Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: preparing 4000 for holiday  (Read 1428 times)

ricgal

preparing 4000 for holiday
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:57:46 am »

My 4000 has to be rune every day or else i can end up with 10 or 12 headcleans to get it firing on all cylinders again.  Does anyone know of a way to manually check the heads are parking correctly and therefore sealing properly so I can come back off hols and not have to waste £30 of ink.
Thanks in advance
regards
Ric
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:41:03 am »

Sorry, no - and I've been watching for hints like this for the past couple of years.  ( I assume you are powering off each time? - that's the only way to make sure the heads re-seat).

What you might try is as soon as you get back, run a test cycle and, if necessary one cleaning cycle - if that still doesn't work then, move the print head off the park position (push down on the small lever in front to unlock) and add a few drops of distilled water to the pads, then reseat the head over night.  This may not entirely eliminate the need for a cleaning cycle but should reduce the number you have to run.  Epson's advice is if a couple of cycles doesn't fix it then you should run a power clean - it should reduce the need for excessive cleaning cycles for the next "while".  The point is that if you run a large number of cycles that may get it going in the short run, but you will get better performance longer term with an occasional power clean.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 08:41:48 am by Tim Gray »

ricgal

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »

Sorry, no - and I've been watching for hints like this for the past couple of years.  ( I assume you are powering off each time? - that's the only way to make sure the heads re-seat).

What you might try is as soon as you get back, run a test cycle and, if necessary one cleaning cycle - if that still doesn't work then, move the print head off the park position (push down on the small lever in front to unlock) and add a few drops of distilled water to the pads, then reseat the head over night.  This may not entirely eliminate the need for a cleaning cycle but should reduce the number you have to run.  Epson's advice is if a couple of cycles doesn't fix it then you should run a power clean - it should reduce the need for excessive cleaning cycles for the next "while".  The point is that if you run a large number of cycles that may get it going in the short run, but you will get better performance longer term with an occasional power clean.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go!
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:13:06 pm »

When I'd leave my 4000 for extended periods, I put a small bowl of water near it just to raise the humidity a little.

I've also heard it's good to take the cartridges out and give them a shake to help reduce clogs.

I go to another home for 6-8 weeks at a time and I never had any clog problems with the 4000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up