Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FCP Still image sizing  (Read 8715 times)

skibum187

FCP Still image sizing
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

I've been working on slideshows/ vodcasts containing a lot of still images. I've read through all the tutorials about how you need to compress the vertical axis of the images by 10% to compensate for non-square pixels. However, after much frustation and throwing of objects, I realized that Final Cut was automatically compensating for my square pixels.
So... all my compressed images were getting even more compressed. Ok, well I'll try importing them in directly from the original file... and now FC is trying to fit the entire image into the frame without letterboxing, so everything on the horizontal axis is now compressed.
In order to circumvent this issue, I started compressing the files by .02%, just enough to where FC wouldn't auto-compress them on import.

This works, but is still a pain in the ass. What's going on here? I did some browsing around the web to try and find why FC is compensating on its own, but can't find any info on it....
I like the fact that I don't have to do the 10% compression, but is there any way I can force it to letterbox and keep the same aspect ratio without "filling the frame"?
I know I can if I use Quicktime H.264, but I want to use Compressor.
Ideas?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:16:00 pm by skibum187 »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
FCP Still image sizing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »

Don't letterbox your project, make a project with the aspect ratio you're actually using (16:9 or whatever), and export to 4:3 format only when absolutely necessary. Doing the export right will automatically add the black bars at the top & bottom of the frame. But working in the project keeping things within the 16:9 frame will be a lot easier.

skibum187

FCP Still image sizing
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:22:56 pm »

Ok, I've never worked in 16:9, I've been working in NTSC DV (3:2).  

So do I only need to export as 16:9 anamorphic or do I need to change my sequence settings to 16:9? (and then all that is offered is 16:9 HD [1080i, 720p, tv and DVCPRO]).
And then, if I do switch to edit in HD, aren't the pixels square instead of 0.9?

Edit: Just saw the Anamorphic 16:9 checkbox in the sequence settings....so I'm guessing I stay in NTSC DV 3:2 with a 720x480 frame size, NTSC  CCIR 601/DV and check the Anamorphic 16:9 box?
Am I correct?

I also still don't know why FC is automatically correcting my stills....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:32:23 pm by skibum187 »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
FCP Still image sizing
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:48:13 pm »

I think so, but I'm actually more familiar with Premiere. If your source material is primarily in 16:9 format and that is your preferred output aspect ratio, it makes more sense to make your project 16:9. You shouldn't need to go HD if your footage is SD, unless you see a possibility of upgrading your output at some point. There is a NTSC standard for SD 16:9 720x480 video; I would be very surprised if FC didn't support it, as it is almost universally used for widescreen format DVDs. I'm guessing that's what that check box does. Give it a try and see if it works. Of course, the non-squareness will stretch vertically instead of horizontally...

skibum187

FCP Still image sizing
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 01:34:50 pm »

Yup, played around with it a bit and checking the 16:9 box works.... now I just need to do some tests to make sure my aspect ratio is 100% correct (stills to video is such a headache).

The only problem is, is that 1. my still images aren't 16:9... which is fine, but I'll have to do some cropping, or just output as 4:3 if I have to, and 2. I have some clips from an older camera that are also in 4:3.... which when mixed with new camera 16:9 is going to create more headaches.....

ugh.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:35:18 pm by skibum187 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up