Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 prints for wedding albums  (Read 5146 times)

Harry Carpenter

Z3100 prints for wedding albums
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:10:51 pm »

Has anyone printed images for a wedding album using the Z3100?
I am considering doing this but I have concerns about the scratch resistance of the prints.
If you have done this, what papers are suitable or is there a method of protecting the print before mounting in the album.
I currently use Kodak satin which gives a lovely but easily damaged finish.
The only other solution I can think of is to use conventional wet process prints for this which seems a bit of a step backwards.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 06:18:34 pm »

I am considering doing this but I have concerns about the scratch resistance of the prints.
If you have done this, what papers are suitable or is there a method of protecting the print before mounting in the album.
The only other solution I can think of is to use conventional wet process prints for this which seems a bit of a step backwards.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've used epson pre K3 inset and ipf5000 lucia inkset on innova smooth cotton and they seem to hold up well. I always dry them first -  and have considered using protective spray - before handbinding into the album. I would hope that HPs inkset was simlarly durable, though you get a matte finish of course.

EvoM

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 02:22:01 am »

I've done some "matted" wedding albums i.e. prints stuck behind mattes that have worked okay. I would like to use the Z3100 prints for "magazine" style albums where the print is trimmed flush with the outside page edges but knowing how easily prints are marked, I can't at the moment.

I think Harry, the only way would be to post coat the prints, spraying them etc so they are not easily marked. I hate how Z3100 prints are easily scratched! Even with the softest cloth I see fine scratches on my HP Satin ID GE prints and oil from finger prints totally ruin them...pretty hard for clients used to picking up small (ra4) prints so "no touching" the print surface is best for us. I've also tried the HP Premium Satin (not ID) and that is slightly better but still has similar problems.
I have a sample of the Kodak Lustre inkjet and thought it would be better but you have the same problems with it too?

Anyway, my prints from the Z3100 are way better that lab (ra4) prints in all respects apart from their fragility!

Evo

pete lucas

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:17:17 am »

I have had major scratching problems with the Z3100 & ID photo satin. HP technical support were useless, suggesting I wear gloves. The supplier of the printer states that the printer/paper are pretty tough & should not scratch that easily. As an experiment I changed the profile to ID gloss and the prints are fine, a lot more scratch resistant. I think too much ink was being laid down with that particular profile for some reason. I am waiting for a replacement printer. Prints should not scratch I would complain to HP.

Good luck.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:36 am »

I have had major scratching problems with the Z3100 & ID photo satin. HP technical support were useless, suggesting I wear gloves. The supplier of the printer states that the printer/paper are pretty tough & should not scratch that easily. As an experiment I changed the profile to ID gloss and the prints are fine, a lot more scratch resistant. I think too much ink was being laid down with that particular profile for some reason. I am waiting for a replacement printer. Prints should not scratch I would complain to HP.

Good luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HP's GE isn't very tough.  It scratches fairly easily in my experience.  I've learned to handle them carefully.
Regards,
Ron

karrphoto

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 01:43:31 pm »

HP's GE isn't very tough.  It scratches fairly easily in my experience.  I've learned to handle them carefully.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After seeing my sample Vision Art book from Jim and crew out in Iowa, I would not ever make a flush or matted album without laminating or spraying my prints first.

Right now I use a pearl/matte lamination from L&B albums (#10 on their site)  Runs $60 for a 24.5x120' Roll.   Granted, you need to buy the laminator as well, but it's well worth the investment to have protected prints.

Oh, I print on Calumet Brilliant MATTE paper.  I tend to think the laminate will stick over time to a smooth surface than say a rough surface like a luster or art paper.

DLS

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:18:12 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know if anything that I've used to date on the z3100 would hold up to that, but the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl and even the new baryta paper are fairly tough. You might want to try a sample pack and see if it's suitable. The baryta is the nicer of the two imo.

The Harman gloss is brutally fragile so you wouldn't even want to try that. It's my favorite paper by far for image quality but you have to be super careful handling it.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:06:49 am »

Yes Hahnemuhle Fa media are in general quite scratch resistant.  Harman is very fragile, for all pigment printers.

I can't say that I found Satin ID to be worse than other Satin papers with HP or other pigments. Pro Satin is definitely more robust perhaps scratches show less but only due to the surface being less shiny.

Gloss Enhancer is very fragile. I love what it does, but have always said it is prone to scratches. More so than gloss without GE.

Coating prints would be the way to go for any abusive handling, that goes for all pigment printers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up