Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I like my printer  (Read 9128 times)

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
I like my printer
« on: December 21, 2007, 06:49:08 pm »

I have had my  44 inch z3100 for 5 months now and I am happy with it. I've made an 8 x 30 foot print on hand made paper with it, printed gloss on matte paper for fun, printed black and white glossies, and it delivers great looking prints. Anyone else happy with their machines?

sojournerphoto

I like my printer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:13:02 pm »

I have had my  44 inch z3100 for 5 months now and I am happy with it. I've made an 8 x 30 foot print on hand made paper with it, printed gloss on matte paper for fun, printed black and white glossies, and it delivers great looking prints. Anyone else happy with their machines?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like mine - I send it prints and out they come:) and canon fixed it (roll feed) again today:) IPF5000...

namartinnz

I like my printer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:20 pm »

Very happy with mine - had it since February - Economical  to use and does everything I  want it to do

Neal

John Hollenberg

I like my printer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 12:20:13 am »

Yes, I like my printer very much.  Never misses a beat after working out some of the early kinks.

--John

Ernst Dinkla

I like my printer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 05:07:15 am »

With three subject titles,

I like my printer

9880 Romance Over

Z3100 prints for wedding albums,

among the first five I thought I was at the wrong place.

My Z3100 gets Xmas lighting this weekend, part of the family now.

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

walter.sk

I like my printer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:37:50 am »

I've been using my Z3100ps 24" since November 1, 2007.  While I still feel it has an awkward, redundant driver with arbitrary complications (such as having to call the width the length when using a paper size such as 16x24), Qimage has come to my rescue, and I am beginning to feel that I have some control over the printer.

I love the ease of profiling and calibrating anything I throw at the printer, and I am very pleased with the results.  I have printed up to 24x36, as well as a 60x12 panorama.  I am really surprised at how neutral the grays are, compared to what I have seen on other printers.  I also have not experienced problems with banding, roller marks, pizza-wheel tracks, etc.  I am happy with my choice.

A few thoughts for improvement on future models, I guess, although I would buy a redesigned sheet-paper loader if HP came out with one:  

1) Why on earth, other than cosmetics and ease of storage, is there no elevated ridge along the right side of the sheet loader, which would simplify the alignment of paper to avoid skew?

2)  How about a clear explanation of how to use the APS profile editor?  I'm not clear on what HP means by the "direction" in using the editor.  Also, the split-image preview is not as easy to use and accurate as a two-window preview to judge the results on the whole image.  In addition, inclusion of something more objective, such as some swatches, or even a GreytagMacbeth Color Checker, as well as an info pallet, would be more useful than just a photographic image.

3)  How about making the technical papers on the HP website easier to find, and update them faster so as to reflect the current version of the driver and software?  This is particularly important in terms of working with non-HP papers.  It seems to me there could be less trial-and-error in choosing a paper type.

4)  It seems somewhat tacky to throw in half-full cartridges in a $4500-plus printer.

All of these issues aside, this printer certainly gives the competition a real run for their money, and I am impressed with the results.

ARD

• http://
I like my printer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:16:02 am »

8 x 30 foot print!

What was the photo of    

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
I like my printer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 12:06:24 pm »

8 x 30 foot print!

What was the photo of   
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

- It was a landscape of a wintery Ontario farm field, where my girlfriend grew up. Printed on multiple 2 x 2 foot sheets of hand made paper, coated with Ink Aid. Actually she put the Ink Aid on the drying surface first, then laid the paper pulp down on it, so that it wouldn't cause the paper to wrinkle. Worked out very well. It will be on exhibition March 6 at the [a href=\"http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/ARR_OUT_FR/MEDIA/DOCUMENTS/CALENDRIER%20DES%20EXPOSITIONS%20A-H%202007.PDF]Outremont Art Gallery[/url] in Montreal in March. Haven't had the chance to see the image all at once, as I don't have any place big enough to hang it up.

Roscolo

I like my printer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 12:29:30 am »

I have had my  44 inch z3100 for 5 months now and I am happy with it. I've made an 8 x 30 foot print on hand made paper with it, printed gloss on matte paper for fun, printed black and white glossies, and it delivers great looking prints. Anyone else happy with their machines?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the 44" z3100...love it. Good job, HP!

