Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40D functions/user manual  (Read 3559 times)

stever

40D functions/user manual
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:54:44 pm »

i'd like to know what the "AF-ON" button adds - just spent a couple hours with the manual + trial and error to get the * button to work like my 20D and 5D

some of the new functions look like they're useful, but the manual seems to have reached a new low in obfuscating them

the new 2-layered menu is not an improvement as far as i can see - now the mirror lockup is really buried

before i sit down to a session of programing custom functions and "my menus" i'd love to hear form anyone who's sorted the useful stuff out

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 12:20:19 am »

the new 2-layered menu is not an improvement as far as i can see - now the mirror lockup is really buried

The two-layered menu is a great feature, classes better than the "jump" function of the 20D is. Now there are no hidden items, which can be accessed only by scrolling and scrolling...

Quick changing the MLU setting is really important, so important, that I put that in the customs setting. In another custom setting I combined the MLU with live view and bracketed exposure.

The point in live view is, that the mirror stays up between  the bracketed shots. One click and all three shots are done without mirror intervention.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:20:36 am by Panopeeper »
Gabor

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:24:28 am »

i'd like to know what the "AF-ON" button adds - just spent a couple hours with the manual + trial and error to get the * button to work like my 20D and 5D

Canon is moving their pro and prosumer lines closer together in handling and operation. Not sure I like it, but I'm learning.

OK, on th 40-D, the new AF-On button acts just like the * button on the 20-D, 5-D, and the 1-series cameras. You can program it the same way, to use thumb focus. In Canon's thinking, this lets you use the * button as an AE-Lock button and as a flash-spot-meter button. (But keep reading -- you can change this.)

So under C Fn IV: Operation/Others, Function #1 Shutter Button/AF-ON Button, choose #2, Metering Start/Meter+AF Start. That makes the AF-ON button operate like the * button on the other cameras, PLUS hitting the button will wake up the camera (which it doesn't do on my 20-D to my ever-loving exasperation.)

NOW, here is the important part: In that same set of custom functions, go to Function 2: AF-ON/AE Lock Button Switch, and choose "Enable." You have just swapped out the function of the * button and the AE-ON button. That means the * button is your autofocus button and the AF-ON button is your AE lock/flash meter button.

Note that swapping these buttons means you have also swapped their functions in playback mode. You may zoom in and out of an image, or choose the single/four/nine view using the +/- buttons -- but realize that the AF-ON button is now your "-" (minus) button. Hitting the * button cancels playback mode and wakes up the camera for shooting.

Are we awake yet? <g> There will be a short quiz later.

Now I am sort-of happy, since the * button works properly, but I have gotten used to the two-button operation of the 1-series cameras, allowing me to use either the full 45 points for AF or choose a selected point with the second button (now called the AF-ON button). Argh.

Anyway, the 40-D is a nice little camera, and you should be able to set it up the way you want. Good luck.

--Ken
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up