and hit Export to bring up the dialog box. At the bottom, click the drop-down list for After Export: and choose Go to Export Actions Folder Now. This will open an Explorer window with the Export Actions folder highlighted. Right-click on the folder and select Paste Shortcut. Close the Explorer window, go back to the After Export dialog drop-down and you should now see Lightroom as a choice. Click on it and you're done!

Now when you export a jpeg, the Import dialog box will open. You'll have to uncheck the Don't re-import suspected duplicates item if you export the jpegs under the same filename as the raw files.

Now a question for you: Why keep the jpegs and put them in the catalog? Unless you're doing additional PP on them, it's easy enough to just export them again if you need to and you don't have a bunch of duplicate files cluttering up the Library and your hard drive. Just a suggestion.....

HTH,

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:37:44 pm by Peter F »

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 07:35:04 pm »

Personally, I use Virtual Copy if I want to do something fifferent with a file that I already have processed, i.e., a black and white conversion, a different crop, or just to try something different on a file I already have PP'd to suit. I guess Snapshots would work just as well, I like being able to see the different versions in the Library which you can't do with snapshots. If something doesn't work out with the new version, I can just delete it. I usually stack the versions just to conserve screen space unless the new version is radically different or I just plain like it enough I feel it deserves its own thumbnail.

I don't send out prints so about the only use I have for jpegs is for the Web, so I have a folder named "Web Export" where I place all the LR exports. It's not in the LR catalog since I already have the original file cataloged. Periodically, I'll just go into it and delete everything. As easy as it is to export jpegs from LR, they're pretty much a disposable commodity.

If you're sending off jpeg's for printing, you might want to hold on to them until you get your prints back and are satisfied with them. Otherwise, I see no need to keep them around.

HTH,

Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

An alternative - put the exported files into the same folder as the originals (in a subfolder is OK). Then, immediately after any Export (including burning, or whatever), Synchronize the folder.

This operation has changed the way I view my file organization. I used to put derivative files in all sorts of external directories, away from the originals. I had separate folders for dng, psd, flat tif, etc. This was hard to manage.

With my current Lightroom workflow, I'm much more content keeping all derivatives in the same directory as the originals, even if they need to be in subfolders. And I like to stack them.

This way, using Synchronize, I can always see my masters and derivatives in one source.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Peter F

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:56:44 am »

Bill... Thanks for the tip on Virtual Copy.  It is something Scott Kelby wrote about in the book I have.  He especially likes it for creating a B&W version to see how it looks.  I tried out a bit of VC last night and like it, and I also tried the Snapshot and like that too.  Am still interested in perhaps bringing the LR burned jpegs back into the LR library, so will continue to evaluate my workflow and figure out what I like best. I don't know anything about sync, so Nat's comments sound interesting too. I am a rank amateur who at this time only shoots jpegs and perhaps 2000 images a year... some would wonder why I bother with LR.  But I LOVE it.  The crop tool, vibrance, clarity and recovery tools alone are with the price of admission (which was admittedly a bargain on the educators discount - price US$99)

Personally, I use Virtual Copy if I want to do something fifferent with a file that I already have processed, i.e., a black and white conversion, a different crop, or just to try something different on a file I already have PP'd to suit. I guess Snapshots would work just as well, I like being able to see the different versions in the Library which you can't do with snapshots. If something doesn't work out with the new version, I can just delete it. I usually stack the versions just to conserve screen space unless the new version is radically different or I just plain like it enough I feel it deserves its own thumbnail.

I don't send out prints so about the only use I have for jpegs is for the Web, so I have a folder named "Web Export" where I place all the LR exports. It's not in the LR catalog since I already have the original file cataloged. Periodically, I'll just go into it and delete everything. As easy as it is to export jpegs from LR, they're pretty much a disposable commodity.

If you're sending off jpeg's for printing, you might want to hold on to them until you get your prints back and are satisfied with them. Otherwise, I see no need to keep them around.

HTH,

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up