Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking clarity for Monitor choice  (Read 4926 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Seeking clarity for Monitor choice
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:33:36 am »

Hello,

My comfort level is about $1600USD for an accurate monitor.  I have wasted hours this evening trying to find some clear side-by-side review.  I garner for the price there are:

Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
NEC LCD2690WUXi

I gather that the Eizo is higher bit depth, and has calibration software, and that I would need to get the NEC SV option to get their calibration software bundle.  I will attach this to my current Dell Precision M90 laptop (native 1920x1200, DVI out, Nvidia Quadro FX2500M) until I get a new workstation later this year.  I keep the ambient lighting in my office comparatively low.  I have a new i1D2.  

Is there straightforeward buyer's choice information out there?  Has someone compared side-by-side to be able to recommend one of these, or is there a better 3rd option?  I looked online at Prad but the available information didn't enlighten me.   I'd rather just get one with minimum hassle and not become a monitor expert in the process.  If one is easier to optimize, that is a small plus.  

Thanks for your input, Ralph
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:12:04 am by reburns »

ARD

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:24:18 pm »

Hello,

My comfort level is about $1600USD for an accurate monitor.  I have wasted hours this evening trying to find some clear side-by-side review.  I garner for the price there are:

Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
NEC LCD2690WUXi

I gather that the Eizo is higher bit depth, and has calibration software, and that I would need to get the NEC SV option to get their calibration software bundle.  I will attach this to my current Dell Precision M90 laptop (native 1920x1200, DVI out, Nvidia Quadro FX2500M) until I get a new workstation later this year.  I keep the ambient lighting in my office comparatively low.  I have a new i1D2. 

Is there straightforeward buyer's choice information out there?  Has someone compared side-by-side to be able to recommend one of these, or is there a better 3rd option?  I looked online at Prad but the available information didn't enlighten me.   I'd rather just get one with minimum hassle and not become a monitor expert in the process.  If one is easier to optimize, that is a small plus. 

Thanks for your input, Ralph
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have a look here

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9613&hl=monitor+choice]Monitor Thread[/url]

Kalin Wilson

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 10:30:38 pm »

Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
NEC LCD2690WUXi

I gather that the Eizo is higher bit depth, and has calibration software, and that I would need to get the NEC SV option to get their calibration software bundle.

Note that you don't have to buy the NEC SV version to get the calibration for the 2690. Since you already have a colorimter/spectrophotometer, you can purchase the cheaper non-SV version and buy the Spectraview calibration software directly from NEC ($99) and use your own color device.

I recently purchased the 2690wUXI after reading the discussions here and on HardOCP. The color consistency, and wide format are great and I'm really enjoying it!

Good luck!

reburns

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:40:40 am »

Note that you don't have to buy the NEC SV version to get the calibration for the 2690... ...I recently purchased the 2690wUXI after reading the discussions here and on HardOCP. The color consistency, and wide format are great and I'm really enjoying it!

Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Kalin,  I ordered a 2690 without the colorimeter a couple days ago when purchasing a new workstation for my engineering stuff (Dell made me an offer I couldn't refuse).  Although I think the NEC puck contains an additional filter to make it more compatible with their monitor, NEC said the difference was not worth getting their puck.  I will indeed just order the software.  

I hope it helps with printing.  I'm guessing it could because I think one way to view photography as the process of compressing the dynamic range of eyesight to media form, and the aRGB monitor can help with the compression process.  

Regards, Ralph

Gerry Boyd

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:10:27 am »

I recently purchased the 2690wUXI after reading the discussions here and on HardOCP. The color consistency, and wide format are great and I'm really enjoying it!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Kalin,

Now that you've used the 2690, I'd be interested in your observations regarding two concerns that Andrew Rodney and others have mentioned when using wide-gamut monitors. I'm considering an Apple 30" Cinema vs. the 2690wUXI, but unfortunately have no way to look at a 2690 to make my own assessment before buying.

- How does the 2690's color rendition look with web browsers and other non-color managed applications? (assuming you're using Windows)

- When using Photoshop or other color-managed applications, do you find that very small color differences are more difficult to see or notice any banding?

Thanks,
Gerry

LA30

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:59:41 pm »

I don't really like my apple 20"

NEC should announce a NEW 30" in about 2 weeks, full Adobe 1998.  I would wait for that.

Ken

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:22:50 pm »

You may want to consider LED technology for the price you quoted the Samsung XL20 would be a great choice.  

http://www.behardware.com/articles/654-1/x...st-lcd-led.html
Gerald J Skrocki

reburns

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:38:57 pm »

Thanks folks,

The time came overdue to order a new workstation, and Dell made me an offer on the NEC 2690 I couldn't refuse.  It's not here yet, but I'm glad to not have to think about it anymore.  However, my photo partner will be reading this as he's going thru the same choice.  Happy New Year, Ralph

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 09:42:30 am »

Although I think the NEC puck contains an additional filter to make it more compatible with their monitor, NEC said the difference was not worth getting their puck.  I will indeed just order the software. 

The only special filtered colorimeter NEC OME's is for the truly wide gamut, LED unit.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Gerry Boyd

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:09:51 am »

Andrew,

Could you give some perspective on the 2690 vs. an Apple Cinema or Dell 30"? This is primarily for photo editing but also used for other purposes, so I'm trying to get a better idea of the real-world trade-offs. As I recall, you favor the NEC for photo editing but believe it may not be the best choice for non-color managed applications. A summary of your concluisions and reccomendations would be very helpful for many here, I imagine.

I would expect to use this on a PC with CS3 and Lightroom, editing in 16 bit using the ProPhotoRGB color space. Calibration would be with an X-Rite DTP94 and NEC Spectraview software for the NEC, or ColorEyes for the Apple or Dell.

In partcular, I wonder

- How does the 2690's color rendition look with web browsers and other non-color managed applications? (assuming you're using Windows)

- When using Photoshop or other color-managed applications, do you find that very small color differences are more difficult to see or notice any banding? Are there actually significant trade-offs here, or am I concerned about nothing?

Thanks,
Gerry Boyd

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:13:02 am »

Andrew,
Could you give some perspective on the 2690 vs. an Apple Cinema or Dell 30"?

Not really since I have neither (I have a Cinema 23", the NEC is far, better in terms of purity and overall quality).

My web browser is color managed so all is fine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up