Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using photo black on matte papers  (Read 12808 times)

spherop

using photo black on matte papers
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:57:14 am »

someone i know who does a lot of professional printing using an 9800 told me that photo black is fine to use on matte papers, ie., prints as well as the matte. is this him not wanting to switch cartridges to save $? or is there some reasonable truth in it?
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:41:52 pm »

someone i know who does a lot of professional printing using an 9800 told me that photo black is fine to use on matte papers, ie., prints as well as the matte. is this him not wanting to switch cartridges to save $? or is there some reasonable truth in it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161464\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't speak to the 9800 as I don't have one but on my 2200 the print driver won't allow me to print on matte paper if I have a photo black cart in the printer.
Regards,
Ron

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:47:19 pm »

You can get profiles that allow PK printing  on MK paper and the reverse.  I think you just don't get blacks that are as deep and dark (often referred to as D-Max).  

I've done it.  In a pinch, it works okay, but the difference is noticeable.  Subtle, but noticeable.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:55:28 pm »

I can't speak to the 9800 as I don't have one but on my 2200 the print driver won't allow me to print on matte paper if I have a photo black cart in the printer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161477\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here. With both the 2400 and older 7600, the Epson driver won't let you print on matte paper with photo black ink; the matte paper choices will be grey'd out if you have photo black ink loaded.

As I understand it, the paper choice sets all sorts of parameters "under the hood" such as ink limits, grey channel replacement, and where in the curve cyan is replaced by light cyan, etc. The matte black ink in theory should give a better D-max on matte paper because its large particles of pigment sit on top of the paper, while photo black ink soaks deep into the paper and gets lost.

Interestingly, HP spells out explicitly what the paper settings are doing with the Z3100 printer, including which black ink is used, total ink limits, head height etc. in one of their technical PDF's.  With this printer you can use both matte and photo black at the same time with some papers, and the effect can be kind of interesting due to the different reflectance of the two inks.

Sven W

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 03:25:32 pm »

It works ok on some papers, but most of it is what InkjetArt wrote:

"The disadvantage of Epson's micro-encapsulated Photo Black ink is that is slightly interferes with the density of its black D-Max when used on coated matte papers, i.e. Epson's Enhanced Matte or other coated fine art papers i.e. Epson's Somerset Velvet. The use of Epson's Photo Black ink on non-coated papers is almost a disaster, as it bleeds and muddies the overall image considerably."

The reverse is worse; Mk on glossy papers just rub off! It don't "penetrate" the surface.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

booksmartstudio

• http://www.booksmartstudio.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 04:57:15 pm »

You can print PK on matte paper but it looks very muted and bad.  Would not suggest it, although possible.  If you are using a low end paper that cannot hold much ink you may not see the difference.
Kory Gunnasen
Digital Printing Lab Mana

spherop

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 01:39:20 am »

k- i really appreciate all the info here. seems clear what the concensus is.
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info
Pages: [1]   Go Up