Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: options for glassless mounting some matte prints  (Read 3116 times)

spherop

options for glassless mounting some matte prints
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:21:59 pm »

i do some textural and industrial photography and am working with a welder friend to produce some unique metal frames that will be an extension of the work itself aesthetically.

i am printing on moab entrada matte paper. i'd likie to protect the prints but not necessarily with glass....

and mount them in such a way that they can be slid into a top slot in the metal frame resting inside the frame. a little ignorant on my options for this mounting, and archivability etc.

any ideas? feel free to spew questions at me if i am not explaining thoroughly enough.
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info

David Amos

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »

How about getting the prints laminated, that protects the print, the surface can be cleaned and it gives the paper structural strength to support itself without glass.

David

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:58:26 pm »

i do some textural and industrial photography and am working with a welder friend to produce some unique metal frames that will be an extension of the work itself aesthetically.

i am printing on moab entrada matte paper. i'd likie to protect the prints but not necessarily with glass....

and mount them in such a way that they can be slid into a top slot in the metal frame resting inside the frame. a little ignorant on my options for this mounting, and archivability etc.

any ideas? feel free to spew questions at me if i am not explaining thoroughly enough.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is the environment like where you'll be displaying the prints?  If the environmental concerns that affect print longevity are minimal and you don't expect the prints to last 100 years or more you may not need to do anything.

If you need some protection for the print and you're not worrying about kids touching the print surface or worse you might consider some of the products available such as PremierArt Print Shield.  

I have prints hung in my home where I like to see the paper and not the glass and PremierArt Print Shield is sufficient for me.  I really enjoy seeing the surface of some papers like Moab Entrada and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and the glass detracts from the experience for me.  

Obviously my home is not an art gallery and I'm in the position to make another print if something happens to what's hanging on the wall.  I don't have kids and my cats can't jump that high so I'm happy.      I'm not expecting the prints hanging on my walls to last 100-200 years.  

Some of my customers though do and they put the work behind glass.
Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:02:26 pm »

Laminate, then dry-mount to foamcore. Then you can use whatever frame you like, no glass, and not have to worry about the print being damaged.

seany

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 03:15:38 pm »

I like the idea of laminating and dry mounting,could you explain the dry mounting process,is it something one can do oneself?
Pages: [1]   Go Up