Dan Donovan

I like my printer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 12:50:29 am »

I have a 24" Z3100.  Overall, very happy with it!

Dan

Fred Ragland

I like my printer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 10:36:32 am »

I have the 44" z3100...love it. Good job, HP!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162820\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Me too!

Fred

stevenh

I like my printer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 01:08:41 pm »

24" z3100 : aside from the roller marks using the gloss enhancer which will be fixed soon, i love it.

i agree with the comment about the 1/2 size cartridges, feel that APS should have been included.

the APS is pretty intuitive though a little more "under the hood tweaking" via visual curves (ala photoshop style) without going into the actual profile might be nice. i find that the extra patches in the dark end and the high end to make a good deal of difference in my images. but then i haven't taken the time to poke through any profiles with it.

It might be nice to have an input so the user could tell the color center the length of the roll of paper you started with so one could keep quick track of the length left on the roll as well as the sq. ft used.

best colour i have had in an archival inkjet since i used one of the early iris printers ( btw those early iris prints i made have all faded even on archival paper and protected...)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
I like my printer
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 04:48:26 pm »

I've had my Z3100 44" since July '07 and have been through about 5 rolls of Breathing Color Canvas and several other types.

I love it - it's awesome.

Everything can be improved, but yowee zowee - I'm happy .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:48:48 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
I like my printer
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 03:58:27 am »

I had my z3100 44in for 6 months, hated it, because it couldn't produce the things it should.

Bought an 7880 again and would never want to go back. NEVER
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

rdonson

I like my printer
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 10:27:31 am »

I've got a 24" base Z3100 with APS and its been the right tool for me.  There was some learning curve for me but I'm now confident with the printer and I'm producing images that I find quite satisfying.
Regards,
Ron

felix5616

I like my printer
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 08:39:37 am »

I've got a 24" base Z3100 with APS and its been the right tool for me.  There was some learning curve for me but I'm now confident with the printer and I'm producing images that I find quite satisfying.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i have a 24" Z3100 for 9 months. Very frustrating initially, required several hours of tech support, still has some minor glitches, none of which affets the prints. Produces beautiful prints and is very economical with regards to ink. I do not however like the fact that the sleep mode is giving me trouble. I created an ICC profile yesterday for hahnemhule Baryta and got great results, but despite creating the profile i got error messages stating that the ICC profile could not be created. when I checked the profiles it was there in the custom file and dead on.
I have had 3 epson printers(4800, 7800 and 3800) and all were fine out of the box, but ink hogs.

rdonson

I like my printer
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 11:58:44 am »

I do not however like the fact that the sleep mode is giving me trouble. I created an ICC profile yesterday for hahnemhule Baryta and got great results, but despite creating the profile i got error messages stating that the ICC profile could not be created. when I checked the profiles it was there in the custom file and dead on.
I
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had the same problem.  I posted it here in the forum and someone offered a suggestion that worked like a charm.  Unfortunately I don't remember the solution right now so I'm off to hunt for that thread.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

I like my printer
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 12:04:31 pm »

Found it.  Here's the thread.

For me it turned out to be a problem with my firewall.  My printer is IP connected.  Once I fixed the firewall settings things have been running smoothly.
Regards,
Ron

dkeyes

I like my printer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 01:31:42 pm »

I've had the z3100 44" for about 11 months, once I got over the first few months of constant upgrades to drivers and firmware the printer has worked great. It's done everything it's supposed to do. This is the only printer I've used where I'm able to print a gloss/satin print without gloss differential. It's the main reason I wouldn't buy an Epson or Canon, all other things being somewhat equal.

Now if I could just find a paper similar to HP Pro Satin that works as well I would be even happier. (44" rolls are still defective).

-Doug

scottam

I like my printer
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 12:51:20 am »

I've had my 24" z3100ps gp for almost three months. It replaced an Epson 4000. The Epson went through tons of ink because of constant clogging. The software was tricky to use if you did not stay current. It did produce very good quality prints though. The z3100 is the best printer I ever owned. I had forgotten how reliable and trouble free printers could be. The software is easy to understand and the support I've gotten has been first rate.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up