Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's metering system better, Canon or Nikon?  (Read 4726 times)

mattyoung

Who's metering system better, Canon or Nikon?
« on: December 19, 2007, 10:49:02 pm »

Often I hear Canon's flash system is less effective than Nikon.  Someone said this is because Canon's metering has fewer light sensor so can be easily fool by specular reflection, where as Nikon has large number of sensor to average things out better.  If this is the case, would this make Nikon better overall for flash and non-flash?  If you are just looking at metering system, which system is better?

TMcCulley

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:26:34 am »

If you have been following some of the topics on this forum about comparing cameras lately,  you should know that there is not a correct answer to this question for every person.  I suspect that each camera and each class of camera made by Nikon and  Canon could have arguments supporting both and in the end would be purely subjective.

You can get the specs from each of the Mfgs but that is only going to give you marketing numbers that probably will not answer the question asked.  Fortunately, the major brands are good enough you really cannot go wrong.  You pick the camera system (bodies, lenses, accessories) that feel right.  The weight, shape, eye position, ease of use, available specialty lenses you want use(macro,tilt shift,defocus and so on), and service policies are more important considerations.

The manufacturing tolerances used by the makers is wide enough that in most cases a given Canon model may be better that a given Nikon model but the camera you buy might be the one that is not quite that good.  The same applies to Nikon.  In other words it is a moving target and you will have to test and learn the weaknesses and strengths of whatever one you get.  All of the published tests, all the calm and not so calm discourse on this and other forums is just a starting points that you can use to do the tests to learn your specific equipment.

I shoot a Nikon D300 and I like the metering for both flash (I use an SB800) and non-flash but that does not mean that a comparable Canon model would not do just as well especially once you learned all its little tricks and traps.  I am just learning about what the SB800 and the D300 and the little surprises that I am sure will crop up.  

If flash, especially multi flash (not mutiple studio flashes) is going to be important to your style of photography then Nikon's i-TTL and 1,005-Pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering II probably has a edge on most of the other mfgs.  It is however only available on the higher end cameras (D200 and higher)

Have fun
Tom
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 03:47:51 am by TMcCulley »

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:21:45 pm »

....you should know that there is not a correct answer to this question for every person.  I suspect that each camera and each class of camera made by Nikon and  Canon could have arguments supporting both and in the end would be purely subjective.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am a longtime Nikon (D2h&x and now D3) shooter but I get a chance to use Canon MK bodies of all sorts because one of my Clients has a lot of them. Both Nikon and Canon metering systems are very good but both can be fooled. This is the same with the AF systems.

At Indy Car races, the Canon shooters seem to dial in just about the same amount of exposure comp when the sun is bright. If you don't go -1/3-2/3 the tops of the cars burn out. Neither system will get a good exposure by itself.

I think it simply amounts to what you are used to. The same goes for the AF system.

I will say that my D3 seems to be a quantum leap ahead of my D2x as far as metering is concerned. It seems to get almost perfect exposures without burning out highlights most of the time.

John Cote
www.johncotephotography.com
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:16:32 pm by jcote »
Pages: [1]   Go Up